Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineaallonharja
free radical
Shiitaki & Agaricus Lo-tek grow thread
    #3746906 - 02/07/05 05:53 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

This thread dedicated for perfecting simple nonsterile kitchen/home culture techniques.

At the moment I am using quickly boiled brown rice and 35% Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) at 1,5 milliliters per liter of water used for the rice. Kind of high, I think, but I want to be sure. May be 0,5 milliliters of 35% H2O2 would have been well enough...

I boiled the rice in 2/3rds of the total water recommended in the packet. Mind you this is 'parboiled' rice, which means it has been steamed in high pressures for some time to force taste and nutrients from the 'skins' to the kernel, then polished - so it is a compromise between white rice and brown rice AFAIK.

After boiling I made sure the rice cooled to below 60 C / 140 F as H2O2 breaks down in higher temperatures than this, and mixed in the last 1/3rd of water with the H2O2 (all of it for all of the water in the rice :wink: ). Let it soak, in 10 minutes it will be gone.

Then I took some cheapo freezer boxes with lids, ? liter = pint, and divided the rice into the boxes, and sprayed some H2O2 water @ 3 milliliters per liter on the rice and on the underside of the lids.

I then took fresh shiitaki & agaricus caps + some chinese grown imported dried shiitake and selected the most vigorous and intact and healthy looking ones.

I ripped the donor-shrooms in half, and after sterilizing a knife in a butane torch flame, I cut out a piece, avoinding contact with the skin of the mushroom. And these pieces I tossed on the rice in the boxes and sprayed generously at the pieces.

The dry shiitaki needed more forceful approach, but basically the same procedure was used.

I loaded the boxes in a bin, and placed the bin in a place with constant 27 C degrees temperature. This was all done in a unclean and messy kitchen. No sterility measures other than boiling the rice for about 20 minutes and H2O2 were followed.

Any bets?

I hope I can ditch the H2O2 sooner or later and just use fresh wood and worm compost, maybe well composted horse manure. :heart:

--------------------
chinese shiitaki, cultivated shiitaki and french button agaricus in the works...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineaallonharja
free radical
Re: Shiitaki & Agaricus Lo-tek grow thread [Re: aallonharja]
    #3747028 - 02/07/05 06:24 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

For later:

http://www.foodproductdesign.com/archive/1999/0499ap.html
Quote:

"Phixing the pH
Most pathogens thrive within a fairly narrow pH range, but they can grow across a fairly wide range that coincides with that of many foods. For example, Staphylococcus aureus has optimal growth between pH 7.0 to 7.5, but will survive in a range of 4.2 to 9.3. A pH from 6.0 to 7.0 is optimum for Escherichia coli, but it will grow from 4.4 to 9.0.

Depending on the microorganism, a low pH can act as a bacteriostat (inhibit microbial growth) or a bacteriocide (kill microorganisms). In most cases the reduced pH acts in concert with other factors - such as increasing the effectiveness of heat treatments or optimizing preservatives - and provides a hurdle to limit growth rather than providing complete safety. That reduced pH doesn't provide complete safety has become painfully evident in the past several years, as acidic beverages such as unpasteurized apple and orange juices have been found to harbor E. coli 0157:H7 and Salmonella.

These acid environments might fall outside the microbial-growth norm, but low-acid foods are ideal for supporting microbial growth. The FDA defines low-acid foods as any that have a finished equilibrium pH greater than 4.6 and a water activity (Aw) greater than 0.85. Without complete sterilization to prevent microbial growth, particularly that of Clostridium botulinum in hermetically sealed packages, foods must have an acid pH. Some, such as tomatoes and oranges, come that way naturally. For those that don't, numerous food-grade acidulants can drop the pH.

The most commonly used acids in the food industry are citric, lactic, malic, acetic (vinegar), fumaric, tartaric, and phosphoric acids. With the exception of phosphoric, these are all organic acids and occur naturally in many foods. Other acidic ingredients, such ascorbic acid, citric acid-containing lemon or benzoic acid-containing cranberry juices, might be added. Additionally, acid-producing fermentations by friendly bacteria might also help achieve a target pH.

Fatty acids have also demonstrated the ability to prevent microbial growth. Lactic and acetic are considered short-chain fatty acids, and they inhibit gram-negative and gram-positive bacteria. Medium-chain saturated fatty acids (C8 to C14), especially lauric acid, restrict the growth of gram-positive microbes. Increased chain lengths, branching and other structural variations typically decrease their potency. Esterification often positively influences the antimicrobial effect; in many cases the monoglyceride is more effective than the fatty acid alone.

The antimicrobial activity of some acids does not come strictly from pH reduction. They also work through the antimicrobial effects of the undissociated ions in solution. Short-chain undissociated acids can pass through cell walls and disrupt cellular metabolism."

Meaning that I plant to incorporate lactic acid, citric acid (lemon juice) and acetic acid (white vinegar) into the Lo tek to help keep the baddies at bay.

Quote:

In one study, conducted by researcher Susan Summer, department of food science and technology at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, fruits and vegetables were contaminated with Salmonella, Shigella and E. coli and then washed with a spray of hydrogen peroxide followed by acetic acid. While the H2O2 alone was fairly effective, the second spray of acetic acid improved the results tenfold.

Lactic and other acids can make effective washes for meat and poultry to keep the microbial count down. "Lactic acid is able to kill bacteria, giving a reduction between log one and log three," says DeVegt. "Manufacturers use about 2% lactic acid in a water solution as a final wash, before the carcass is chilled. It will kill up to about 99.9% of the bacteria. And if you leave it on the carcass surface, it will also have a bacteriostatic effect and inhibit the growth of bacteria." This same sort of treatment could also be used for cooked sausages, such as frankfurters, applied as a spray before peeling, he says.

--------------------
chinese shiitaki, cultivated shiitaki and french button agaricus in the works...

Edited by aallonharja (02/07/05 06:28 PM)

Offlineaallonharja
free radical
    #3754827 - 02/09/05 04:21 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I guess lactic acid or acetic acid is why pasteurizing works?

Well, in any case, the live shiitaki transplants have started :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

They are colonizing the rice!! The french buttons are just sitting around.. maybe they would like compost or something?

--------------------

InvisibleSpeeker

#3788713 - 02/16/05 10:05 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Any progress?

:sun:

Offlineaallonharja
free radical
Re: Shiitaki & Agaricus Lo-tek grow thread [Re: Speeker]
    #3792275 - 02/17/05 07:56 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Ok, as many probably would have guessed, the agaricus didnt do anything. I have some CT worm caste so maybe agaricus will be tested later.

Two of the shiitaki boxes were contaminated: another one had mold from what looked like a piece of mushroom that had fallen into the box by accident, and another had succumbed to some slimey thing.. All the other ones are growing nice-n-rhizomey, even the ones that were from dried mushrooms.

But.. I think the show is far from over.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate