Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
ads by google
    #3258824 - 10/20/04 11:40 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

1- are they susposed to be there? ( i assume so ) just checking to see if it's something on my end as i see them on a lot of sites recently.

2- if they are susposed to be there WHY?

if you guys sold out to google for fuckin search priority or some other crap that's pretty discusting, i hardly see the vendor banners anymore just ads by gooooooooogle. i sure hope this is just a problem on my end.

--------------------
There's a thin line between sanity and insanity... and I just snorted it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: ads by google [Re: John]
    #3258931 - 10/21/04 12:08 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

>1- are they supposed to be there?

Yes.

>2- if they are supposed to be there WHY?

We wanted to see if running them in the forum areas with a traditionally low click through rate would change this rate to a better. It doesn't seem the to the be case though, at least not significantly.

>, i hardly see the vendor banners anymore just ads by gooooooooogle.
> i sure hope this is just a problem on my end.

Yes, this is definitely a problem on your end.
If you ever left the community forums, you would see that there the Shroomery supporter banners are still flying. :smile:

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Re: ads by google [Re: Anno]
    #3258943 - 10/21/04 12:16 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/percent.php?who=115604&bare=1

cum on now anno, if i even left the community forums shit man, shit. that was low :smile:

you guys should drop that crap, you said yourself it aint doing a damn bit of good, minus the list of moral objections i could give, i mean, psychedelics and google marketing arn't exactly a glove fit man.

--------------------

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3258956 - 10/21/04 12:20 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

> the list of moral objections i could give

I would be interested to hear them.

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Re: ads by google [Re: Anno]
    #3258981 - 10/21/04 12:27 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3258768/an/0/page/0#3258768

that for one, the gmail thing scannig email just like ads by google scans the pages here to place revelant ads basically supporting capatalism at it's current most effective level, drilling into the minds of people they are not happy unless they have the latest new 'thing' are up with the latest trends and are constantly spending money as material possesions = happiness and if you have more stuff than your neighbor you are in everyway better than him. i suspose you were the one behind this? plus this is the fuckin shroomery man, even vendor advertising i don't really like, basically all marketing is bullshit, its a psycholigacal contest to see who can trick the people with money to spend it at their place, look at all the drama that arises every now and then from various vendors, it's all shit man and google is king of marketing and theyu work their way onto the shroomery, kinda sad if you ask me.

--------------------

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3259026 - 10/21/04 12:52 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

>http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3258768/an/0/page/0#3258768

So what about this link? All I see is another conspiracy theory.
According to the Google website:
" The index of searchable information created by Desktop Search is stored on your own computer."
"The Google Desktop Search program does not make your computer's content accessible to Google or anyone else."
So what's the deal? What makes google the big brother in this case?

> basically supporting capatalism at it's current most effective level, drilling
>into the minds of people they are not happy unless they have the latest new 'thing' are
> up with the latest trends and are constantly spending money as material possesions
>= happiness and if you have more stuff than your neighbor you are in everyway
>better than him.

Once again people give off their own responsibility and blame it on some corporation...
If you smoke, don't blame Philip Morris for getting cancer!
If you eat at McDonald's every day, don't blame Ronald for getting fat!

It is YOUR responsibility to decide what is good for you.
If you don't like the ads, don't click on them. As easy as it gets.

As for the capitalism, yes,that's the world we live in.... no money, no Shroomery. Sad, but true.

> i suspose you were the one behind this?

Yes, I proposed the idea among the administrators, and we agreed to test it for a period of time to see how it works out.

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Loc: Iceland Flag
    #3259156 - 10/21/04 01:49 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Anno already answered all the questions, I just wanted to add that we are only testing it out and will then make a decision on them.

People said we 'sold out' when we allowed banners here to begin with, I suppose any move we make that could possibly generate revenue will bring out people who have issues with money.

I still await someone to come forth and tell us we don't have to run banners and be AD free and that they will guarantee that our site is paid for and that our servers will be upgraded and maintained..

The list of people offering this is currently zero. The amount of offers of this sort in the last 6yrs is zero.

If we are sell outs for trying new things and always looking into new ideas then I'm proud to say we are sell outs.

