Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Gypsum, HEPA Filter, Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, ( CT )
Building another lab!
    #3694758 - 01/28/05 08:07 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I decided that I needed another lab, so now I am building one. The dimentions are four feet by eight feet, K.I.S.S.

When it is complete, there will be two lexan curved windows which double as shelves internally. The dual hepa filter will be above the door, with shafts going toward the far corners of the back wall, diffusing into mass flow filters. I didn't want a hurricane, just a nice steady constant positive flow. Excess air will pass out the plastic-stripped door, similar to freezer strips or cleanroom strips.

This room will be for POST-PC work, and for incubation. Possibly also doing some fruiting in there, but less since 100% sterility isn't a major issue when fruiting. There will also be a refridgerator for storage and clone work. Microscope area for study and a switch to turn on the second filter while you occupy the room. (Only one filter runs 100% while not being occupied.)

The outside will be finished in the normal gypsum-board, while the inside will sport some nice fiber-galss walls, similar to what you see in gas-station and Mc-Donalds bathrooms. It is easy to clean, will handle harsh chemicals, and comes in nice 4 foot X 8 foot sheets for about $32.00.

I may also take time to insulate the back wall, as that is the wall to our hallway, which is not insulated. I just havn't decided if I want to rip out the old gypsum and insulate, or just insulate right over the wall with foamular. (Followed by the fiber-glass board.)

So far, this cost $65.00. That includes 12X(8' 2X4 studs), 2X(30"X36" lexan windows), Two boxes of screws (4" & 2.5").

Still need 6X(4'X8' fiber-glass sheets) $192.00, 10X(2'X8' 2" foamular) $250.00, One ultra quiet/efficient bathroom blower fan (BR-S80UE 80CFM 0.7sones 0.3amps) $163.00, 4X(Mini-hepa filter) $60.00.

Bathroom blower fan link, (Home depo sells these.) http://www.kitchensource.com/bathroom-fans/br-80u.htm

I have to work for two days... I will repost more progress after that time.

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU
I support www.shroomery.org (Team # 12679)

Edited by LaughingJim (01/28/05 08:24 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFungi_x
Original Shroomer
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Michigan Flag
Re: Building another lab! [Re: LaughingJim]
    #3694782 - 01/28/05 08:11 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Fucking Awesome! Keep us posted :thumbup:

--------------------

HAPPY FUCKING HOLIDAYS!

OfflineReprah
Baby Eater

Loc: England
Re: Building another lab! [Re: Fungi_x]
    #3694795 - 01/28/05 08:14 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Wow. Surely all that can't be just for you..

--------------------
Eat right and exercise. Don't smoke, drink or take drugs. Get hit by a bus tomorrow.

Invisiblemetasin
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Building another lab! [Re: Fungi_x]
    #3694796 - 01/28/05 08:14 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

:thumbup: :thumbup:

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Re: Building another lab! [Re: metasin]
    #3694898 - 01/28/05 08:31 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Yup, personal consumption! LOL :smile:

I also have several terrariums with many critters. 2 African black giant millipedes, 2 Fire belly newts, 2 california fire-belly efts, 2 rough skinned newts, 22 red efts, 8 fire belly toads, and 1 grey tiger salamander.

I also found a great deal on a wine cooler fridge, with a full front glass door. They were originally $350.00 but home depo is selling them for $120.00. Since I don't need 50-60F I am going to rig the thermostat so I get a constant 60-65F. Which should save me on electricity also. (It is normally preset and maintains 50F at the bottom, 55F in the middle, and 60F on top. I am going to circulate the air inside, and keep it all about 65F. This way I can store, and cold shock at a rather safe temp.)

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

#3694924 - 01/28/05 08:36 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

My land-lord is going to love the fact that I turned my 14' X 11' bedroom into a 10' X 11' bedroom.

I will tell him the new tennants can use it as a walk-in closet!

It is all reversable, the wood is all screwed into place, and where this sheet-rock touches the existing walls, there will be trim, not directly plastered to the wall.

I may also make a seporate duct, so that in the summer, I can pull cooler air from the ground, instead of the ceiling. The seporate duct will have to be manually opened/closed/removed twice a year.

--------------------

FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU

Edited by LaughingJim (01/28/05 08:38 PM)

OfflineMushroomFriend
Vargen ska fanleva!!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
    #3694929 - 01/28/05 08:36 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Cool!  Good luck Jim! :thumbup:

--------------------

Offlineazurescens
    #3694977 - 01/28/05 08:46 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

That looks more like 4x8x8 than 4x4x8. Do yo know your landlord personally? If not than I cant help but say that's it's not smart to construct such thinkgs in rented sapce but I look forward to seeing updates. Good luck.

InvisibleNOS4A2
Sh!tApple

Loc: notfarfromtheshittree Flag
Re: Building another lab! [Re: azurescens]
    #3695258 - 01/28/05 09:44 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I see I'm not the only builder here! I thought everyone here just used cheap rubbMaids and their mom's closet. Good to see another persons layout ideas. Good luck. BYW what were those '4x mini hepa filters'you said were $60. Most I see are $60 a piece. Where will they go.
Excited to see your progress.GL

--------------------
Hail to the King, Baby
CulturingTech

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
Re: Building another lab! [Re: NOS4A2]
    #3695359 - 01/28/05 10:11 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Everone needs there space

This is mine.

Peace :sun:

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever since.

:sun:

InvisibleLuvWallyWorld
Slack-jawedgawker

Loc: Midwest
    #3695362 - 01/28/05 10:11 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

You said you might do fruiting in there? Are you going to keep the whole room humidified? If so, there are so many problems with that I can't even begin to list them here. If you're seriously thinking of humidifying a positive pressure, wood framed Type-V assembly, pvt me and we need to chat.

What's the floor surface? If that's a consideration I'd go with 12" square vinyl or linoleum tile.

You have some sort of flashing or caulk to seal the joints between plexi wall panels with, correct?

As for where the wall panels meet the floor I'd go with a vinyl cove wall base http://www.burkemercer.com/flooring/wb_vinyl_cove.asp It makes cleaning SO much easier and keeps spills from getting into your wall and floor assemblies.

Some thoughts on insulation. Your room is like a refrigerator with the door open... it really isn't that effective since one side is wide open. Same thing applies with buildings. A building's skin is only as protective as it's weakest surface. All walls, windows and roofing assemblies must try and achieve the same R-value. Adding Foamular to the back side of the fridge doesn't do much good since the door is wide open anyways.

I don't even want to think about what kind of adhesive you plan on using to attach the foamular to the existing gyp board. Also, go with a generic brand of rigid foam insulation if you're going to buy any.

Also, since you have trim around the existing window pictured I assume the house is far from new, probably the electrical in your bedroom isn't even remotely designed to handle the demands of a lab.

I'm sorry, NONE of this is meant to bag on you, I just want to help make sure you're doing it right. Best of luck.

--------------------

Edited by LuvWallyWorld (01/29/05 01:22 AM)

InvisibleRoadkill
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Snoqualmie, Wa.
Trusted Cultivator
    #3695394 - 01/28/05 10:18 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Cool build!~

Your landlord is gonna love you when you move out.

His ad in the newspaper:
Room for rent with built in lab room.

lolzz

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinepshawny
Mycobian
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Shroomery
Re: Building another lab! [Re: Roadkill]
    #3696024 - 01/29/05 01:14 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Or, lab for rent w/ sleeping area  :yesnod:

--------------------

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Re: Building another lab! [Re: LuvWallyWorld]
    #3699460 - 01/29/05 08:35 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

LuvWallyWorld said:
You said you might do fruiting in there?  Are you going to keep the whole room  humidified?

No, this will not be a fruiting chamber. This will have a fruiting area inside, seporate unit.
Quote:

What's the floor surface?

Single sheet vinyl flooring. One big tile! Trimmed with cove base.
Quote:

Your room is like a refrigerator with the door open... it really isn't that effective since one side is wide open.  Same thing applies with buildings.  A building's skin is only as protective as it's weakest surface. Adding Foamular to the back side of the fridge doesn't do much good since the door is wide open anyways.

My situation is this... This is an old house. The natural room walls that this new frame is added onto, does not have insulation. There is posibly some cheap/nasty blown-in insulation on the one outter wall. If I add insulation inside, that will ensure that this moving air is not just blowing heat at the cold existing walls. I don't want to loose heat out of these walls. The air that fills this room is comming from the cieling of my already heated room. Air up there is about 70-75F, if I blew that onto a wall with no insulation that is 55F, the wall would absorb half the heat, and it would go right outside. If insulated, it will/should loose only 1%-5%, not 50%. Normally, that air would stay up in the cieling, where there is plenty of insulation.

EG, I am not trying to insulate this from my house, I am trying to insulate my house from the exterior cold. (I wasn't too clear on that above post.)
Quote:

I don't even want to think about what kind of adhesive you plan on using to attach the foamular to the existing gyp board.  Also, go with a generic brand of rigid foam insulation if you're going to buy any.

I am not aware of any generic insulation with the same R10 value with 2" of material. This would be tacked into place with trim nails, ultimately being held in place by the fiber-glass board. The fiber-glass board would be mounted with 4" screws. Similar to how they make walk-in freezers.
Quote:

Also, since you have trim around the existing window pictured I assume the house is far from new, probably the electrical in your bedroom isn't even remotely designed to handle the demands of a lab.

The lights in the lab are 2x(20 watt CF spirals), 8x(7 watt daylight CF) for the fruiting chambers, 2x(15 watt heat pads) for incubation, 2x(15 watt fans) for the hepa filters, 1x(5 watt fish-tank pump) for the fruiting area. TOTAL watts 161 watts. (I am Energy Star compliant!) That also totals up to... 12 amps.

I do not use the power hungry, "well it works!", methods seen here in these forums. I only use those methods which get the job done, with the least amount of power. EG, No TIT that uses an 80 Watt heater, with half the heat going towards heating my house with an inefficient and wastefull fish-tank heater. I use terrarium heat pads which only cost pennies a day to operate, less because I insulate well.

My whole apartment is electric heat, 6 rooms. My neighbors electric bill, with the same space, last month was about $285.00... all of thiers. They all complain because thier apartments are cold... dark... uncomfortable...

My electric bill for the past seven monts comes to a grand total of $425.00, last month was $115.00. (It was below freezing last month.) My apartment has been a constant 75F, and it feels about 80F. My incubator has been a constant 82F-83F. My lights are always on, my house is bright, and my apartment air is never below 50%RH.

And, my apartment is on the side of the house with no sunlight! :smile:

I didn't take offense, those were valid cautions, since my post was not as informed as it could have been. Thank you for your input. You will be getting five stars for that info. (I personally could not use it, but since you brought it up, others may have that info to think about!)

--------------------

FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU

Edited by LaughingJim (01/29/05 08:41 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Gypsum, HEPA Filter, Microscope

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation