Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleSmushroom
Avid Learner
Insulating a Martha in a cold room
    #3741754 - 02/06/05 05:40 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I live in a small upstairs apartment. There is limited space in the apartment. I can put a tub in tub incubator in my closet or just cover it up. However if I decide to get a Martha it would not fit in the closest and there isn't much space in my bedroom either. I do not want to put it in my living room out in the open, so the only place left that is large enough would be the attic that only I have access to.

It is very cold and not very well insulated in the attic and there isn't existing heating. I have read several different ways to heat a Martha and have a couple ideas. The question I have is: How easily and how could I insulate a Martha? The temp in the attic has been getting close (if not below) freezing the past couple of weeks. Here are the options I have thought of:

Try and cheaply insulate the attic (would still come out expensive I think)

Put a space heater in the attic (not sure if a single one would heat it)

Cover the top and sides of the Martha with blankets/quilts and just use a aquarium heater in water or waterbed heater to heat the Martha (Not sure if the insulation will be enough)

Use a space heater with a temp control inside the Martha (worried about too much heat on the plastic near the heater)

Insulate with blankets/quilts and have an external tub with water and a aquarium heater. Have it set around 80 or so and have a fan constantly pump 80 degree air into the bottom of the Martha. (Not sure if there is such a thing as "too much" air flow. Worried about contams with all that air coming in, even if semi-sterile. Worried about the updraft effecting the mist from the humidifiers.)

I can't think of any more. I listed all the problems I thought of for each idea. Not sure which would be the most economical and practical.

I am thinking I can just try to seal off all drafts in the attic, insulate the Martha with blankets, and use an internal aquarium style heater.

Any comments or ideas?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineThe Shape

Loc: Haddonfield, IL Flag
Re: Insulating a Martha in a cold room [Re: Smushroom]
    #17224287 - 11/15/12 01:18 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

This is a good question unanswered. Wouldnt it be counter active to insulate the martha itself THEN heat the surrounding space? Im thinking once the inside of the martha is up to temp it should retain heat better when insulated. Idk maybe im wrong or its just unnecessary but it might be better than leaving the martha bare in a 50F room incase the heater cuts off or theres bad draft

--------------------
You miserable, presumptuous, mediocre piece of shit. You have no talent. Your no artist. An artist respects the silence, it serves as the foundation of creativity. Your a disgrace. Your everything thats gone wrong in this world. You're self consumed, no talent, mediocre piece of shit. And i've earned my right to say it.  In 1975 i walked Bob Dylan up on stage. Who the fuck are you?
I knew The Grateful Dead in 1966. Who the fuck are you?
You're nothing... And you'll never be anything.

- Douglas Levison

InvisibleSmushroom
Avid Learner

Re: Insulating a Martha in a cold room [Re: The Shape]
    #17227816 - 11/16/12 02:30 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Way to bump a 7 year old post :P

I never actually used a Martha back in the day so I didn't actually deal with this. I think the best solution would be to insulate the Martha, preferably with fiberglass insulation but blankets would work. Put a tub of water in the bottom with an aquarium heater in it and a capful of bleach. Will keep the heat up and help with raising the humidity. The issue you will have is with the humidifiers. It would be best if you could put them inside the Martha as well, if they are outside they will be blasting cold air into the Martha everytime they turn on.

InvisibleTheEaglesGift
The Nagual

Loc: Ixtlan, Mexico
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Insulating a Martha in a cold room [Re: Smushroom]
    #17227833 - 11/16/12 02:37 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

:ohgodwhy:

Jump to top Pages: 1