I'm never going to apologize for this website using money to improve and benefit the site. Its just ridiculous to suggest that us looking into google ads to satisfy our own curiosity is a sell out.

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Re: ads by google [Re: Thor]
    #3260171 - 10/21/04 11:12 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

it's been mentioned numerous times to start accepting donations from users or even the shroomery supporter feature with added functions and nothing has ever been done about it, i bet the site would run just fine off user donations, if even 1/4 of active members donated $1 a month this place would be very well off but then geo steps in and says blah blah we have too much pride to ask for donations. so you look to google for money. those ads are pretty intrusive to i can't even adblock them with firefox.

--------------------

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

#3260348 - 10/21/04 12:04 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

John said:
it's been mentioned numerous times to start accepting donations from users or even the shroomery supporter feature with added functions and nothing has ever been done about it, i bet the site would run just fine off user donations, if even 1/4 of active members donated $1 a month this place would be very well off but then geo steps in and says blah blah we have too much pride to ask for donations. so you look to google for money. those ads are pretty intrusive to i can't even adblock them with firefox.

We have tried donations, we had a donations link and often asked for them in the early days. In fact during a tough period we needed to raise $1000 in a short time and we did through Ralph donating $500 of that and the rest coming from the community.

We cannot survive on donations, I know because I was financially responsible for the shroomery during the phase when Aphex handed over the shroomery during a time where we had 2 choices, #1 to close it down as our $109 hosting contract could not support the traffic back in 2000. #2 spend my own money to get our site onto a proper host and pay the much higher monthly costs.

Well the only option we had was to offer ADS, I couldnt afford to pay out of my own pocket for a long period, so we approached our vendors and they were of course very happy to put up a banner here.

What my point is I've seen money via donations, even with a really awesome raffle that raised us $2000 dollars over a 4 month period, that might sound like something we can do all the time, but the truth is if it wasnt for a small group of 5-8 users who bought a ton of raffle tickets we would not have come close to our goal.

We need a steady revenue stream, our costs per month range from $700-1000 depending on what upgrades we purchase, licenses, software upgrades, etc.. There is a lot to pay for.

The shroomery supporter feature will be out soon, we just bought a server exclusively for our emails so we could keep our site as secure as possible and dedicate one server to email. Again another cost that donations, shroomery supporters, etc.. couldn't pay for.

Our best estimates is we will have maybe 20-30 Shroomery supporters, if we charge say $5 per month, you are looking at $150 max per month. Even if I'm half off, and you say we'd get 60, well thats still $300 per month. Thats pennies for this website.

Geo never ever said we have too much pride to ask for donations, he simply said we don't need to as we have a steady revenue stream as is. If we ask money from our community now it would simply be out of greed as we can pay our bills AND afford upgrades to our site.

I also during my earlier years spoke with other drug website owners such as Erowid, Lycaeum, bluelight, etc.. It was not only commonly thought that donations were always dissapointing, but any site that would try to survive off those would surely not last more than a few months.

Quote:

i bet the site would run just fine off user donations

Sorry I can't bet the existance of our home on your guess that donations would work, I've seen the truth and I base my knowledge on the subject on first hand experience. You base yours on what exactly?

OfflineVampire999S
Man Of ManyAquariums
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Phoenix, AZ
    #3260512 - 10/21/04 01:34 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

When we activate the supporter feature we will probably keep a running total of the amount of current supporting members.

I would love to be surprised that more will/can do it but in guessing the number is going to be kind of sad.

If we relied on user support alone.. even if every active member gave us a dollar a month I don't think it would cover the hosting fee let alone any new equipment costs.

I would love to see this website run on user donations alone it would probably bring the community that much closer.. however at this point I dont think its even close to possible.

--------------------
./configure --without-sanity --without-logic --without-regret
jaded = safe != happy
Were not familly, we are the shroomery, and to some thats thicker than blood.

InvisibleCaptain Jack
i [heart] you

Re: ads by google [Re: Vampire999]
    #3261468 - 10/21/04 05:39 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Guys, don't take it personally. This guy is living in a fucking dreamworld.

Hosting a website isn't free. Bottom line.

--------------------
-
Captain Jack has been hailed as a brilliant scholar, discredited as a brilliant fraud, and mistaken for a much taller man on several occasions.

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Re: ads by google [Re: Captain Jack]
    #3261510 - 10/21/04 05:51 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Captain Jack said:
Guys, don't take it personally.  This guy is living in a fucking dreamworld.

Hosting a website isn't free.  Bottom line.

Sellout  :grin:

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

#3261813 - 10/21/04 06:53 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

clever

it's always run around, i know you guys need money, that's what vendors are for, the vendors here are selling things related to the site, it works out good for them and the site, okay no problem, i know geo didn't say too much pride that was my interpitation, but yeah google, um you just said " he simply said we don't need to as we have a steady revenue stream as is." so what's the deal? need money??? it's your site run it how you please, just think having ads by google is retarded especially if as you just said the place is finacially sound as it is.

--------------------

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

#3262068 - 10/21/04 07:58 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

John said:
clever

it's always run around, i know you guys need money, that's what vendors are for, the vendors here are selling things related to the site, it works out good for them and the site, okay no problem, i know geo didn't say too much pride that was my interpitation, but yeah google, um you just said " he simply said we don't need to as we have a steady revenue stream as is." so what's the deal? need money??? it's your site run it how you please, just think having ads by google is retarded especially if as you just said the place is finacially sound as it is.

A run around? I answered you in great detail. You suggested we try running the site with donations, thus obviously removing the vendors banners as well..

Like Anno said its a test, we never saw google Ads as anything serious, we were just curious to see their numbers as they are popping up all over the web and we wanted to see what the hub-bub was about.

Now as to 'clever' well its interesting you say this considering every single question or point you brought up has been answered in detail.

You are certainly contradicting yourself alot in this thread  :rolleyes:

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

#3262257 - 10/21/04 08:34 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

oh jesus can you not recognize satire when you see it, the single word clever seperated from the main body of my post was in response to your smartassness directly above the word as a representive of the community, weren't you the one with that long ass post of how moderators are held to a higher code than regular users?

i never said shit about the real vendors here, well i said i don't really like them but the thread was about google, i never started a thread complaining about the vendors, yeah i suggested running off donations OR OR OR OR OR OR OR OR keyword here is OR the shroomery supporter idea that is like 6 months old and was said to be implimented everytime you guys upgraded but has never happened because it's easier to have google ads then write some code i guess. i'm trying to be civil as i can and i'm pretty much an asshole to the admins here because i disagree with a lot so it took great restraint, and you revert to clever one liners (this is satire since you don't seem to recognize it) and that i'm contradicting myself.

--------------------

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

#3262432 - 10/21/04 09:07 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

oh jesus can you not recognize satire when you see it, the single word clever seperated from the main body of my post was in response to your smartassness directly above the word as a representive of the community, weren't you the one with that long ass post of how moderators are held to a higher code than regular users?

Your satire leaves alot to be desired. Is this why you stepped down as a mod, to lower your standards to this kind of post?

Quote:

i never said shit about the real vendors here, well i said i don't really like them but the thread was about google, i never started a thread complaining about the vendors,

But running off donations means having no banners of any time, that point is pretty clear.

Quote:

the shroomery supporter idea that is like 6 months old and was said to be implimented everytime you guys upgraded but has never happened because it's easier to have google ads then write some code i guess.

Interesting, so you are an expert of what is being done behind the scenes. Last time I checked Ythan/Vamp work their asses off on higher priority items. Its a direct insult to Vamp/Ythan to suggest they are slacking and Google Ads is some attempt to avoid real work. You have ZERO clue as to how much work those guys put into the technical part of this website and your comments here prove this.

Quote:

i'm trying to be civil as i can and i'm pretty much an asshole to the admins here because i disagree with a lot so it took great restraint, and you revert to clever one liners (this is satire since you don't seem to recognize it) and that i'm contradicting myself.

Sorry if logic is considered clever  :thumbup:

Sorry to see your true colours, I had you all wrong  :thumbdown:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale