Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblephreakyzen
My God is anAwesome God

Loc: Under the sea
Company Fires All Employees Who Smoke
    #3678596 - 01/25/05 03:46 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

source

Quote:

Company Fires All Employees Who Smoke

Michigan Firm Won't Allow Smoking, Even On Employee's Own Time

UPDATED: 1:59 PM EST January 25, 2005

LANSING, Mich. -- Four employees of a health care company have been fired for refusing to take a test to determine whether they smoke cigarettes.

Weyco Inc., a health benefits administrator based in Okemos, Mich., adopted a policy Jan. 1 that allows employees to be fired if they smoke, even if the smoking happens after business hours or at home.

Company founder Howard Weyers has said the anti-smoking rule was designed to shield the firm from high health care costs. "I don't want to pay for the results of smoking," he said.

The rule led one employee to quit before the policy was adopted. Four others were fired when they balked at the smoking test.

Chief Financial Officer Gary Climes estimated that 18 to 20 of the company's 200 employers were smokers when the policy was announced in 2003. Of those, as many as 14 quit smoking before the policy went into effect. The company offered them help to kick the habit.

"That is absolutely a victory," Climes said.

On the company's Web site, it states:

Weyco Inc. is a non-smoking company that strongly supports its employees in living healthy lifestyles.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleblacksabbathrulz
 User Gallery
Re: Company Fires All Employees Who Smoke [Re: phreakyzen]
    #3678651 - 01/25/05 03:58 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I see nothing wrong. In fact I would say its a lawful practice, since it would maximize profits due to decreased costs of healthcare.

--------------------

Invisiblephreakyzen
My God is anAwesome God

Re: Company Fires All Employees Who Smoke [Re: blacksabbathrulz]
    #3678678 - 01/25/05 04:03 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Also no Big Macs on your own time, no speeding, you must always were your seat belt oh and don't forget to brush your teeth because this dental plan costs money you know.

When do we start getting our government contolled feed bag like so much cattle?

User Gallery
    #3678691 - 01/25/05 04:05 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

phreakyzen said:
Also no Big Macs on your own time, no speeding, you must always were your seat belt oh and don't forget to brush your teeth because this dental plan costs money you know.

When do we start getting our government contolled feed bag like so much cattle?

Eating big macs does not increase the cost of health care premiumds, nor does not wearing seat belts, or teeth etc. However, health care companies are extremely interested in smokers, as it is PROVEN, that they are at highly increased health risks.

--------------------

Invisiblephreakyzen
My God is anAwesome God

#3678692 - 01/25/05 04:05 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

blacksabbathrulz said:
I see nothing wrong. In fact I would say its a lawful practice, since it would maximize profits due to decreased costs of healthcare.

To what end could we maximize profits? Strip away everything that makes you human to turn you into a lemming. As long as it helps the bottom line you see nothing wrong?

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #3678694 - 01/25/05 04:05 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

This really has nothing to do with government control, it is a private company firing employees because of their lifestyle.

As a note, what if the company fired all the fat people? Those whose ancestors have a history of cancer? Where do we draw the line?

I'm not sure about this, I wouldn't want the government to step in but companies shouldn't be able to control their employees' lifestyle outside of work either. I hope the company gets problems because of this

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Invisiblephreakyzen
My God is anAwesome God

#3678697 - 01/25/05 04:06 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Eating too many big macs and being over weight does impact health care costs.

User Gallery
    #3678701 - 01/25/05 04:07 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

phreakyzen said:
Eating too many big macs and being over weight does impact health care costs.

It does, however not the inital premiums.

--------------------

Invisiblephreakyzen
My God is anAwesome God

#3678716 - 01/25/05 04:11 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Not yet right? Once we defeat the behemoth that is smoking what is next?

Speeding and wearing seat belts also increases health cost. Why do you think they make wearing your seat belt mandatory. Speeding may hurt other people but not wearing your seat belt hurts nobody but yourself.

User Gallery
    #3678729 - 01/25/05 04:15 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

phreakyzen said:
Not yet right? Once we defeat the behemoth that is smoking what is next?

Speeding and wearing seat belts also increases health cost. Why do you think they make wearing your seat belt mandatory. Speeding may hurt other people but not wearing your seat belt hurts nobody but yourself.

Wrong, not wearing your seatbelt frequently hurts others.

--------------------

Invisiblephreakyzen
My God is anAwesome God

#3678732 - 01/25/05 04:16 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

How is that?

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

#3678735 - 01/25/05 04:18 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Smoking also hurts others, as second hand smoke contains many of the same carcinogens the original smoke has.

Not wearing seatbelts can hurt others as you will have nothing to hold you in front of the wheel, so it is possible you can slide and lose control of the car, especially in a collision where you would otherwise be held in place.

That is all. Nevertheless I believe people are too zealous about both these issues

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

User Gallery
    #3678743 - 01/25/05 04:23 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

phreakyzen said:
How is that?

Very simply, you crash your car, you don't have a seatbelt on, and you act as a giant projectile capable of inflicting mortal damage on others.

--------------------

Invisiblephreakyzen
My God is anAwesome God

Re: Company Fires All Employees Who Smoke [Re: Ravus]
    #3678747 - 01/25/05 04:26 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Ravus said:
Smoking also hurts others, as second hand smoke contains many of the same carcinogens the original smoke has.

Not wearing seatbelts can hurt others as you will have nothing to hold you in front of the wheel, so it is possible you can slide and lose control of the car, especially in a collision where you would otherwise be held in place.

Do you have sources for either of these statements? I have been looking through the NHTSA website and I do not see anything about saving anybody's life but those not wearing seat belts. Also I have never seen any studies showing second hand smoke hurts others.

User Gallery
    #3678750 - 01/25/05 04:28 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

phreakyzen said:
Quote:

Ravus said:

Do you have sources for either of these statements? I have been looking through the NHTSA website and I do not see anything about saving anybody's life but those not wearing seat belts. Also I have never seen any studies showing second hand smoke hurts others.

Second hand smoke does not hurt others. PURE JUNK SCIENCE.

--------------------

User Gallery
    #3678761 - 01/25/05 04:35 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

http://www.fumento.com/disease/smoking.html

yeah, yeah, a lot of you guys hate this guy, but his points are totally valid.

--------------------

Invisiblephreakyzen
My God is anAwesome God

#3678762 - 01/25/05 04:37 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

While looking through the NHTSA website I did find a patent for a GPS based seat belt monitoring system.

GPS seat belt monitoring system patent

Say goodbye to all your freedoms people. You cannot be trusted to run your own life.

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery
Loc: Gallifrey
    #3678839 - 01/25/05 05:06 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

There are numerous companies and organizations who require that you be in top physical shape, disallow drug use and even have rules about what you can do in the public eye (morality clause). They're called pro sports franchises. TFA's subject really only differs in (some of) the motive for those standards.

Many thousands of more employers drug screen as well, though for (expected) performance reasons and not so much the health care issue. There are many shades of gray on this subject and I don't think any one broadstroke painting of the situation will end up benefiting anyone.

--------------------
Happiness is a warm gun...

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
    #3678845 - 01/25/05 05:06 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I love it when people talk about how bad 2nd hand smoke and carcinogens and carbon monoxide it puts out when people sit in rushhour bumper to bumper traffic and inhale mass amounts of car exhaust.

Edited by The_Red_Crayon (01/25/05 05:07 PM)

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

#3678853 - 01/25/05 05:09 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Perhaps, I've found many more sources that do state second hand smoke causes damage than those that don't

"Health Canada estimates that more than 300 non-smokers die from lung cancer each year because of second-hand smoke."
http://www.cancer.ca/ccs/internet/standard/0,3182,3172_13127__langId-en,00.html

Who are you to challenge Health Canada?

Nevertheless, I would not discount the fact that secondhand smoke may not be harmful, it is possible it is propaganda, but as it stands there are countless sources that say secondhand smoke does indeed cause damage.

"Secondhand smoke is a combination of the smoke from a burning cigarette and the smoke exhaled by the smoker. Also known as environmental tobacco smoke (ETS), it can be recognized easily by its distinctive odor. ETS contaminates the air and is retained in clothing, curtains and furniture. Many people find ETS unpleasant, annoying, and irritating to the eyes and nose. More importantly, it represents a dangerous health hazard. Over 4,000 different chemicals have been identified in ETS, and at least 43 of these chemicals cause cancer.
Is Exposure to Environmental Tobacco Smoke Common?

Approximately 26% of adults in the United States currently smoke cigarettes, and 50 to 67% of children under five years of age live in homes with at least one adult smoker.
Who Is At Risk?

Although ETS is dangerous to everyone, fetuses, infants and children are at most risk. This is because ETS can damage developing organs, such as the lungs and brain.
Its Effect On...

The fetus and newborn: Maternal, fetal, and placental blood flow change when pregnant women smoke, although the long-term health effects of these changes are not known. Some studies suggest that smoking during pregnancy causes birth defects such as cleft lip or palate. Smoking mothers produce less milk, and their babies have a lower birth weight. Maternal smoking also is associated with neonatal death from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, the major cause of death in infants between one month and one year of age.

Children's lungs and respiratory tracts: Exposure to ETS decreases lung efficiency and impairs lung function in children of all ages. It increases both the frequency and severity of childhood asthma. Secondhand smoke can aggravate sinusitis, rhinitis, cystic fibrosis, and chronic respiratory problems such as cough and postnasal drip. It also increases the number of children's colds and sore throats. In children under two years of age, ETS exposure increases the likelihood of bronchitis and pneumonia. In fact, a 1992 study by the Environmental Protection Agency says ETS causes 150,000 to 300,000 lower respiratory tract infections each year in infants and children under 18 months of age. These illnesses result in as many as 15,000 hospitalizations. Children of parents who smoke half a pack a day or more are at nearly double the risk of hospitalization for a respiratory illness.

The Ears: Exposure to ETS increases both the number of ear infections a child will experience, and the duration of the illness. Inhaled smoke irritates the eustachian tube, which connects the back of the nose with the middle ear. This causes swelling and obstruction which interferes with pressure equalization in the middle ear, leading to pain, fluid and infection. Ear infections are the most common cause of children's hearing loss. When they do not respond to medical treatment, the surgical insertion of tubes into the ears is often required.

The Brain: Children of mothers who smoked during pregnancy are more likely to suffer behavioral problems such as hyperactivity than children of non-smoking mothers. Modest impairment in school performance and intellectual achievement have also been demonstrated.
Secondhand Smoke Causes Cancer

185You have just read how ETS harms the development of your child, but did you know that your risk of developing cancer from ETS is about 100 times greater than from outdoor cancer-causing pollutants? Did you know that ETS causes more than 3,000 non-smokers to die of lung cancer each year? While these facts are quite alarming for everyone, you can stop your child's exposure to secondhand smoke right now. "
http://www.entnet.org/healthinfo/tobacco/secondhand_smoke.cfm

And for the seatbelt comment, it is standard knowledge to take the permit test. I will take it right out of the DMV handbook:

"Hit from the Side. If your vehicle is hit from the side, your body will be thrown towards the side that is hit. Air bags will not help in this situation. Your lap and shoulder belts and needed to help keep you behind the wheel. Get ready to steer or brake to prevent your vehicle from hitting something else."

Also,
"In addition to protecting you from injury as a driver, safety belts help you keep control of the vehicle. If you are struck from the side or make a quick turn, the force could push you sideways. You cannot steer the vehicle if you are not behind the wheel."

That is all

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Kraken Kratom Shop: Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom