Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSilven
Male

Loc: El Mexicano
Composting - Idea?
    #3463995 - 12/08/04 10:32 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

So, after reading agar's post about mycelium and what not I decided to read into composting a little bit. Sounds interesting, and I plan on taking up some composting in spring when our temperatures rise again here.

Anyway, I dug up this little bit of information:

Quote:

COMPOST AS TEA: Compost tea is made by combining equal parts of compost and water and letting it sit for a while. The liquid can help to provide a 'quick boost' to ailing houseplants or young seedlings and transplants (I recommend diluting it quite a bit for use on seedlings). Stu Campbell, in Let it Rot, says that the same compost can be used to make several batches of tea (2). When you're finished making compost tea, use the mucky dregs as a mulch in the garden or landscape.

Do you think making compost tea and dunking your substrate in it, rather than just a straight spring water dunk, could possibly be beneficial?

Is this a worthy experiment, all you "more experienced than me" growers?

--------------------
What do you bring to the table?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

Re: Composting - Idea? [Re: Silven]
    #3464832 - 12/08/04 01:34 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Contam city! Dunking is for rehydrating the nutrient block that is already fully colonized. you could try it, but I don't see much sucess occuring. Try it with a jar/casing/bag and let us know.

--------------------

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
    #3464842 - 12/08/04 01:36 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

You could use the compost tea in the beginning when you mix up your pf substrate, but not as a dunk.

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
    #3464862 - 12/08/04 01:42 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

interesting...i'm think that maybe a compost pile could be used as a bulk substrate...or does bulk only work with veggie animal poo? i would be interested in hearing if a compost pile could create a bulk substrate that would colonize well after pasturization.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
Re: Composting - Idea? [Re: TODAY]
    #3465043 - 12/08/04 02:22 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Listen to experts like agar, compost is the best! But imho also hardest specially if you dont have a garden or something to make it. BUT it can be bought..

There is ONE tek about it here, as far as I know.........

--------------------

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
Re: Composting - Idea? [Re: MushroomFriend]
    #3465206 - 12/08/04 02:55 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

cool, why do i need to talk to an agar pro? also, i can make it cause i do have a garden.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

#3465486 - 12/08/04 03:46 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

LOL
the name of teh user is AGAR, here @ the shroomery! :lol:

I think there is a lot of info on composting on the web as well, I am definatley starting with that also sooner or later.

Look at this posting, nice pics. Watch Silven he is OUT after agars comment there... (Lol sorry Silven very forgivable but fun to notice)

I dont know he gave more links to compost sites with ingredients and all.

Will look it up.

--------------------

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

#3465515 - 12/08/04 03:52 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

links I found (here @ the shroomerys actually) :
http://www.angelfire.com/co/mycosociety/cult3.html
http://mushroomspawn.cas.psu.edu/Preparation.htm (I believe a N-% of 2,5 is recommended)

But again I would advice you ask agar, anno or other pro's here at the shroomerys.

Good luck :thumbup:, I will be following your questions, and the answers ofcourse! :laugh:

--------------------

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
    #3465533 - 12/08/04 03:57 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

You do not need a garden to make a compost pile. I rake all the leaves in my yard, and i cut my grass and rake that all up into a pile. Then i add a ton of cow shit (literally), and 2bales of wheat straw. I till that up so it is well mixed. I water it every 2 days really good. And keep it covered with a tarp. It makes a really rich brown compost. the warmth is from the billions of fungus and molds and stuff. it takes 2 months for it to be 100% done. But of course because it is mostly cow poop and straw, you can use it to grow at any stage. If you cram your hand deep into the pile, you will notice it is very warm in there. That is because a properly working compost pile has a metabolism (sort of) there are so many micro organisms in a compost pile that they put off an amazing amount of heat 100+ degrees :shocked:. You can test to see if your compost is growing good by turning it over and examining it for fungus it is white mycel allot like cube mycel, it is called fire fang, fire fang helps keep the contams out when you spawn it, and also helps the cubes grow.  :thumbup:

--------------------

Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Re: Composting - Idea? [Re: Psychoslut]
    #3465628 - 12/08/04 04:12 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

one does not *need* a garden but my wife definately doesnt want a pile of compost inside the house.
And me neither so a garden is a big pro imho.. :P

Advantage: indoors is oen can compost all year through, in the climate here composting is not real possible in the winter, outdoors that is....

But Today HAS a garden I doubt he is taking the horse poo and the rest of the shit to compost inside the house. :lol:

Anyway interesting to read bout compost I hope agar or compost expert will show up soon with a compost tek for simple minds or sumtin.. :wink:

PS: psycho I notice you prefer the shit outdoors as well :grin:

--------------------

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
    #3465690 - 12/08/04 04:22 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

You do not have a piece of land 10'x10' that you can put a compost pile, that is unfortinate. You could make very good compost indoors. What you need is a large styrofoam cooler, and some top soil. Put the top soil and worm food in a cooler, and buy 2 dozen worms at the bait shop. In a month you will have awesome worm castings.

To keep the worms well fed, sprinkle a tablespoon of BRF in the container. Earthworms need cold temps to live too. like 50 degrees.

Here is a short list of what you need to get started with a worm farm:

- Worm Bin
- Bedding
- Worms
- Worm Food

How To Get It All Together:

1. Start with a worm bin:
It doesn't have to be expensive or fancy. Here are a few ideas:

Kelly Slocum's Easy To Make Worm Bin

2 Person Wooden Bin For The Handyperson

Cheap Easy Harvest Bin

Foam Box Worm Farm

If you'd prefer a commercially made worm farm, I would recommend Worm Swag, or The Can'O'Worms

2. Add 'Bedding material' to the bin:
You can use old wet leaves, damp shredded newspapers, chopped cardboard, rabbit manure, aged horse or cow manure, chopped straw (soaked for a while), coir or coarse sawdust.

Chopped straw is great for helping aeration of the worm bin.

* All bedding materials should be moist ... soaked then drained till just a few drops can be squeezed out.

* Put a piece of cardboard (or a few sheets of newspaper) cut to the size of the bottom of the bin in before you put the bedding material into the bin to help to stop fine castings falling through if you have two levels. You can also use a hessian (burlap) sack that is doubled over.

2. Add Worms by spreading gently over the surface of the 'bedding material'
You'll need one to two pounds (500g - 1kg) of worms for each pound of scraps that you produce each day.

3. Food scraps can then be placed in the bedding material, and covered with a 2 - 3" layer of damp shredded paper. This will deter insects in the bin, and provide carbon to help the nirogeneous waste (scraps) break down.

Only use about a cup of scraps to start with, then when that is nearly all gone add some more. Once the worms are used to the bin, you will soon be able to judge how much they are processing. Keep just ahead of them - when the worms move into the last lot of scraps, add some more.

* Don't overfeed the bin, as this can cause problems with smells and unwanted pests.

How To Harvest The Castings:

After a couple of months you will notice that you have a lot of black soil like material in the bin. This is the time to harvest your castings to use in your garden.
i copied this from a google site.

--------------------

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

#3465724 - 12/08/04 04:26 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

grrr lol i dont have a piece of land inside my house but I have a garden! :laugh:

worm castings I used that for my northern lights and skunk before, and its available at very affordable price.

I am considering my first bulk substrate to be wormcasting and wheat straw. But in spring I might start compost a bit, and horsepoo is for free so I think will start with that as ingredient in compost.

Ok thinkwe are hijacking Silvens compost tea thread too much now?

I read about it and I think compost tea is great additive to the soil, but how exactly to use it in cube cultivation I dont know....

--------------------

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
    #3465746 - 12/08/04 04:30 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

errrrrr who said anything about composting inside the house?

You really should make you a worm farm, it not only gives you good castings, but it is fun to see tiny baby worm in there when the eggs hatch. And also they make fun pets, it sounds stupid but you will learn to like the slimey bastards after caring for them a month or so.

--------------------

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

#3465804 - 12/08/04 04:37 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

LOl! you said something like: "you dont need a garden to make own compost"

Maybe no garden but at least I need an "outside" to compost. And I am happy to have an "outside"..;) (a garden :lol: )

Worms as pets? :lol: Thats a bit psycho imho! :wink:

A psycho im a n00b and firs tstart with some different things, am now soaking wbs for a casing. When I have glovebox Ill go with g2g etc.

But I am preparing for compost reading and sucking info, how knows I buy a horse?:P Or I get me in jail for some days in Oklahoma. The law there says when one is released that person gets a horse! :lol:

Who knows maybe I skip other bulk and start with compost in a few months.... Wanna beat those fat equadorians of agar... :lol:

--------------------

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
    #3465832 - 12/08/04 04:40 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

i ment you dont need a garden as in, you do not need vegitables and all that shit.

--------------------

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
    #3465849 - 12/08/04 04:42 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

i ment you dont need a garden as in, you do not need vegitables and all that shit. All you need is straw, poop, and any grass and leaves you can get your hands on.

And i fish allot and i grow mushrooms, so there is nothing Psycho about me having worms.  :wink:

--------------------

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

#3465853 - 12/08/04 04:42 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

owww keeey doooo keey! :P

i ment it as a place to have the pile of compost :wink:

--------------------

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
    #3465997 - 12/08/04 05:01 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

#3466045 - 12/08/04 05:06 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

LOl I used to use them as bait to catch perch with! :P
But I dont torture fish anymore, neither worms.

edit: agar is in the house now, I bet/hope he will reply and give some extra information bout compost for simple minds or sumtin.. ;P

--------------------

Edited by MushroomFriend (12/08/04 05:09 PM)

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
    #3466093 - 12/08/04 05:13 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

There is a composting tek here at the shroomery that will tell you all he can tell you, and save him allot of typing. It is in advanced methods or whatever.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag