Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMycoJunkie
Psilanthropist

Loc: .4merica
Idea: Substrate = 7 grain cereal question
    #3327155 - 11/06/04 09:24 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I just bought some '7 in the morning' 7 grain cereal from Whole Foods. It has brown rice, rye, wheat, barley, and some other grains, crushed up into small chunks. I was just curious if anyone would suggest I use vermiculite in the cake mix.
What do ya think?

Thanks

--------------------
:cussing::whip:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLegoulash
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Idea: Substrate = 7 grain cereal question [Re: MycoJunkie]
    #3327157 - 11/06/04 09:26 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

U said theyre in cunks?? IS sugar holding them together?? And if your doing this regardless yes use vermiculite.

OfflineMycoJunkie
Psilanthropist

Re: Idea: Substrate = 7 grain cereal question [Re: Legoulash]
    #3327161 - 11/06/04 09:27 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Nope, there's no sugar in it. Would sugar mess anything up? It's also organic, 'cause its from Whole Foods.
I'm gonna add Flax seed, and Quinoa into the mix.
K, thx Rah. I'll have to get some verm soon.

OfflineMycoJunkie
Psilanthropist

#3328088 - 11/06/04 03:54 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Bump.

--------------------

Offlinethenewuser
LSA Guy :-)

#3328260 - 11/06/04 04:59 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I'm not sure, but your post made me hungry.

--------------------
Please read my DXM & LSA Guides, here.

If your like MMORPG's, then click here and here!

Offline4hodmt
AspiringMycologist

Re: Idea: Substrate = 7 grain cereal question [Re: thenewuser]
    #3328273 - 11/06/04 05:04 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

whole foods is the shit. get their' turkey sandwich. i get my BRF there, it's top notch.

id throw sum vermiculite in.

u may wanna show us a pic. of what that stuff looks like. cuz ppl use whole grains, and i doubt u hav cereal made of dried out whole grains.

--------------------
all posts made by 4hodmt are entirely ficticious. the user 4hodmt has noa ffiliation with any company, or organization; any endorsements made by 4hodmt are to be considered a joke. any similarity between a person (or story) 4hodmt is talking about is entirely happenstance. 4hodmt is not to be taken seriously under any circumstance. furthermore, he does not know what he is talking about. Please ignore anything 4hodmt has to say.

_______

"Trust me, I'm from the future.

Actually I'm not from the future, but I did lived there for a while."

- Baby Hitler

OfflineMycoJunkie
Psilanthropist

Re: Idea: Substrate = 7 grain cereal question [Re: 4hodmt]
    #3328532 - 11/06/04 07:13 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Heres a pic of ingredients

and the stuff itself

--------------------

OfflineRRhoads
chemistry student
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: cahleeforneeah
    #3328547 - 11/06/04 07:22 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

that's cereal? it looks like ground cardboard...

--------------------

Offlinephantasm
DXM GURU
Re: Idea: Substrate = 7 grain cereal question [Re: RRhoads]
    #3328703 - 11/06/04 08:22 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

i wouldn't use it

yeast is a living organism that can indeed interact esspecially at the temperatures we are looking for thats why it is usually kept cold if possible when you add water it will begin interacting with it and yeah that won't be good but it was a great idea nad if you wanna give it a try pcing might kill all of it

-mike

also im not sure about using anything with perservatives even if they are natural

--------------------
Only God Grows Amanita Muscaria

OfflineLegoulash
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Idea: Substrate = 7 grain cereal question [Re: phantasm]
    #3328732 - 11/06/04 08:34 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

If anything yeast will be good.. Try 2 or 3 jars.. I wouldnt go big with it at first?? Whats this stuff cost??

Offlinephantasm
DXM GURU
    #3328735 - 11/06/04 08:35 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

why would you say yeast will be good it raises temps while its growing

-mike

--------------------
Only God Grows Amanita Muscaria

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
Re: Idea: Substrate = 7 grain cereal question [Re: phantasm]
    #3329110 - 11/06/04 11:06 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

That stuff looks really weird. I bet it would work, but some of those additives may be undesirable, and the way it has been processed into those little nuggets.

I had the same idea, only using 10-grain cereal. It doesen't look anything like that, though.. it isn't processed at all, besides being coarsly ground.

I made a pint cake just to see how it would work, and the mycelium really seemed to love it. It was very distinctly rhizomorphic all throughout the cake, it looked much different than a BRF cake.

It contains corn, rye, wheat, triticale, oats, barley, soy beans, brown rice, millet and flax seed.

I just made up some new jars yesterday, testing out some different cereal:verm ratios, and also a quart jar.. to see if it was shake-able. The first jar I made was a tad on the dry side.

That's what it looked like after comming out of the PC. That picture is misleading, because that is right after comming out of the PC. It looks very wet, but a few hours after that, almost all the visable moisture was gone, I guess it was redistributed throughout the substrate after sitting.

Here's a pic just before I birthed, dunked and cased yesterday.

It took 3 weeks to colonize, but I only injected a few drops of spore solution into 3 sites, since I was running low.

The yeast in your cereal will be killed by the PC, so that isn't something to worry about.

As for cost, I'm betting that it is very expensive, since it is a box-style cereal. The 10-grain I used was organic bulk, about 89cents/lb..

Good luck!

OfflineMycoJunkie
Psilanthropist

#3329915 - 11/07/04 09:09 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Rah said:
If anything yeast will be good.. Try 2 or 3 jars.. I wouldnt go big with it at first?? Whats this stuff cost??

Umm.. somewhere in the range of $4-7 i believe.

Quote:

discman1 said:
That stuff looks really weird. I bet it would work, but some of those additives may be undesirable, and the way it has been processed into those little nuggets.

I had the same idea, only using 10-grain cereal. It doesen't look anything like that, though.. it isn't processed at all, besides being coarsly ground.

I made a pint cake just to see how it would work, and the mycelium really seemed to love it. It was very distinctly rhizomorphic all throughout the cake, it looked much different than a BRF cake.

It contains corn, rye, wheat, triticale, oats, barley, soy beans, brown rice, millet and flax seed.

I just made up some new jars yesterday, testing out some different cereal:verm ratios, and also a quart jar.. to see if it was shake-able. The first jar I made was a tad on the dry side.

That's what it looked like after comming out of the PC. That picture is misleading, because that is right after comming out of the PC. It looks very wet, but a few hours after that, almost all the visable moisture was gone, I guess it was redistributed throughout the substrate after sitting.

Here's a pic just before I birthed, dunked and cased yesterday.

It took 3 weeks to colonize, but I only injected a few drops of spore solution into 3 sites, since I was running low.

The yeast in your cereal will be killed by the PC, so that isn't something to worry about.

As for cost, I'm betting that it is very expensive, since it is a box-style cereal. The 10-grain I used was organic bulk, about 89cents/lb..

Good luck!

Niiiiice! Where did you get it? Whole foods?

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
    #3329943 - 11/07/04 09:20 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

MycoJunkie said:

Niiiiice! Where did you get it? Whole foods?

Just a local grocery store called WinCo.

If you know of any place that carries Bob's Red Mill stuff, they have a 10 grain cereal.

I really liked how easily the cake broke apart, too. BRF cakes can be a PITA.

OfflineMycoJunkie
Psilanthropist

Re: Idea: Substrate = 7 grain cereal question [Re: discman1]
    #3329956 - 11/07/04 09:28 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Cool, cool. I bet whole foods or sun harvest would have whole 10 grains in bulk. If not, I could simply mix and match, since they have at least 5+ grains, whole, in bulk.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck