Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon Hemp, Terrence McKenna

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineAaronEvil
The GuitarVillain
Male

Loc: California
Re: Supreme Court to weigh medical marijuana laws [Re: Fucknuckle]
    #3426154 - 11/30/04 02:26 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

My grandmother is a former cancer patient. She had breast and lung cancer. They put her in kimo therapy and basically told her she might not live. They suggested that she illegally find marijuana to help deal with the pain caused by her treatment. She is living in Missouri and luckily the doctors were wrong and she overcame the cancer, but there is a point where you have to look at the problem and say "If professional doctors are advising people to use an illegal substance to help them, maybe it shouldnt be illegal." If someone you know is sick wouldnt you rather them have a medicine with minimal side effects? I would want my grandma to risk getting the munchies over a risk of heart failure or stroke.
I think pot should be legal 100% or at least left up to the states to decide, but the idea of having a plant outlawed is insane to begin with. That is like saying Redwood trees are illegal because licking the bark relaxes you. You cant cut down every redwood tree. Its natural to earth and this continent. Just like how mushrooms are illegal eventhough they grow in nature.Its crazy what the government restricts. I was taking this medication after I got my wisdom teeth out and the side effects were far more serious than those of pot. Basically, it would be an easier, and safer, drug to help people deal with certain pain and ailments.

--------------------

There is not a lot of difference between a fox hole and a grave; but knowing that you dug your ditch and climbed in anyway.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
Re: Supreme Court to weigh medical marijuana laws [Re: AaronEvil]
    #3426195 - 11/30/04 02:36 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

The more I think about it the more silly Medical Marijuana is. Considering the FDA has already approved prescription THC medicines such as Marinol, that won't give you lung cancer the push to legalize it for medical use seems a little silly. The real issue should be legalizing it all together!

I think Medical Marijuana critics may be right in saying that most people that support it just want to legalize. We might as well be up front about it, so we can have a seriously public discussion marijuana and our government's policy.

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

OfflineLothar121
Marijuanaactivist
Loc: Texas
Re: Supreme Court to weigh medical marijuana laws [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #3426543 - 11/30/04 04:09 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

For the people that are confident that the states will win, quit being so confident.

This case is going to be as close as you can get.

Conservatives are split because conservatives fall under two categories- social conservatives and privacy conservatives/states rights. Three of the judges were extremely skeptical. The arguments put forth by Cato in briefs and other areas are the only hope.

These judges have to think very carefully. A judgement could be made but it will have to be very narrow, if not the commerce clause could simply be applied to destroy Federal drug prohibition all together. The justices know this, and that's why you will see such a close ruling because this case puts principles vs principles, and it's going to be the court grappling with itself over how far the commerce clause implicates states' rights.

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: Supreme Court to weigh medical marijuana laws [Re: Gijith]
    #3426588 - 11/30/04 04:36 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Gijith said:
I really can't see the court ruling in favor of the states on this one. But, hopefully, I'm wrong.

I don't know. They recently refused to hear a case involving gay marriage for just that reason. As conservative as it is, the current SCOTUS has been pretty consistant on ruling in favor of state's right. So there's still lots of hope for them to rule in favor of this...

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Supreme Court to weigh medical marijuana laws [Re: Fucknuckle]
    #3426617 - 11/30/04 04:58 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

You seem to have been misinformed as to hemp's efficacy as a fuel source. There are many other species of plants that perform as well or better than hemp in this arena. Corn, soy, tallow tree, and several species of algae are all just as viable as hemp for biomass energy.

Marijuana should be legal because there is no reason for it to be illegal.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Supreme Court to weigh medical marijuana laws [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #3426794 - 11/30/04 07:01 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

> many other species of plants that perform as well or better than hemp in this arena.

Yes, but few of them grow as well as hemp without having to add nutrients to the ground, rotate fields every few years, etc.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Supreme Court to weigh medical marijuana laws [Re: ]
    #3427778 - 11/30/04 02:56 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Crop rotation is no big deal. Soy is a legume, so it adds nitrogen. Corn isn't too bad about draining nutrients. Tallow tree is a tree, and so that isn't even an issue there. Algae is grown hydroponically , so soil isn't even applicable in that case, but it does consume some amount of nutrients, some of which can be recycled.

Hemp's strongest advantage is it's ability to grow in some places that corn or soy won't. In fertile feilds where any of the three could be planted, it comes in dead last in the oil production department, which is where biodiesel would come from, but it also produces a large amount of useable fiber, which can be pyrolysed into methanol. For energy production, oil is preferred over cellulse, fermentable carbohydrates, or protein.

Biomass energy would probably work better with hemp than it would without it, but it's hardly the species that's going to make or break biomass. They have hemp in Europe, has it caused any technological revolutions over there yet?

OfflineMcKennaFan200
AmateurGairologist

Re: Supreme Court to weigh medical marijuana laws [Re: ]
    #3427825 - 11/30/04 03:09 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

THIS IS THE TIME TO STAND UP PEOPLE!  McKenna said it best when he said "Keep your head up high and say "I'm stoned, if you have a problem with that, then you have a problem buddy" :smile:.  But this opposition to medicinal marijuana cannot be passed.  It's the breaking point.  It's like having an arm wrestling match.  We're almost pinned.

--------------------

"It seemed to me culture is a shabby lie. Or at least this culture is a shabby lie. If you work like a dog, you get 260 channels of bad television and a German automobile. What kind of perfection is that?"-McKenna

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
Re: Supreme Court to weigh medical marijuana laws [Re: Le_Canard]
    #3427859 - 11/30/04 03:18 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

ToiletDuk said:
I don't know. They recently refused to hear a case involving gay marriage for just that reason. As conservative as it is, the current SCOTUS has been pretty consistant on ruling in favor of state's right. So there's still lots of hope for them to rule in favor of this...

Yeah, but this is a very different situation, involving trade and lots of money. The attorneys arguing for medical pot are having to argue that it should be legal, so long as it's never sold between states. This is a very difficul thing to argue and, as far as I know, nobody has every effectively done it at the SCOTUS. I think there's a bit of precedent againt it. Additionally, I know at least two justices (Scalia was one, I forget the other) have already stated they have major 'reservations' about any legalization of pot.

--------------------
what's with neocons and the word 'ilk'?

OfflineFlameBait9000
Stranger
Re: Supreme Court to weigh medical marijuana laws [Re: AaronEvil]
    #3428237 - 11/30/04 04:55 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I support the Legalized use of marijuana for medical and entertainment purposes.

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
    #3430142 - 11/30/04 11:41 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Divided_Sky said:
The more I think about it the more silly Medical Marijuana is. Considering the FDA has already approved prescription THC medicines such as Marinol, that won't give you lung cancer the push to legalize it for medical use seems a little silly. The real issue should be legalizing it all together!

The problem with Marinol is that it must be swallowed. For someone who is too nauseous to eat or drink, a pill is ineffective. I've never taken Marinol, but if its anything like pot brownies, then it would also take quite a while to kick in. The person dry heaving from chemo therapy could never hold it down long enough for it to relieve his nausea.

InvisibleGabbaDj
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
Re: Supreme Court to weigh medical marijuana laws [Re: shroomydan]
    #3432417 - 12/01/04 01:22 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

shroomydan said:
Quote:

Divided_Sky said:

The problem with Marinol is that it must be swallowed. For someone who is too nauseous to eat or drink, a pill is ineffective. I've never taken Marinol, but if its anything like pot brownies, then it would also take quite a while to kick in. The person dry heaving from chemo therapy could never hold it down long enough for it to relieve his nausea.

Marijuana is non carsonigenic and dont cause cancer.

Marinol is too strong for most people.. People can easily regulate how much medicine they toke with a joint..

As for the hemp thing.. Baby Hitler said it all..

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG          C8.com                    http://www.beatsopjefiets.com/   

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: Supreme Court to weigh medical marijuana laws [Re: Gijith]
    #3432444 - 12/01/04 01:29 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Could be. Hopefully, they'll rule as they traditionally have in favor of the state's laws versus federal law. But time will tell...
I'm watching this one closely, as I'm sure most everyone here is as well...

OfflineLothar121
Marijuanaactivist
Loc: Texas
    #3512397 - 12/17/04 07:13 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Divided_Sky said:

I think Medical Marijuana critics may be right in saying that most people that support it just want to legalize. We might as well be up front about it, so we can have a seriously public discussion marijuana and our government's policy.

I was disturbed that you referred to marinol as an effective substitute to Marijuana as a medication. I will describe below substantial evidence to the contrary and the reasoning for supporting the medical use of Marijuana in its full herbal form.

Marijuana contains over 400 different chemical compounds in it. At least 66 are unique to the plant, and have earned the name "cannabinoids." Some of the major cannabinoids found in Marijuana are D-8-THC, D-9-THC, cannabinol, and cannabidol. I'll concentrate on the latter.Cannabidiol has been found to help people with dystonia disorder, Huntington's Disease, epilepsy, sleeping, Tourette Syndrome, Dyskinetic syndrome, stroke, and psychotic activity. Cannabidiol has also been found blocking of effects of THC, which included increased pulse rate, disturbed time tasks, and psychological reactions. It also decreased the anxiety from THC. Cannabidiol is apparently not psychoactive. Again, Marinol does not contain cannabidiol. Smoked Marijuana can provide relief from ailments almost immediately. Marinol can take from 30 to 90 minutes (or even longer, this can vary from person to person). For some individuals who are suffering from nausea, the act of swallowing a pill can induce vomiting. So smoking (or vaporization) might be the only way they can use the drug.

Another issue is metabolization. When someone swallows Marinol, the THC gets metabolized into 11-OH-THC, which is more psychoactive than THC. Keep in mind there is no cannabidiol in Marinol, so side effects from THC such as anxiety can be more extreme in Marinol than Marijuana.

Patients and doctors admit that Marijuana in its herbal form is a better treatment option than Marinol in many instances. It has been found that taking out all the other components of cannabis and only using one component isn?t nearly as effective as all of them together. Saying that Marijuana is not an effective medicine while marinol is would be the same as saying vitamin C is healthy but oranges are not.

However crazy it seems, marijuana is the best treatment option availiable for many patients.

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon Hemp, Terrence McKenna

General Interest >> Political Discussion