Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleLetto
Load Universeinto Cannon. Aimat Brain. Fire.
Motivation
    #3374755 - 11/17/04 05:03 PM (12 years, 24 days ago)

I have absolutely no motivation to do anything anymore. I used to be a good student, got my work done on time or early, didn't have trouble going to class, etc. But this semester I use any excuse to skip class, I'm probably going to fail one because of attendence, and I skip homework for any reason too, just as long as I can pass. I have a 5 page paper due Friday morning, and I need to start on it, but I can't. It's worth 15% of my final grade and I can skip it and still pass, but what the fuck? I shouldn't even be considering skipping something like that. It's basically my final term paper, and nobody skips that except the retarded stoner, and I'm not that.

I've tried Adderall a couple of times this semester and that helped when my motivation was low and I really needed to get shit done, but I know I can't rely on some pill just to get my stuff done. I'm a sophomore in college, so it's still early for me to switch majors, but I don't want to do anything. I used to be absolutely sure I wanted to be a nuclear engineer, now I don't want to. The only profession I could picture myself in is music, and I don't even want to do that. Who wants to grow up to be a band teacher in high school? I just want to lay down on a nice warm bed for the rest of my life. To me, that sounds like I'm depressed, but I don't really have any of the symptoms for depression and I really don't feel depressed. More like apathetic towards everything.

I think I'm rambling because I took some Adderall, hoping it would cure my lack of motivation, but it didn't. My motivation has gone up and down in the past, but it's never been this low. I seriously think I could fuck up my future because of how shitty I've gotten.

Can someone give me some advice?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRamlaen
Pysconaut
 User Gallery

Re: Motivation [Re: Letto]
    #3374934 - 11/17/04 05:37 PM (12 years, 24 days ago)

Believe it or not i find myself in the same place quite often. Once i push past that first assingment it actually motivates me to do the rest of the crap i have to do.

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
    #3374993 - 11/17/04 05:48 PM (12 years, 24 days ago)

procastrination is a bitch :frown:

I found out that the most difficult part is to start doing it what you need to do, after you started it isn't so bad after all*. But even after knowing it I often still procastrinate :thumbdown:
It's just hard to start but you can do it! I'm getting better at it

*it's like doing the dishes; it all stacks up untill there are no plates left and when you finally do it it only takes like 15 minutes :tongue:

InvisibleMobiusStripper
FamKitten

Re: Motivation [Re: stefan]
    #3375001 - 11/17/04 05:49 PM (12 years, 24 days ago)

Yea, I am a huge procrastinator :/

--------------------

InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
    #3375049 - 11/17/04 05:58 PM (12 years, 24 days ago)

I just read what has happened to me over the last few weeks. I have been going to school for 4yrs. now and up until last semester, i had a 3.8, leading in my class, Phi Theta Kappa, like that. Last semester I began taking speed daily to try to keep my a$$ moving, in turn i felt like i was getting worse by dealing with being like "strung out". This semester, I have almost quit twice, but I say in my head, a couple more weeks, you can hang in there.
I go to school, my heads not there, and more importantly, my heart is not there. I've just been slothing my way through, not good. Every time I have to do something that has to do with school, I have to fight with myself to get moving.
Anyway, I'm just identifying here. I don't have an answer except the obvious: Suck it up, dude. That doesn't seem to help either.
I've always been real energetic, one job is not enough to keep me occupied.
Since we are expieriencing the same feelings, I was thinking about finding things that match in our behavioral patterns, maybe we can find out more, cuz i sure would like to know WTF my problem is.
peace...
Edit: I have seen alot of these posts lately, 'course we're commin to the end of the semester. But I guess I want to find other similarities besides pot, cuz it's not that, is it????

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

Edited by LouiseLouise (11/17/04 07:20 PM)

OfflineRamlaen
Pysconaut
 User Gallery

Re: Motivation [Re: LouiseLouise]
    #3377908 - 11/18/04 07:50 AM (12 years, 23 days ago)

Yea pot will definatly kill motivation for sure.  Although I never smoke and have no motivationt o finish out this semester and i have like 6 more ahead of me :frown:

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Motivation [Re: Ramlaen]
    #3377989 - 11/18/04 08:17 AM (12 years, 23 days ago)

I really don't think the academic world is right for most people. It's surely not right for me. I am just not scatterbrained enough for the way college is run these days. Such a variety of subjects, in so many places, and then when the day is done, I have to go somewhere else to do more work on other subjects! Bio, Acct, Calc, and German on my hard days. Talk about all over the board, language and mathematics do not mix well. After two different subjects my brain is fried for the rest of the day. It sucks. I swear I could do this shit better if classes were organized different.

If class were 8-12AM once a week I would love that shit. I had a Winter semester class like that and I aced it. I stayed until 3-4PM sometimes doing work with the instructor. Four classes a week would be 16 credit hours and you'd get three days without class to do school work or play hooky.

If you just think about how much college costs and your immediate benefit you just will not see the value of it. It's an investment in your future, but sometimes I think I do not need to invest in college but instead myself to make the same self-improvements. Think about it.

OfflineGillette
Jaded
 User Gallery

Re: Motivation [Re: YidakiMan]
    #3378397 - 11/18/04 10:29 AM (12 years, 23 days ago)

I'm in the same boat, I can't do anything. I have absolutly no desire to do anything at all. The semester ends in two weeks. I have two major essays due, and 2 exams to write...which I have not done any of the readings for. I manage to make it to about 3 classes a week, I've probably attended about 7 of my eastren philosophy class this year. I just don't want to do it. I also only go to school 2 days a week and I work the other 5. I work to pay off my tuition, for classes that I do't go to, to get a degree that will be absolutly useless to me, because I can't get into my program. I can't get into the program, probably because I'm not pulling off the marks.

--------------------
~Earth is the Insane Asylum of the Universe~

A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: Motivation [Re: Gillette]
    #3378729 - 11/18/04 11:43 AM (12 years, 23 days ago)

I did some homework today, I feel proud. actually i don't.. I should have done more. pff so many things at a time clinical(abnormal) psychology, statistics and interview techniques. Especially the first one is very interesting and I enjoy readuiing it and I'm not even behind on schedual(yay!) :laugh:
but the obligatory assignments are so stupid. For a big essay we have to interview a person etc (we're going to intervieuw a schizifrenic person wich is very interesting) but that also takes a lot of time.
Statistics just isn't so interesting but it needs to be done, fortunately we can do a lot of things with SPSS (computerprogram like Excel but more advanced).
The intervieuwing thing isn't so bad but takes a lot of time.

It's jut very buisy right noww here and when you don't do something you have provided yourself with a massive stack of work that needs to be done in a little time. Time to get myself a cup of disipline :tongue:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being