Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineottoreck
Stranger
Terrarium Size #2
    #374547 - 08/19/01 11:17 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Newbie here starting off with the PF tek. I have a question about terrarium size. I've been looking in thrift stores and pet shops for terrariums and equariums and I'm wondering how tall should they be? How much vertical space do I need to allow for the growing mushrooms?

Should I look for a taller terrarium then longer? Something more square as they show in the Tek or is rectangular okay as long as it's a certain height?

Thanks...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecantara
Loc: Beyond the sun
Re: Terrarium Size #2 [Re: ottoreck]
    #374550 - 08/19/01 11:23 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Obviously, it all depends on the sizes of your tray(s) or if you are using cakes or what. For my money, growing from cakes isn't even worth considering. Use trays; start with only 1 or 2 maybe 15" by 10" or something and get a terrarium that just allows you to fit one or two of these in there....this will be fine.....you want enough room for you to be able to move trays in and out, clean the thing, change perlite etc - and for the mushrooms to have room to grow - but much extra room isn't such a good thing, I would think, because it requires more air exchange (there is more air TO exchange) and the humidity will have a larger area to "cover". The smallest area you can provide that will allow you to do all you need to do, and leaves the mushrooms enough room to grow, is perfect.

Good luck!

---- Cantara

Commanding in another world
Suddenly you hear and see
This magic new dimension

- Queensryche, "Silent Lucidity"

--------------------
---- Cantara

[green]Shroomism, please don't delete this thread![/green]

Offlineottoreck
Stranger
Re: Terrarium Size #2 [Re: cantara]
    #374558 - 08/19/01 11:43 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks, but I think I'm going to try the cake Tek for my very first time...not sure if I'm ready for trays.

My question still stands. How tall are my mushrooms going to get? I need to know how tall of a terrarium I should get.

Should I allow like 12" from the top of the cake or should it be more or less?

Thanks again...

InvisibleMikeO
Stranger

#374559 - 08/19/01 01:26 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

When I first started out with cakes, I bought two 10 gallon aquariums from PetSmart. They were perfect for what the PF TEK outlines as a dual-chambered terrarium. You can use these for one big tray or two small tray when you move up to casing.

MikeO

BTW, those 10 gal tanks were like $9.00 or something at the time (1996).

Offlineottoreck
Stranger
Re: Terrarium Size #2 [Re: MikeO]
    #375587 - 08/21/01 10:50 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks MikeO, but I'm still wondering about equarrium/terrarium height. I've seen some 10 gallon equarriums at PetCo for like $10, but that are recangular - longer than tall. The PF Tek shows a square, tall 10 gallon tank.

How tall should my terrarium be? I saw in a post on the Shroom Wizard's Tek that one should have a miniumum height of 50 cm or about 20".

Thanks...

Invisiblemrshrums
    #375594 - 08/21/01 11:06 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Well, I would guess it depends on what kind of shrooms your growing. From what I've read the standard P. Cubensis is about 3 inches long. I have grown some upto 5 or 6 inches, but if you look in the gallery there are some real tall ass shrooms in there. I would recommend getting something atleast 12" to 15" high. I think my setup is about 15" - 18" and I haven't even come close to hitting the top of it. They don't always grow straight up remember. Even if they do and you got a shroom that is hitting the top of a 12" in terrarium I'm not going to feel bad for you because more than likely your going to be able to trip your balls off just off of that shroom.
Oh and wether it is sqaure or rectangle I dont' think matters much just as long as you are giving your self about 2-3" inches for spacing between each cake. It is kind of tight but I got 12 pf half pint cakes in a terrarium about 27"L x 15"w x 15" h. Just estimates

Edited by mrshrums on 08/21/01 12:11 PM.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract