Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Poutine andSodomy
Male User Gallery

Loc: O-H-I-O
unsure if i have cob web or not...
    #3723484 - 02/03/05 06:06 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I've done several grows up to this point (including some spawning to straight straw )but this is the first time i've done a 50/50 straw worm castings grow and i'm unsure if i've got cob web. I wish i could take a pic, but i have no digital camera.

Anyway... I've got very strong mycelium growth coming through maybe 25% of the top of both containers, but theres also some growth coming off of the vigorous locations... I can't tell if it is just wispy mycelium that hasn't had a chance to fill out yet, or if it is cobweb. Would cobweb take over the container in a matter of days like it does a jar, or would it take longer? It doesn't seem to be spreading at an insane rate so I think I may just be being paranoid, but I guess we'll see.

edit: i forgot, from what i can tell everything smells mushroomy... Does cobweb have an odor?

i know it's hard to tell anything w/o a pic but any info would be appreciated

11/25/07 first time entrant ban lottery champion

Edited by disturbed (02/03/05 07:02 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, ( CT )
Re: unsure if i have cob web or not... [Re: disturbed]
    #3723959 - 02/03/05 10:57 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Cob-web is thinner, and spreads rather fast, but it won't grow to the contour of the grains. It will be thin and fluffy, except where it hits the glass.

It also tends to grow lumpy in nature. There doesn't seem to be an origin. EG, Mycelium starts at one point and grows outward in almost perfect circles. Cob-web starts and then grows in globs, randomly around, like cow patches, as opposed to a growing dot.

Cob-web also lacks runners of any kind that are visable. Mycelium has thicker rope-like runners that reach outward from the origins. The cob-web has them, but they are so thin and small that you wouldn't notice them in the growth.

However, If you see a green/grey tint in the center of the mycelium, then it is the Look-alike green mold. It runs out like mycelium, but the origin starts to change to green/grey. It can even make nodes that are pure white, with grey centers... looking like primordia pin development.

All white, and runners = good...

Besides, cob-web mold is rather harmless and weak. Mycelium will usually dominate and no harm will come from eating a cake with cob-web on it. It is the green/grey/red/blue/black stuff that will make you sick/kill you.

Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
I support www.shroomery.org (Team # 12679)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation