Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineauto59009
enthusiast
Loc: Australia
detailed printing tek...
    #353917 - 07/12/01 09:00 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

ok i am not trying to claim credit for some amazing new printing tek, i have simply typed up a method in detail that works well for me and the 2 others i have consulted in regards to foil printing. a new grower requested a printing tek on this board a while ago so that is why i typed it. hope it can help out some other newbies who are wary of the process!

Multiple Spore Printing Tek

Introduction:

This is an improvised version of a popular spore printing idea that already exists. The concept is to allow a mushroom cap to drop its spores on a sterile medium, producing a viable "spore print". The cap must be covered to protect contamination by airborne mould spores and to keep the humidity high so that the mushroom will drop its spores. There are many sterile mediums available but I would recommend aluminium foil above all of them. Paper does not typically allow spores to adhere properly, making it unsuitable for mailing. Also, it is harder to seal without leaving it prone to contamination. The bonus in using this method is the ability to produce multiple sterile/viable spore prints.

Equipment:

Baking Tray (no/slightly raised edges if possible)
  Pyrex Baking Dish (upside down it must fit entirely within the tray)
  Hand Towel/Paper Towel
  Aluminium Foil
  An oven
  Duct/Masking Tape
  Dust Mask
  Latex Gloves
  Alcohol Aerosol Spray (glen20 is quite a common brand)
  Sharp Blade (cheap retractable pen knives are available at most supermarkets)
  Little Baggies

Method:

1. The spore printing "setup" needs to be constructed. This is really quite simple. Take the tray, lay down enough towelling to cover the whole tray, turn the pyrex baking dish upside down and place it in the centre.

2. Now the actual printing squares have to be cut out. You want each individual square of foil to be slightly wider than the cap you want to print from, and twice as long as it is wide. Cut out as many rectangles as will fit in the setup, or as will be printed. Lift the pyrex baking dish and neatly place the foil squares underneath. (I prefold them in half, then unfold them before I put them down. This will make more sense later on.) 

3. Place the entire setup in the oven at 150C for 30-60 minutes. All materials used (with the exception of the towelling) are good conductors of heat so 150C is plenty hot enough to sterilise the setup. 30 minutes is fairly short, yet I have had no problems with contamination using this time period. Be sure not too sterilise with too high a temperature for too long or the towelling may ignite :smile:

4. Remove the setup from the oven and while (relatively) hot create a "handle" from the tape. I find this necessary because unlike small, single print covers a curved edge pyrex baking dish is quite awkward to lift with minimal contact. Cut a measure of tape, fold it in half, but not completely! Only fold it to about halfway down the length so that you end up with a sort of "T" shaped piece of tape. The top of this "T" should be adhesive whilst the sides are not. Stick one sticky side on the top of the pyrex baking dish, and the other on the side of the pyrex baking dish. If you can not understand this handle concept (I know it is not very clear!) then feel free to improvise your own. The reason this is done while hot is to ensure a more permanent contact between the tape and the dish. If it is done later the tape often becomes unstuck after being sprayed with aerosol alcohol.

5. So now you have a nice sterile setup! Well, except for the tape of course! So leave it somewhere relatively clean to cool. Room temperature is what you are aiming for here. You will find that the pyrex baking dish will take quite a while to emit all heat and return to room temperature (approximately 2 hours).

6. Now take your setup and place it somewhere partially enclosed to minimise chances of contamination by airborne particles. Bring your terrarium closeby if possible, this is where a nice portable terrarium comes in handy. (If one is not available you might consider making a mini-terrarium for transporting casing/cake to allow printing, or alternatively, place your casing/cake in a clean plastic container. Thoroughly spray down the surrounding area with aerosol alcohol. Don your dust mask and gloves. Spray the gloves for extra sterility. Wipe down the sharp blade with an alcohol wipe (make your own by spraying a tissue) and hold it in the enclosed area while the alcohol evaporates. Give the immediate area another liberal spraying (can't hurt to be overcautious :smile:

7. Now you have a relatively sterile area. Aseptic is quite a difficult goal for the avid home cultivar, so relatively sterile will have to do (in my experience it works fine most of the time anyway). Remove the lid from the terrarium, select the choicest specimens (any that developed larger, faster, or generally more roust than the others are desirable). The veil should have released itself, leaving it drooping around the stem. The cap should be hemispherical, approaching a slight flatness. While this will result in a somewhat smaller print than an upturned cap it means that only the rim of the cap actually touches the printing medium, thereby lowering chances of contamination.

8. Now the cap must be cut from the mushrooms. Using the ethanol sterilised blade make a cut at rought the same stem height as the edge of the cap. It is best to cut as close to the gills as possible, but it is also best not to touch the gills with anything at all if possible. I figure edge of cap height is a good compromise. Some people sterilise the cap by wiping the top down with a hydrogen peroxide soaked cotton wool ball, then the same with ethanol. Some people even *LIGHTLY* wipe the gills. I have never found any of these necessary and I advise that they are not attempted unless contamination has become an issue.

9. Slowly lift the dish using the tape "handle". Slow is the key here because a quick lift will result in a large influx of air, raising chances of contamination. Once lifted to a minimum height (enough to allow a gloved hand to fit in) place the cap in the centre of one side of the foil rectangle. Once the process is completed for all caps the setup must sit for 12-48 hours undisturbed. The longer you leave it the heavier the print. This is, of course, just a rule of thumb and mileage will vary between individuals. Each individual microscopic spore takes between 30-60 seconds to drop, so do the calculations and you can work out the time needed for a nice visibly thick print :smile:

10. After waiting 12-48 hours, spray down the entire area with aerosol alcohol again, put on the dust mask and gloves, and spray the gloves again. Have your baggies nearby and open the first one. Slowly lift the dish, remove the cap carefully and quickly fold the foil over. Now fold each side over slightly, and finally, fold the end. Place the print in the ziplock baggy and you have just created a spore print. Repeat the process with each cap and you will have a nice batch of prints. Some people suggest removing the caps with a sterilised pin, but again I have never found this necessary. Plus, the outside of the print has to be touched to be folded anyway. By lifting the cap carefully your hands should not come into contact with the printing surface.

11. If you regularly make batches of prints like this for the purpose of distribution (be it sale, trade, competition etc.) a randomly selected print should be made into a syringe as a sort of "quality testing procedure". Label your prints with small adhesive labels that include species, race, printing time, print date, and source. This will be appreciated by all who receive your prints. Good luck and happy printing!

I am a compulsive liar :wink:
http://go.to/FreeSporeRing
http://www.lilshopofspores.com
http://www.shaman-australis.com/shroom

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleralphster44
collector
 User Gallery

Re: detailed printing tek... [Re: auto59009]
    #354094 - 07/13/01 08:37 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Post deleted by administrator.

--------------------
www.RalphstersSpores.com

WE SHIP TO CANADA FROM WITHIN CANADA :smile:

For your safety and security, we have a Secure Website.
Also for your security, we will not take your credit card number.
Your security and safety is of utmost importance to us.

Offlineauto59009
enthusiast
Re: detailed printing tek... [Re: ralphster44]
    #354153 - 07/13/01 10:18 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

hey thanks ralph! your reply validates my otherwise empty life :wink: jk... i appreciate the thanks tho! wasn't sure if this would be useful... thought maybe i could newbies producing GOOD prints instead of the many shitty ones that circulate... i apologise for the excessive detail but this way everyone can follow the process very precisely... if you have feedback or suggestions please reply to this thread! thanks ralph! i will send you some prints when they are done! what races you looking for at the moment?

later...

--------------------

Invisibledimitri211
Carpal Tunnel
    #354157 - 07/13/01 10:20 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Auto do you mind if we add it to our new site??

www.thehawkseye.com
Sacred Mushroom Spores
----------------------------------------------
Donations to the shroomery
www.paypal.com (Account thor@shroomery.org)

Offlineauto59009
enthusiast
Re: detailed printing tek... [Re: dimitri211]
    #354368 - 07/13/01 07:17 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

nah dimitri! that is fine with me... might want to proofread it or something tho, coz i didn't think to do that! anything to get people printing on foil! :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleBrownPastures
old hand

Loc: here
    #354475 - 07/13/01 11:49 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Yes, foil is Jim-Dandy.

"A Wise One like me should not charge for her services....The one who charges is a liar. The wise one is born to cure, not to do business with her knowledge."-Maria Sabina

OfflinePlowKing
enthusiast
Loc: 345Rotting Street, Hell
    #354476 - 07/13/01 11:52 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Is it necessary to go to these means for making a print? I just simply cut the cap off with scissors.. and layed the cap down on wax paper, covered with a washed glass and set it in my closet.. this is the method ive heard from meany people and it worked fine..

Avid Acrid Jam Shred

--------------------
Avid Acrid Jam Shred

Offlineauto59009
enthusiast
Re: detailed printing tek... [Re: PlowKing]
    #354480 - 07/14/01 12:05 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

hey man whatever works for you... but I won't be trading for your fucked up prints! haha jk man jk :smile:

all i know is i have always used this method (pretty much from the beginning) and i always have totally clean viable prints that are heavy as shit... they are almost vendor quality except for the size (i don't use whole grain). whatever works for you, but this will give you some awesome prints :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleBrownPastures
old hand

Loc: here
Re: detailed printing tek... [Re: PlowKing]
    #354482 - 07/14/01 12:06 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

What auto is trying to do here is to enform the "masses" who may still be jittery about the whole process. Aluminum foil is the BEST thing i have found so far. I know wax paper has worked for you, but my monkeys have found that under their "storage conditions" something they call "book worms"(i don't know the scientific name for these sorry) eat away at the wax paper and INFECT the spore print to the point that it would be hard to get a VIABLE syringe, but on agar is adifferent story for another thread. peace

"A Wise One like me should not charge for her services....The one who charges is a liar. The wise one is born to cure, not to do business with her knowledge."-Maria Sabina

Offlineauto59009
enthusiast
Re: detailed printing tek... [Re: BrownPastures]
    #354549 - 07/14/01 04:34 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

BP is right again. One of the main points of this tek is the use of foil... Why do you think most vendors send prints on foil (or glass...) all inorganics are perfect for storage. Sorry for the excessive detail but I consider this the major difference to other spore printing teks, everything is in excessive detail here!

Please everyone, consider FOIL! :smile: haha BP is spot on!

Edited by auto59009 on 07/19/01 08:14 PM.

--------------------

Offlinepatzee
enthusiast

#357964 - 07/20/01 06:27 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

THANK YOU!
This newbie just made her first spore syringe, but the print was in this nearly impossible
plastic, sealed like a drum. It was a sweat act.
I just wrote Ralphster about a "protocol" ..tek whatever so there
would be a STANDARD. I am so glad I saw this post. Now I implore you to take step by step pics,
especially the folding of the print. I mentioned to ralphster ..a tab that says..'OPEN HERE"
I salute you!!

My most worthy advisor
www.thehawkseye.com

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom