Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Autoclave, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Dehydrator, Oyster Shell, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleTHEDANGLER
The Mushroom Tip
 User Gallery

Indoor compost
    #3544147 - 12/26/04 02:37 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

its winter here so outdoor is out of the ? so what if i took a garbage bag put in some poo and some straw also what about adding my contaminated seed and agar, i figured id put the bag inside of a cooler and put it in a corner. Would this stuff compost good. after a few months

--------------------
TONS OF SPORES TO TRADE PM ME!!!!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleTHEDANGLER
The Mushroom Tip
 User Gallery

Re: Indoor compost [Re: THEDANGLER]
    #3544417 - 12/26/04 04:35 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

has any one ever done compost inside, can some one link me to a tek, what do you guys think of just dumping it all into a bag, mix up ever once and a while, will this work?

--------------------

InvisibleTHEDANGLER
The Mushroom Tip
 User Gallery

#3553746 - 12/28/04 07:29 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Bump

NO One Can Help Me?

--------------------

OfflineFrappy
Strange

Loc: South Florida
    #3553786 - 12/28/04 07:36 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I don't see why it wouldn't work, except I wouldn't want to add anything contaminated to it, bumper. :smile:

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #3554260 - 12/28/04 09:44 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

IF YOU HAVE A PC, this is an easy blend of quasi/compost SYNTHETIC BULK SUBSTRATE.

Finely chopped ground aged /leached horse manure & presoaked finely chopped wheat straw, fortified with a small percentage of home ground BRF & some pre/soaked PC?ed WBS, as a delayed nutrient - source, with a little verm added -to increase its moisture retention capacity.

No exacting magic formula.
For instance, a 5 or 10 gallon size tote tub w/lid. Fill halfway with aged chopped (as fine as you can get it) horse manure. About a 20% portion of pre/soaked finely chopped wheat straw (the finer, the better). A couple pounds of home ground BRF. 3 or 4 quarts of pre/soaked PC?ed millet based WBS (PC?ed will not germinate). About a gallon size volume of vermiculite. Just toss it all in & mix well.

When you want to use it, take out however much you intend to use & add spring water until at field capacity (meaning - when you squeeze it - just a few drops of moisture - drip from it). Then PC the prepared mix (@ 15 psi 60 - 70 minutes) in a autoclave, turkey or tinfoil baking bag.

Allow to cool to room temp & spawn ASAP (sooner the better) @ about 15 to 20 % rate with colonized WBS.

Saran wrap top of container, poke some (10 or 15) pinholes in Saran wrap (for gas exchange), then cover container top with aluminum foil applied crumpled & loose over top & bent over edges a few inches (to keep it in darkness - but still allow some gas exchange).

That is a simple inexpensive bulk blend, that requires no science, or brain surgery to make. If you can find the ingredients (which isn?t tough, if you are tenacious & look for them). Think Feed & seed store for wheat straw & horse stables for horse poo.

Incubated & 80/85F & high rh, so it will not dehydrate. Once fully colonized, case with pasteurized or PC?ed 50/50 Verm - Coir mix , with sprinkle of finely crushed oyster shell (chicken grit - think feed store) to balance & maintain ph of casing mix.

--------------------

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, ( CT )
Re: Indoor compost [Re: agar]
    #3555829 - 12/29/04 05:19 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I would drop the Poo from your list of tings to decorate the interior of your house with! Even if it is covered, and your nose gets use to the odor, your house will stink forever.

(Home bacteria will find the food-enriched moisture that eminates form the container, a welcome friend. You will end up with all sorts of stuff growing inside your walls, and fibers in your couch, towels, clothes, tables... Similar to what happens in every-ones bathroom.)

Chances are that if it loves Poo, then it loves WoodPellets with CompostSlurry. WoodPellets being the growing medium and nutrient source, and CompostSlurry being the greater nutrient source. It will still smell, but harbor less bacteria and will smell less. Plus, it makes great garden compost afterwards!

The pellets can be found at most hardware stores now.
Go here... http://www.mycomasters.com/index.html
Look through the various pages for the best pellet types...
(Slideshow) section I think. You don't have to do the peroxide thing, just do it the normal TEK way that you intended to do the poo.

As for the Slurry, I don't have a link to that site at the moment.

Search google for "Mushroom" & "Growing" & "Slurry"
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=mushroom+growing+slurry

I would imagine that soaked and blendered, 1/3 BRF, 1/3 WBS, and 1/3 Straw would suffice. (Brown Rice Flour, Wild Bird Seed, Hay Straw)

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU
I support www.shroomery.org (Team # 12679)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Indoor compost [Re: LaughingJim]
    #3557098 - 12/29/04 01:35 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Wood is poor on nutes for cubies, I wouldnt try and fruit cubies from any mix containing wood. It works as spawn though, myc will colonize it

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleTHEDANGLER
The Mushroom Tip
 User Gallery

Re: Indoor compost [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3557213 - 12/29/04 02:15 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

it is inside of a garbage bag so i don't think much bacteria will be getting out, and that is sealed in a cooler,

so what is it that turns poo, wbs, and what ever else into great compost, is it the bacteria and molds? Seems like after awhile the heat will increase so much that every thing will die or go dormant.

--------------------

InvisibleTHEDANGLER
The Mushroom Tip
 User Gallery

#3564742 - 12/31/04 11:48 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

so what really make the poo compost is their a certain mold or bacteria? Or is it a mix of nasties

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Autoclave, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Dehydrator, Oyster Shell, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation