Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineStonedShroom
OG shroomerite
 User Gallery

please explain...
    #3367741 - 11/16/04 08:50 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

a time you resolved a technical issue, but do not use any technical terms. :grin:

any technical issue, any time. I am interested to know some of your answers.

--------------------
We are not human beings going through a temporary spiritual experience.

We are spiritual beings going through a temporary human experience.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: please explain... [Re: StonedShroom]
    #3367983 - 11/16/04 10:39 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

haha! i've worked internal corporate helpdesk where i literally sounded like i was talking to a 2 year old. stuff like " the big grey box... ok, see how the top bar across the big grey box turns blue if you click in it with your mouse, yes that button that's on the furthest left side of the mouse, yes? it's blue now? hey, what are you typing? i hear you typing furiously. stop typing. good, now back to the big grey box..."

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #3368138 - 11/16/04 11:31 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

> a time you resolved a technical issue, but do not use any technical terms.

Donno that this resolved a technical issue, but I use it to explain to people in non-technical terms how misleading 'bandwidth' is...

Imagine that the wire that your computer uses to talk with other computers is a road between your home and work. Just like a connection can have a lot of bandwidth, a road can have a lot of lanes. When you have a lot of lanes, a lot of cars can drive on the road at the same time. You would think this means that the road is a good fast way to travel, but this isn't always the case. What they don't tell you about is data latency. In terms of a road, this is a speed limit. Imagine a ten lane highway, but with a 5mph speed limit. You can get a lot of cars going at once, but it still takes forever to get anywhere. This would be the same as a high bandwidth, high latency (big delay), connection such as what you would find using a satelite.

You could also have a low bandwidth, latency (small delay) connection, such as a dialup. The road would be single lane, but have a 56mph speed limit. The best of both worlds is a high bandwidth, low latency connection, such as a T1. This would be like having a 5 lane road with a 100mph speedlimit. Lots of cars get where they need to go very quickly.

... etc ...

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: please explain... [Re: Seuss]
    #3368279 - 11/16/04 12:20 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

hehe. i cannot even fathom how many times i've used base analogies to give my audience a conceptual definition of the terms to be used. helpdesk is the only time i can think of where the very use of a technical term was barred. some people have this block that permanently falls into place when they even hear a term they qualify as technical. from that point on you will not be able to effectively communicate with this person because you made the mistake of using a technical term regardless of any attempts to clarify it's meaning.

case in point, seuss's post. seuss does a great job of describing the term bandwidth. for the technophobe asking "why is my computer so slow?" seuss would have failed to communicate when he even mentioned the term bandwidth or god forbid latency.

q: why is my computer so slow?
a: what are you trying to do that the computer seems to be slow at?
q: well, when i click on the internet (a link) it takes forever for the internet to load. i think my microsoft is broken.
q: well, how are you connected to the internet?
a: i just told you, through my microsoft!

i swear i have had that exact conversation. do you think that person could handle concepts like bandwidth and latency no matter how much i describe them? No!!

i'm typing all this because i imagined that person reading seuss's posts and having a brain hemmorhage.

to StonedShroom: I understand your lack of technical prowess or desire to have it (remember when you started hooking all your speakers to your stereo?). i'm interested in this topic because i'm always open to input from the "other side" to help me help you.

from what i can tell, the large majority of people don't want to know why something doesn't work or even how to fix it. they want you to wave a wand and it be fixed. and they want to pay you as little as possible for knowing how to wave the wand and blame it on you when something completely unrelated doesn't work.

OfflineGeezer
experimental

Loc: UK
Re: please explain... [Re: debianlinux]
    #3369228 - 11/16/04 04:24 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Trying to explain how you minimize outlook to the systray to a colleague.

I started rambling on about a registry tweak whilst his facial expression was similar to that of someone who'd had smoke blown in their face.

I ended up saying...to make the big mail box go down to bottom right press this. Then grabbed his mouse and located the file & ran it....jobs a good un..hehe

--------------------

OfflineStonedShroom
OG shroomerite
 User Gallery

Re: please explain... [Re: debianlinux]
    #3370353 - 11/16/04 08:05 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

to StonedShroom: I understand your lack of technical prowess or desire to have it (remember when you started hooking all your speakers to your stereo?). i'm interested in this topic because i'm always open to input from the "other side" to help me help you.

I just had an interview and this was one of the questions. My answer was how I used to explain defragmentation

Imagine all the programs that run your computer as a deck of cards. Now when the computer is running slow that means the deck of cards have been strewn out like '52 card pick up' so it's taking longer for the computer to find what program it needs. when you run the defrag it puts all the 'cards' back in a neat stack, in order, so now when the computer looks for a 'card' it's the right place in the stack.

edit: oh and to the people whining about the helpdesk... I work helpdesk for tech support/billing for a cell phone company. our help desk is only for reps, not customers, but my god. I wonder how some of these people even got through the testing to be a tech support agent. You know that commercial where that baby is hitting the mouse with a toy hammer and fixes the computer? I think some of these idiots banged their head on the mouse and somehow clicked the right answers for the online tests we have to pass to be able to take calls.

example:

me: helpdesk
idiot: uhm, how do I turn on a Nokia?
me: ...... power button
idiot: oh.... ok thanks

:tongue:

--------------------
We are not human beings going through a temporary spiritual experience.

We are spiritual beings going through a temporary human experience.

Edited by StonedShroom (11/16/04 08:56 PM)

OfflineMikeOLogical
Doctor ofShroomology
 User Gallery

Loc: florida
    #3399619 - 11/23/04 07:20 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

"once my thigamajig was completely busted, so i opened it up and replaced the doohickey with the nipple on it, and then it worked fine"

--------------------
We got Nothing!
we're no longer selling jars.  :laugh:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology