Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Brown Rice Flour, Peat, Ranch Dressing, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineshroommachine
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: Florida
Straw spawn with BRF?????
    #3574038 - 01/03/05 03:40 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I can't seem to find any info on this. Is it possible to spawn straw following shroomgods tek wit BRF instead of grain or wbs???

If so, what are the drawbacks, is there greater risk of contamination?(please say no)

Thanks all

--------------------
And I said, I don't care if they lay me off either, because I told, I told Bill that if they move my desk one more time, then, then I'm, I'm quitting, I'm going to quit. And, and I told Don too, because they've moved my desk ...four times already this year and I used to be over by the window and I could see the squirrels, and they were merry, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and its not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedmc_
 Arcade Champion: Madness

Loc: Portland, OR
Re: Straw spawn with BRF????? [Re: shroommachine]
    #3574045 - 01/03/05 03:45 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Absolutely.

Wheat Straw itself doesn't contain too much nutrition, unfortunately neither does BRF/verm cakes. Since you are going bulk, make it worth your while and mix that straw with some poo. 1part poo to 3 parts straw works nicely in my experience.

Glad to see you moving up from PF-Tek.  :thumbup:

If you need any help don't be afraid to send me a PM.

Edited by dmc_ (01/03/05 03:45 AM)

Offlineshroommachine
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Straw spawn with BRF????? [Re: dmc_]
    #3574068 - 01/03/05 03:58 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Cool Cool. It's actually a friend of mine im helping grow, also as for a chamber, what is an ideal height? I was going to use about 10" of substrate, i figure 2 feet high is good.

We're gonna set up 2 bulk chambers w/ cool mist humidifier. As for air exchange, should the hole in the chamber be stuffed with a filter of some kind? I was figuring just some tyvec maybe.

As for manure, horse, cow, whats best, what should i be looking for?

Damn I love the shroomery, 10 mins for a reply.

Thanks again

--------------------
And I said, I don't care if they lay me off either, because I told, I told Bill that if they move my desk one more time, then, then I'm, I'm quitting, I'm going to quit. And, and I told Don too, because they've moved my desk ...four times already this year and I used to be over by the window and I could see the squirrels, and they were merry, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and its not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire.

Offlinedmc_

#3574081 - 01/03/05 04:08 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

10" substrate is overkill. Haha, thats a good sign though! Go with about 6-8" for optimal results. Just make sure your friend has about 14 inches of clearance just incase they grow some monsters off that bulk.

Horse manure is most widely recommended for cost and effectiveness. Cow and chicken manure works great also. If at all possible look for fresh manure, if not, make sure to soak it for a day to rehydrate it. Make sure your friend has permission before sneaking onto someone's ranch. Some of dem old farmers get alittle excited when they see someone scooping manure into a 5 gallon bucket around their livestock. (from experience)

A couple holes just above the casing layer stuffed with polyfil is recommended, for ease of application and cleaning. Make sure your friend does themself a favor by using an additional means of providing fresh air.

Edited by dmc_ (01/03/05 04:10 AM)

Offlineshroommachine
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #3574100 - 01/03/05 04:19 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I was planning on buying manure, straw, humidifier, hose, container, and such from Wal Mart. I had been under the impression that pasteurizing would hydrate the poo plenty. I'm only asking because my friends house is kinda far away and i only manage trips out there every 2 weeks or so.

As for a lid, I was planning on getting a dark container so as to prevent shrooms growing and rotting on the side of the bin, should i get some plexiglass, or is that not necessary?

Also, shroom gods tek dosen't mention a casing layer. Should i use 50/50 verm/peat moss, or just go without.

As always, thanks a bunch

p.s.

how long you been growing?

--------------------

Edited by shroommachine (01/03/05 04:25 AM)

Offlinedmc_

#3574106 - 01/03/05 04:23 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

In extreme cases a presoak might be a reasonable option. But yes, pasteurization will rehydrate pleanty.

I use plastic food wrap and just cover with a dark towel. I keep my light on to help heat the closet and to save money on heating costs.

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #3574475 - 01/03/05 10:06 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

dmc_ said: chicken manure works great also.

You might want to rethink "chicken manure". It does not work "great". It's way to hot.

Ideal nutrient composition for mushroom substrate is: carbon / nitrogen ratio <17:1, nitrogen 2.6%, phosphorus 0.2-05%, potassium 1.5-2.5%, calcium 1.5-2.5%, available boron <2 ppm, available ammonium <10 ppm, soluble salts 3.0-5 OdS/m.

Nitrogen level of chicken manure is about  :eek:22 :eek:.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Brown Rice Flour, Peat, Ranch Dressing, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation