Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Brown Rice Flour, HEPA Filter, Portable Greenhouse, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineShaydin
Thinker
Giant Terrarium?
    #3672652 - 01/24/05 04:07 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone has ever tried growing shrooms in a giant terrarium like the size of a room. My buddy was going to build a couple of plastic rooms in his basement, one for growing area and the other as a clean room to work in. I was thinking, instead of having a grow room with a bunch of plastic tubs in it, why not just skip the plastic tubs and think of the grow room as one giant tub? You could humidify the whole room and have a HEPA room filter in there. The guy plans on using a whole grain method, casing the colonized grain in flat trays. The guy has it set up so you have to go through the clean room to get to the grow room, and he wants a HEPA in each room so contamination should be kept in check as long as he's not dumb. I've seen a couple pics on this site of a bunch of sweet looking trays sitting on shelves inside of apparently plastic lined room and not in tubs, so somebody must have done this before. Here's a link. What do you think it would take to make this kind of setup work? Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, ( CT )
Re: Giant Terrarium? [Re: Shaydin]
    #3672843 - 01/24/05 05:05 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Hepa-filter + Water + Spores = No flow...

However, you can hook it up so that the hepa is outside the room, blowing some clean air inside. Which would then be humidified by the humidifier.

I say you should invest in a large "Portable Green-house" designed for orchids. They run for about $200 - $500 and are cheaper than any room you think you could build. (Trust me!) They are like giant "Marthas", with anti-bacterial walls, and thick plastic, ready for harsh chemicals (Alcohol, hard water, chlorene, chloramine, etc...), Buy two, and use one as your positive pressure clean room.

Orchids like to grow in 90%-100% RH, with TONS of CO2... (I am working on having both in the same house!)

Here is a link...
http://www.farmwholesale.com/

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU
I support www.shroomery.org (Team # 12679)

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, ( CT )
Re: Giant Terrarium? [Re: LaughingJim]
    #3672896 - 01/24/05 05:13 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

That looks like magadash's setup.

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU
I support www.shroomery.org (Team # 12679)

OfflineShroomtakular
Feline

Loc: At the edge of the World
    #3672940 - 01/24/05 05:20 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

A big 3 room tent sounds good for less money

--------------------
I have many many questions...

Offlinefungis_eata
strangerrrr
Loc: neverland
Re: Giant Terrarium? [Re: Shroomtakular]
    #3673538 - 01/24/05 07:48 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I'm about to start 6 casings and 12 cakes in a 2 man tent.
One Huge tub for the cakes and a simple rack with a pancho over it for the casings. 50/50 Verm./BRF, Fanned, 2 fish tank pumps.
It's pretty cheap...well, free..
I call it the Hobo Bulk Grow Tek.
A slight variation of the PF Tek really.

--------------------
As I held the dark syringe close to my ear I heard a small voice, "If you build it, they will grow." With a quick jab at each jar, I injected two cc's in each. Soon enough, I was chomping on the sexiest handfull of nipples I had ever seen. A tear ran down my face. I could feel their warm touch soothing my soul. It was so beautiful that all I knew to do was cry out with laughter. All the love I had shown them was returned with the most concentrated and potent form of love known to man.
great sex

Offlinefungis_eata
strangerrrr
Loc: neverland
Re: Giant Terrarium? [Re: fungis_eata]
    #3673546 - 01/24/05 07:49 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

O Yea!!!

"I was wondering if anyone has ever tried growing shrooms in a giant terrarium like the size of a room?"

Not yet.

--------------------
As I held the dark syringe close to my ear I heard a small voice, "If you build it, they will grow." With a quick jab at each jar, I injected two cc's in each. Soon enough, I was chomping on the sexiest handfull of nipples I had ever seen. A tear ran down my face. I could feel their warm touch soothing my soul. It was so beautiful that all I knew to do was cry out with laughter. All the love I had shown them was returned with the most concentrated and potent form of love known to man.
great sex

OfflineShaydin
Thinker
Re: Giant Terrarium? [Re: fungis_eata]
    #3673730 - 01/24/05 08:34 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for the input. Okay, if the guy built the plastic room so the HEPA room filter was sucking air from outside of the room and blowing clean air into the room, would that provide enough gas exchange? Maybe he would have to have a filterd vent or something to help let some air out. Ideas? Assuming gas exchange wouldn't be a problem, what kind of humidification do you think would work best? Something simple like a few cool mist humidifiers? Any ideas? And somebody's obviously already tried and succeeded in growing shrooms in a giant terrarium, they took a picture, so this is possible. My buddy is going to start this project soon and will let me post some pics. If you have any suggestions on anything please post them. He would like suggestions on anything construction related or suggestions about which substrate or method would work the best in the "giant terrarium" setup. Thanks.

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#3673784 - 01/24/05 08:47 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

You could somehow have them misted every so many hours to keep them damp, but a constant humidity is always best.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Giant Terrarium? [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3675684 - 01/25/05 01:47 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Do not use your HEPA for air exchange..use the cool mists for that...and either ultrasonic or foggers for extra humidity. Leave the HEPA just sitting right outside the chamber on all the time. If you used it for air exchange it would drop humidity.

A Tent wouldnt hold in humidity so well I'd bet..they're meant for people to be able to breathe easily and freely. Mini greenhouses or mini plastic closets for those who dont have closets (like the Martha Stewert) work wonderfully. You can also cover a plastic shelve of your own..

Or build something and covver it with plastic...just dont use any wood in your constructions. A single cool mist and ultrasonic will run a fairly big chamber so dont start off with more then that. You'll need to set everything up yourself because no one can tell how much you'll need to get your basement or whereever the chamber is up to the right humidity..only trial and error will tell you that. You'll need a timer for the ultrasonic most likly as well.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Brown Rice Flour, HEPA Filter, Portable Greenhouse, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation