Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Non-sex genes 'link to gay trait'
    #3709381 - 01/31/05 08:36 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I think this goes under science. If not please move it to where appropiate.
Non-sex genes 'link to gay trait'
Quote:

Multiple genes - and not just the sex chromosomes - are important in sexual orientation, say US scientists.

A University of Illinois team, which has screened the entire human genome, say there is no one 'gay' gene.

Writing in the journal Human Genetics, they said environmental factors are also likely to be involved.

The findings add to the debate over whether sexual orientation is a matter of choice. Campaigners say equality is the more important issue.

Non-sex genes

Much of the past genetic research into male homosexuality had focused solely on the X chromosome, passed down to boys by their mother, according to lead researcher Dr Brian Mustanski.

His team looked at all 22 pairs of non-sex chromosomes of 456 individuals from 146 families with two or more gay brothers.

hey found several identical stretches of DNA that were shared among gay siblings on chromosomes other than the female X.

About 60% of these brothers shared identical DNA on three chromosomes - chromosome 7, 8 and 10.

Complex trait

If it were down to chance, only 50% of these stretches would be shared, said the authors.

The region found on chromosome 10 correlated with sexual orientation only when it was inherited from the mother.

Dr Mustanski said the next step would be to see if the findings could be confirmed by further studies, and to identify the particular genes within the newly discovered sequences that are linked to sexual orientation.

"Our study helps to establish that genes play an important role in determining whether a man is gay or heterosexual," he said, but added that other factors were also important.

"Sexual orientation is a complex trait. There is no one 'gay' gene.

"Our best guess is that multiple genes, potentially interacting with environmental influences, explain differences in sexual orientation."

Alan Wardle from the gay rights charity Stonewall said: "It's an interesting study that contributes further to the debate.

"Regardless of whether sexual orientation is determined by nature or nurture or both, the most important thing is that lesbians and gay men are treated equally and are allowed to live their life without discrimination."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: Non-sex genes 'link to gay trait' [Re: daussaulit]
    #3709428 - 01/31/05 08:41 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I cant believe millions of dollars are going to fund this kind of research. Sorry i can't contribute more but we have to fight tooth and nail to get funding for legitamate medical research and this pisses me off.

Being gay is just a choice that incorperates your background, development, psychological issues, etc. This whole "genetic" thing is just something that some gays use to justify it...but there is nothing that needs justification, its ok to be gay and you don't have to blame it on genetics or anything.

edit:
Quote:

About 60% of these brothers shared identical DNA on three chromosomes - chromosome 7, 8 and 10.

Complex trait

If it were down to chance, only 50% of these stretches would be shared, said the authors.

LOL, if that isn't questionable science, i don't know what is. From a guy who knows how science funding works, they had to say something like that to justify it and recieve more funding. It really says nothing.

Edited by Catalysis (01/31/05 08:48 PM)

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Re: Non-sex genes 'link to gay trait' [Re: Catalysis]
    #3709490 - 01/31/05 08:51 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I could see how it is valid. I've heard that the physical shape of the pituitary gland is different. Also if you look on TV, most gay men sound feminine and have a lisp. Why is that?

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#3709604 - 01/31/05 09:06 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Some of them do it on purpose because that is their identity and how they like to be viewed. Im not just saying this, this comes from a gay person that i know who talks feminine with a lisp. If you ask him to, he will talk perfectly normal just like you or me.

InvisibleLe_Canard
Danger Man

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #3709628 - 01/31/05 09:10 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Catalysis said:
I cant believe millions of dollars are going to fund this kind of research. Sorry i can't contribute more but we have to fight tooth and nail to get funding for legitamate medical research and this pisses me off.

Well, it may seem trivial but consider this: ANY research on the human genome contributes to the overall knowledge of the human DNA structure. For example, a search for the so-called "gay gene" could lead to the discovery of the cause of a much more serious genetic disorder....

Offlinecb9fl
Senior ChildMolestationExpert
Loc: florida
Re: Non-sex genes 'link to gay trait' [Re: Le_Canard]
    #3709725 - 01/31/05 09:27 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

For example, a search for the so-called "gay gene" could lead to the discovery of the cause of a much more serious genetic disorder....

Heh implying that being gay is a serious genetic disorder. Heh

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

#3709743 - 01/31/05 09:30 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Sorta like hugh jackman or colin farrell talking with an american accent? Does he normally speak femininely and with a lisp?

Anyways, this research could pose a big problem. Christians may finally be able to claim with proof that homosexuality is a genetic disorder, and beg for money to find a cure. This spells only bad news.

Offlinecb9fl
    #3709798 - 01/31/05 09:40 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I have asked this before but no one seemed to want to answer.

How do homosexuals explain their sexual preference in response to evolutionary theory or Creationism?

Christianity as a basis of Creationism would seem to simply regard homosexuals as deviants who are doing something wrong. They could be seen in the same light as pedophiles or the like who have a certain sexual preference that needs to be overcome.

Evolution seems to me to rule out homosexuality as a legitimate sexual preference. If anything it would seem to be some sort of genetic error since it does not support procreation.

What argument do homosexuals use to give their sexual preference legitimacy in light of Evolution or Creationism?

Note I'm not arguing for or against gay rights simply trying to understand their point of view.

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: Non-sex genes 'link to gay trait' [Re: cb9fl]
    #3710152 - 01/31/05 10:40 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Oh i totally forgot to mention that!!

This was always my real argument why homosexuality is not a genetic disorder. How the fuck can it be a genetic disorder when gays can't have kids!

Sure, some of them have kids before they know they were gay, etc. but that would never be enough for it to persist evolutionarilly. I suppose if it were a recessive trait it *might* stand a chance but these researchers showed >60% identical genes and totally neglected to address the issue of reproduction from an evolution standpoint. Like i said, fuzzy science at best.

InvisibleLe_Canard
Danger Man

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #3710162 - 01/31/05 10:41 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

cb9fl said:
For example, a search for the so-called "gay gene" could lead to the discovery of the cause of a much more serious genetic disorder....

Heh implying that being gay is a serious genetic disorder. Heh

Hehe! I guess I should've worded that wee bit differently. For the record, I wasn't implying that at all... :crazy:

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

#3710557 - 01/31/05 11:59 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Catalysis said:This was always my real argument why homosexuality is not a genetic disorder. How the fuck can it be a genetic disorder when gays can't have kids!

What about Jamie Lee Curtis, heard she can't have kids because she was born with both sex organs. If she wasn't, there are plenty of cases, where people are born with extra chromosomes and can't have children, etc. Is that not a genetic disorder?

InvisibleClark
Bar RoomSuperman

#3711844 - 02/01/05 06:06 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

cb9fl said:
Evolution seems to me to rule out homosexuality as a legitimate sexual preference. If anything it would seem to be some sort of genetic error since it does not support procreation.

I guess if you look to evolutionary theory to serve as some stamp of legitimacy for your behavior, you have a point. Since it doesn't claim to serve any such function, though, I don't know why anyone would do that.

--------------------

Offlinecb9fl
Re: Non-sex genes 'link to gay trait' [Re: Clark]
    #3712129 - 02/01/05 08:46 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I feel determining homosexuality's basis to be fairly important. Homosexuals right or wrong for the most part should not be penalized by the government just as drug users should not be penalized.

However if homosexuality is found to be against evolution or an aberration then they should not be allowed to adopt children.

The only evolutionary basis for homosexuality I can think of is population control. But if that were one of it's origins then we would see higher percentages per capita of homosexuals in highly populated areas such as China. I highly doubt that correlation exists meaning homosexuality most likely does not have a valid evolutionary basis.

If someone is born with a predilection towards pedophilia is it simply accepted or is that something to overcome? If homosexuality does not have a valid evolutionary basis then I believe it is also something to be overcome.

--------------------

InvisibleClark
Bar RoomSuperman

#3717778 - 02/02/05 06:20 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

cb9fl said:
However if homosexuality is found to be against evolution or an aberration then they should not be allowed to adopt children.

There's not much evolutionary theory can offer as a reason for putting a huge investment of time and resources into the raising of a child without a close genetic relationship to yourself. Maybe adoption itself is an aberration.

Quote:

cb9fl said:
If someone is born with a predilection towards pedophilia is it simply accepted or is that something to overcome? If homosexuality does not have a valid evolutionary basis then I believe it is also something to be overcome.

IMHO, pedophilia is different not because it does or doesn't foster the propogation of the species, but because it it involves the victimization of participants who aren't old enough to give informed and reasoned consent. As fascinating as I find evolutionary theory to be, I don't look to it to tell me what is or isn't acceptable behavior.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology