Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BMX Tricks
The Teachings of Don Juan
    #3720190 - 02/02/05 07:11 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Ok, i have personally taken so much from the series of books by Carlos Casteneda. I have talked to a few people who are equally intrigued by it, but I also talk to a few people who discard it completely, and claim that it was all allegory and not a true, true story. Other people believe that Don Juan was a character who represented the culmination of all his experiences while in Mexico.

From reading all of his books, twice, I dont think it is possible to write about some of the characteristics that he give to Don Juan, i really think he existed at one point in time..... Any comments or thoughts on this?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Loc: BC province
Re: The Teachings of Don Juan [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #3722248 - 02/03/05 12:35 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I don't think it matters whether or not it's a 'true' story... like I talked to some guys who were like, "Yeah, I was all into Carlos Castenada until I learned he just made all that shit up." who cares? the point is, are you getting anything from it?

I gave the Don Juan books two tries. I find them pretty limp and overblown

InvisibleToolTroll
tourettic
Male User Gallery

Loc: N. Cack
    #3722273 - 02/03/05 12:38 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, I love these books! I, too, have gotten so much out of "Don Juan's" philosophies. I don't really think it matters whether he existed or not, the point is not that a wise old man shows you new ways of thinking, the point is the new way of thinking. Like Jesus to Christianity (or aliens to Stonehenge), the important part is the system of beliefs that are involved and that stimulate the mind. And Don Juan isn't even in some of the later books, Carlos is on his own in the strange old/new world that is revealed to him through "sorcery". Anyway, I think he really did exist. What a character he must have been! Now Don Genaro was pretty crazy-maybe he was the made up one. I do suggest these books to anyone who hasn't read them, though! Peace!

--------------------
"This whole idea that different is bad, that a change in consciousness is in itself harmful, is really one of the fundamental problems inherent in the drug war.” - Rick Doblin
my cactus collection
You vote with your dollars. Everyday. Vote responsibly.

Offlinegoob
Sleepy

#3724462 - 02/03/05 01:52 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I watched that movie 9th gate by what'isname and the bookseller lovingly fondles ancient copies of Don Quixote and I think oh no I've got to wade thru that now.

There were some interesting points one of which was Quixoto's mention of an "ally".

I don't remember if Castenada identifys his 'ally' but I suspect like spirit-guides they are anonymous.

Another interesting note by the translator was that firearms were not allowed in hunting untill 150 years after Cervante's death in @ 1650.

One more thing was when he quoted "Peace on Earth to men of goodwill" and then I thought 'whose got things backwards?'

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
Re: The Teachings of Don Juan [Re: goob]
    #3725843 - 02/03/05 07:30 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

ToolTroll, i couldnt have said it better myself. You Rock like a gravel path. I have taken more philosophy and life lessons from these books than almost anything else. Everytime I flip through the series, i am amazed at how well he has put into words some indescribable theology and spirituality. I am reading one right now at work, and most of the people that come by always say "yeah, i read that in college, it was pretty interesting, BACK THEN", and then I feel as if the entire point was lost on them. It wasnt just reading about someones trips or experiences, however entertaining they were. That was mostly fodder compared to what Don Juan says and the way he goes about making You (the reader) and Carlos come to these spiritual insights on their own.
STORY TIME: I asked my dad if he had ever read any Carlos Casteneda. He said No. So I told him a nice summary about Don Juan and everything. He seemed to lighten up as he peiced something together in his head and he told me about it. He told me that about 20 years ago, one of his buddies had suddenly vanished, and the last thing anyone heard from him was that he was going to look for Don Juan. My father never heard from him again until 15 or so years after this, he got a note from this guy, which he had saved for some reason, and showed me: " Found Don Juan, everything is ok". and that was it, short and sweet. However Don Juan would have been dead by the time he got down had he been real. Im sure it was a reference to a state of mind. For some reason, I want to go back and find that letter and look at the return address and investigate this.

Offlinegoob
Sleepy

#3730273 - 02/04/05 02:50 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

?I intend to teach you about an "ally" in the very same way my own benefactor taught me. An "ally" is a power a man can bring into his life to help him, advise him, and give him the strength necessary to perform acts, whether big or small, right or wrong. This ally is necessary to enhance a man's life, guide his acts, and further his knowledge. In fact, an ally is the indispensable aid to knowing.
An ally will make you see and understand things about which no human being could possible enlighten you. It is neither a guardian nor a spirit. It is an aid. An ally is tamed and used.
The acquiring of an ally requires the most precise teaching and the following of stages or steps without a single deviation. There are many such ally powers in the world. An ally is a power capable of carrying a man beyond the boundaries of himself. This is how an ally can reveal matters no human being could. An ally takes you out of yourself to give you power.
Learning through conversation is not only a waste, but stupidity, because learning is the most difficult task a man can undertake.?

?Learning thru conversation is stupid??????

from
http://www.prismagems.com/castaneda/donjuanAtoE.html

Edited by goob (02/04/05 03:03 PM)

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
    #3731588 - 02/04/05 06:54 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Yes, it is. If all my world knowledge or lack of it, was gleemed from just sitting down and talking to people, i would be one ignorant person. Nothing anyone can ever say to you , will be true to you, until you experience this first hand. Sure you can take scientific facts and mathematics, and teach someone them through just telling them, but what Don Juan is referring to is spiritual knowledge, and how to become a man of knowledge, which none of those things can be learned at the foot of any person. The only way you can truly learn and KNOW something is if you experience it. I can tell you that 2+3=5, but until you actually have two apples, then someone gives you three apples, and you see that you now have 5 apples, then it is true FOR you, not just true TO you.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media