Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
false chanterelle
    #3678065 -

I was just looking through a guide to wild mushrooms, and the entry for the "false chanterelle" (Hygrophoropsis aurantiaca) says, mysteriously, "Edible but known to produce hallucinations!" Since the entry makes no mention of this mushroom containing muscarine/ibotenic acid, and since it's apparently not a psilocybe either, I was curious about how this mushroom could possibly be hallucinogenic. Searching on MykoWeb and Google has brought up no info on this mushroom. So I thought I'd ask the more seasoned mushroom hunters on this site. . .Do you have any knowledge of this particular mushroom, have you ever come across/eaten it, and how could the author of this book possibly label it hallucinogenic when it doesn't seem to have a reputation for being so, and is not either a psilocybe or an Amanitas?


--------------------
Furthur!

"You must bring out what is within you, for what is within you shall save you."--Gospel of St. Thomas

Sometimes the light's all shinin' on me. . .other times I can barely see. . .

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: false chanterelle [Re: hippychickfl]
    #3678097 -

What guide is this in?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: false chanterelle [Re: hippychickfl]
    #3678261 -

It's gotta be describing some Gymnopolis..
They are orange and I guess could be mistaken for chanterelles.
But they are not super active, and not all gyms are even active at all.


--------------------
these long agonizing months without you...have been long and agonizing..
"War Doesn't Decide Who's Right... It Only Decides Who's Left."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: false chanterelle [Re: flowstone]
    #3678635 -

I'm sure you are reading an outdated guide to wild mushrooms written in the 1950's by an obscure British professor or somesuch. Sounds like the stuff I've found countless times on the library bookshelves down here. Just goes to show you can't trust everything you read in a day. Very old mushroom guides or guides that make claims such as that should be discarded in favor of more reliable guides- the mistakes are senselesselly countless sometimes.


--------------------

Guts and danger, Airborne Ranger...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: false chanterelle [Re: hippychickfl]
    #3678669 -

I have found Hygrophoropsis aurantiaca many times. It is listed in most guides as poisonous, but reports of actual poisonings aren't common. Most likely it causes stomach upsets sometimes in people who have mistaken them for chanterelles.

Flowstone has what sounds like the right idea. It's probably pretty likely that somebody was poisoned by some small bright orange mushrooms growing from wood and, without actual specimens to work from, somebody guessed that they were false chanterelles when they were actually Gymnopilus.

It's amazing sometimes how far a single odd poisoning report can propagate. There are also reports that Hygrocybe conica caused a fatality (in China quite awhile back), so you'll find some mushroom books around that say they're deadly poison.

With poisonings misidentification of the mushroom is the most common cause. If there are no specimens left over for an expert to examine then the identification is only a guess. The descriptions of the mushrooms from the people poisoned usually leave you wondering why they haven't been poisoned sooner. The quality of the guess of what was actually eaten will depend on the amount of experience of the person getting the description. Since the vast majority of people picking wild mushrooms are trying to find food, I can easily see many of the identifiers I know guessing false chanterelles and not even thinking of Gymnopilus.

Happy mushrooming!


--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: false chanterelle [Re: ToxicMan]
    #3679489 -


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: false chanterelle [Re: hippychickfl]
    #3680213 -

According to the matchmaker online database it appears that an author by the name of "Phillips" stated that there were possibly hallucinogenic effects from this mushroom.

I would lean towards the majority and not think about eating it. :wink:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: false chanterelle [Re: angryshroom]
    #3681613 -

It's on page 72 of Roger Phillips Mushrooms of North America. Thanks for pointing out the author so I could verify it.

I wonder where he got that information.

Dr Dennis Benjamin lists them as edible, and he tends to err solidly on the side of caution.

Happy mushrooming!


--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: false chanterelle [Re: ToxicMan]
    #3684504 -

I ate about a handful of these mushrooms in Germany, having read the entry in my great german language field guide. It said "angeblick" (allegedly) hallucinogenic. What can I say, I was young and reckless, and in an experimental phase. I suffered no effects at all, ill or otherwise.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Beautiful Chanterelle waixingren 4,175 12 06/29/05 08:57 PM
by Gumby
* Pleurotus maybe??? and todays Chanterelle finds -Updated 7-6
( 1 2 all )
zi1iz 4,422 22 07/07/04 05:15 PM
by ToxicMan
* PLEASE HELP ID THESE, SHROOMS, DETAILED INFO cbo 1,095 7 10/13/03 10:23 PM
by canid
* Beautiful find! S. ambigua, H. aurantiaca, L. procera Joshua 1,446 4 12/28/02 11:25 AM
by angryshroom
* Mushroom Poisoning Symptoms Mycomancer 6,180 3 02/21/05 07:44 PM
by Mitchnast
* Chanterelles GnuBobo 1,898 10 08/11/06 12:00 AM
by Phishe
* Chanterelles (Updated pictures with cinnabar chanterelle) Anonymous 3,286 12 07/18/03 02:46 PM
by Anonymous
* Poisonous? nolongerinuse 1,632 13 01/15/07 09:13 AM
by eris

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: ToxicMan, karode13, inski, Alan Rockefeller, Duggstar, TimmiT, Anglerfish, Tmethyl, Lucis, Doc9151, Land Trout
7,135 topic views. 0 members, 99 guests and 70 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.026 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.