Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinedmc_

Loc: Portland, OR
Flea epidemic, fate of the furrballs........help
    #3578131 - 01/04/05 02:20 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I have two companions (brother and sister) that have been in my life for...9 years now. I have raised them from kittens and gave them their purpose in life. A chance to be a mother for the female, a nice litter she had etc....

We are having flea problems for the first time. The fleas eat me alive at night when I lay in bed. I've tried the couch, same problem. This has been going on for a month, I have spent the last week sleeping on the floor to get away from the problem.

The temps dip below freezing at night, and linger just above freezing during the light hours. Too cold for them, even with their thick winter coat. Right now, I have them in a 8x8 room with their litter box, food and water. It is breaking my heart, I cant stand seeing them in there. I let them out during the day but lock them up for 10 hours at night.

I myself have spent my fair share of time in the county jail, I sympathize so much for them. I hate the position I have put myself in, to lock up another animal to a small cell.

I have tried frontline, advantage, flea bombed the house 3 times, used powder all in the last month. If the problem continues.....I'm afraid I might have to say goodbye to my dear friends. Whether that be a short ride into the forest with my shotty, or a trip to the humane society.

sigh..... I'm a pretty "hard" individual, but these two furrballs have never done me wrong, never turned their head to me, never raised their voice to me. I have a bond with them unlike any human in my life.

This really sucks....

Edited by dmc_ (01/04/05 02:22 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRobotic_touch
Female
Re: Flea epidemic, fate of the furrballs........help [Re: dmc_]
    #3578165 - 01/04/05 02:41 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Did you go to the vet? Maybe they have an alternative med that you can try for them. Thats weird cuz they should die in freezing temps.... hmmm

--------------------

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Loc: PNW
Re: Flea epidemic, fate of the furrballs........help [Re: Robotic_touch]
    #3578200 - 01/04/05 03:06 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

You can get pet drops called advantage that will kill all fleas in 48 hours and further interrupts the life cycle. It also will get in their hair and dander, so anywhere their hair gets spread (i.e. everywhere), the fleas get killed.

There is another one at the pets office that I can't remember, but avoid the cheap imitation walmart drops. If you ain't paying 45 dollars for em from a vet, they aren't the ones that work.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

Offlinenonoman
ambassador
Male User Gallery

Loc: the wood
Re: Flea epidemic, fate of the furrballs........help [Re: tomk]
    #3578251 - 01/04/05 03:44 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Go to the veterinarian.

--------------------

OfflinePhychotron
Crazy Mofo
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In A Forest Of Colossal F...
Re: Flea epidemic, fate of the furrballs........help [Re: nonoman]
    #3578796 - 01/04/05 09:10 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

first off, you dont need to put the cats down if thier's a problem, just give them to someone else, tell them your moving...

i got the advantage from austrailia... make sure your giving them the right dose.. i found 2 cats in the dumpster, and my house was COMPLETLY covered in fleas, 1 room in the house, when you walked in barefoot, you would have 10-20 fleas in about 30 seconds on the legs... it was seriously that bad. i had to re-advantage them after 2 weeks, and for the whole house, i used the hartz powder, left that on for 2-3 hours, then vaccumed it up, that got the bulk of them, then i used BOROX on the carpet, and left that on (not swept in) for about a day, then vaccumed it up... make sure to throw the vaccume bags away, or they can get back out...

i dont know why advantage didnt work for you, did you do it directly on the skin on the back of the neck?

--------------------
On a mission to prove that the truth gets you no where.
They tried the truth, It didn't work. Then they wrote the bible. 

Only the foolish fear the inevitable.

Invisiblevinsue
Grand Old Fart
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Garden State(NJ) Flag
Re: Flea epidemic, fate of the furrballs........help [Re: Phychotron]
    #3578804 - 01/04/05 09:14 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

i dont know why advantage didnt work for you

Me neither  :confused:.. worked for mine, but ya gotta spend the money for the real stuff

--------------------

"All mushrooms are edible; but some only once." Croatian proverb. BTW ...
  Have You Rated Ythans Mom Yet ?? ... :taser:  ... HERE'S HOW ... (be nice) .  :mod: ... :peace:

Offlinedmc_

Loc: Portland, OR
Re: Flea epidemic, fate of the furrballs........help [Re: Phychotron]
    #3580064 - 01/04/05 03:19 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Phychotron said:
first off, you dont need to put the cats down if thier's a problem, just give them to someone else, tell them your moving...

i got the advantage from austrailia... make sure your giving them the right dose.. i found 2 cats in the dumpster, and my house was COMPLETLY covered in fleas, 1 room in the house, when you walked in barefoot, you would have 10-20 fleas in about 30 seconds on the legs... it was seriously that bad. i had to re-advantage them after 2 weeks, and for the whole house, i used the hartz powder, left that on for 2-3 hours, then vaccumed it up, that got the bulk of them, then i used BOROX on the carpet, and left that on (not swept in) for about a day, then vaccumed it up... make sure to throw the vaccume bags away, or they can get back out...

i dont know why advantage didnt work for you, did you do it directly on the skin on the back of the neck?

Thanks for the advice. They are very thick fur coated cats, it was a little difficult. I will try it again.

OfflinePhychotron
Crazy Mofo
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In A Forest Of Colossal F...
    #3580205 - 01/04/05 03:45 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

i would also suggest washing all your bedding and clothes really well....

are you sure the cats are still infested? check them, and make sure thier are still fleas actualy on them. for awhile, untill i used that hartz powder and borox on the carpet, the fleas were attacking me and my girlfriend... i figured that since the cats didnt keep the fleas alive, that they would just die off, nope, they keep living, and they can stay dormant with no food (i think for a few months)...

oh, and the hartz imitation advantage (the tubes from the super market) dont work, dont waste your money... but the hartz powder is pretty good, but make sure you have a good dust mask on when vaccumeing it up, and lots of ventalation, dont enter a room when it has the powder on the carpet... the way i did it was sprinkled it on, and then swept it in after it sat on the top a bit, like an hour... now that i remember... after you get the bulk of them, you shouldnt see any for awhile...

--------------------
On a mission to prove that the truth gets you no where.
They tried the truth, It didn't work. Then they wrote the bible. 

Only the foolish fear the inevitable.

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #3580276 - 01/04/05 03:59 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I had very good results a few months ago by:

1) Spraying my carpet with Raid flea killer (expensive, but worth it, IMHO)

2)Vacuuming afterwards when it was dry and regularly vacuuming at least 4-5 times a week, and,

3) Giving my cat a bath using Hartz flea shampoo. But this was, to say the least, no easy task, I warn you....

Offlinenonoman
ambassador
Male User Gallery

Loc: the wood
    #3580410 - 01/04/05 04:39 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

dmc_ said:
I'm afraid I might have to say goodbye to my dear friends. Whether that be a short ride into the forest with my shotty, or a trip to the humane society.

sigh..... I'm a pretty "hard" individual, but these two furrballs have never done me wrong, never turned their head to me, never raised their voice to me. I have a bond with them unlike any human in my life.

--------------------

OfflinePsycAura
think, and bewicked
 User Gallery

Loc: an alternate universe som...
Re: Flea epidemic, fate of the furrballs........help [Re: nonoman]
    #3580672 - 01/04/05 05:39 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

i had a bad problem w/ fleas and had to use advantage on my kitty 2 or 3 times in about as many weeks to finally get rid of them all

--------------------
It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain. - Captain Murphy

Offlinedanksistah
Stranger
Female

Loc: right here
Re: Flea epidemic, fate of the furrballs........help [Re: PsycAura]
    #3580733 - 01/04/05 05:51 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

watch out with hartz stuff. it makes so many cats sick and many many many die. there are a few websites out there about it. it happened to one of my friend's kitties.
diatomaceous earth is great for getting rid of fleas but you have to leave it down for a bit. but it is a good thing to put on the carpets. we have a stupid neighbor who doesn't take care of her animals and since we are in the same building our apt became infested. we bombed twice and i swear they thought it was an aphrodisiac because there was exponential growth in the population each time. we couldn't even stay here or come inside for several days. unfortunately we had to call an exterminator and that brought it down but never completely got rid of them. of course our problem was an extreme case. we sprinkled the diatomaceous earth in the stairwell and area between the apts and that helped greatly. those flea bombs really don't work.
i know they have these pills called capstar for dogs maybe cats too ask your vet. they kill all the fleas that are on them within just a few minutes. you could always take your animal to the vet to get them flea dipped. good luck!

--------------------
:whip:  :whip:    :whip:    :whip:    :whip:

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #3580822 - 01/04/05 06:03 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

The shit you buy in department stores doesn't work. The collars, sprays, shampoos, etc... is actually very unhealthy for your cat and on top of that they DO NOT work at all.

Go to your vet and get these little tubes of liquid. The tubes contain about 7 or 8 drops of liquid. Every month you put those drops on your cat's skin. These little tubes are expensive...I pay 12$ a tube. So, I am spending an additional $12 a month on my little furry guy. The brand I use is called "Revolution". I have also heard of Advantage.

These drops take care of fleas, ear mites, heart worms, ticks...etc.. The stuff is awesome.

Just put that stuff on your cat, maybe bomb your house, and vaccuum your carpets and you will never see a flea again. I have not seen a flea in six months and my cat always is in and out of the house.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates