Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleNeedMoreSleep
OCD = 100%Sterility :-)

Loc: One Inch ↑
Just finished PC'ing my rye, got a question...
    #3728388 - 02/04/05 12:08 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Ok, so I've searched on here for about 30 mins and can't find any relative info on this so I'll start with how I prepared my grain. By the way, as a new member of this forum, I find it sad that I feel I need to establish with everyone that I searched for this info myself first, but I'm stoned and I degress...  Anyway, I soaked my rye in water for 24 hrs, then drained, rinsed, and simmered for 45 - 60 mins until just about every piece of rye looked bloated I guess you could say.  Then I rinsed again, and let drain for 20 mins.  Then I loaded back into jars (wide mouth qts), and left room at the top to shake.  At this point I then PC'd them, two at a time for 60 mins.  When done PC'ing I just turned off the heat, moved the PC off the burner, and let the pressure release on its own.  After about 20 mins or so (was watchin TV so I'm not really sure about this time),  after the pressure had been released all the way, I pulled em out.  Now I can really see why some people talk about shaking them while they're still hot so it'll keep em from sticking.  Anyway, in one of the jars, it is like one giant mass.  When I shake it, it doesn't break up, it just moves in one piece.  I've never heard anyone talk about anything like that, so here I am.  Also, on another jar, it looks very dry, but it still clumped up some when I shook it.  Whats up with these two jars?  Also, I won't have the spores for probably 2-3 days, so will these jars keep for a couple days, or am I wasting my time sterilizing these right now?  I'm using tyvek between the lid and the band, with 5 3/16th inch holes in them...

BTW, I just read through that, and I wasn't tryin to talk shit about anyone on here, or about this board, but I just get confused why people will ask questions without doing a little research first, then can't even understand the answer to thier questions half the time. :confused: Wow, I'm loaded, sorry for the novel.

--------------------

"Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil,
which we must fear most. And that is... the indifference of good men."
-Boondock Saints

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDamn_Skippy
Fell off theWagon

Re: Just finished PC'ing my rye, got a question... [Re: NeedMoreSleep]
    #3728456 - 02/04/05 12:18 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I don't believe they are going to last that long. If not from contams, but from the rye may open up... that's bad

--------------------
~Skipp
"I like cigarettes, Miss Taggart. I like to think of fire held in a man's hand. Fire, a dangerous force, tamed at his fingertips. I often wonder about the hours when a man sits alone, watching the smoke of a cigarette, thinking. I wonder what great things have come alive from such hours. When a man thinks, there is a spot of fire alive in his mind---and it is proper that he should have the burning point of a cigarette as his one expression."

Offlinegsmith
reformed lurker
Re: Just finished PC'ing my rye, got a question... [Re: Damn_Skippy]
    #3729230 - 02/04/05 07:03 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

bah they'll be fine. I've got some jars that I PC'ed a week ago that I'm doing a g2g on tonight and they're still fine. Once it's PC'ed, if you keep it sealed it won't contam unless you didn't PC it right. Also, with the clumping, it sounds like you may have simmered it too long and a lot of the kernels opened up releasing a lot of starch, which can make things sticky. It isn't the end of the world and the jars should still colonize, albeit a little slower. Worst case scenario (which I doubt is the case here) you'll at least get some mycelial growth that you can plate on agar and have a good starting point for another go at it.

--------------------
------
this is a signature

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Just finished PC'ing my rye, got a question... [Re: gsmith]
    #3729236 - 02/04/05 07:08 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Right, any grains PC'd correctly will last awhile pre-inoculation. You definitely have some time, I've waited up to 2 weeks with no issues with grains before.

As for clumping and moisture issues, you'll have to figure that out on your own and try to correct it next batch. (add, substract water, soak times, etc.)

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

InvisibleNeedMoreSleep

Re: Just finished PC'ing my rye, got a question... [Re: Holydiver]
    #3730168 - 02/04/05 12:28 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Cool, thanx guys, I figured they would stay sterile, I was just worried about water content being lost. Anyway, I don't think I simmered them too long because there's only about 5% MAX of the kernels busted, so we'll see here in a couple days how it works out.

Thanx for the answers guys...

--------------------

-Boondock Saints

OfflineGr8fulJ420
strange but nota stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: 0 moco
    #3730202 - 02/04/05 12:39 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

When you PCed the jars, were the resting on the bottom of the PC or were they on a little rack/tray thing? I found that the bottoms of my jars would sometimes split and get all nasty and clumpy and take much longer to colonize. The last few times I've PCd I but a small towel underneath the jars and they all came out perfect.

Good luck!

InvisibleNeedMoreSleep

Re: Just finished PC'ing my rye, got a question... [Re: Gr8fulJ420]
    #3730275 - 02/04/05 12:50 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I could only fit 2 jars in at a time and they were about 1/8" too tall to stand them up. I put a kitchen towel folded in half in the bottom of the PC, and used 2 short drinking glasses to hold them up in about a 45 degree position. I didn't want to lay them down completely horizontally... Should be ok?

--------------------

-Boondock Saints

Offlinegsmith
reformed lurker
    #3744529 - 02/07/05 08:26 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

as long as the tyvek filters weren't submersed in water, or low enough that water could splash up onto them.

--------------------
------
this is a signature

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Just finished PC'ing my rye, got a question... [Re: gsmith]
    #3744571 - 02/07/05 08:52 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

gsmith said:Once it's PC'ed, if you keep it sealed it won't contam unless you didn't PC it right.

Just my experiance. The sooner you use it, after PC'ing, the better off you are. a few days is as far out as I go.

Over an extended time, jars will eventualy either lose a lot of moisture, or contaminate. Unless stored in clean room conditions, with high rh, so they don't lose any moisture content.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag