Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleGreat_Cthulhu
enthusiast

Loc: R'lyeh
Safe to stack in pressure cooker?
    #324836 - 05/24/01 04:03 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Greetings,

Should it be safe to stack 1/2 pint jars when sterilizing with a pressure cooker and should they be let to cook any longer than normal? An aquantince has one of those old small pressure cookers . All that can fit in it are 3 jars on the bottom and 6 if stacked 2 high.
Also it has been read that it's best to keep jars in your sterilization chamber(PC) until fully cooled and your about to innoculate. Is it safe to remove them while still warm after maybe an 30mins to an hour cooling for storage until innoculation? ....so that sterilization of the rest of the jars could procede quicker. Or would the air cooling in the jar and drawing in air from the outside lead to contamination?
Am I paranoid?

--------------------
"That is not dead which may eternal lie..and with strange eons even death may die."
Vote Great Cthulhu for President. Why vote for a lesser evil?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Safe to stack in pressure cooker? [Re: Great_Cthulhu]
    #324850 - 05/24/01 05:04 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Quore from the "Mycelium Inoculation Technique":
There is an important detail to prevent airborne contamination entering the jars. Take a clean plastic bag and spray the inner side with Lysol. Rub it from outside so the Lysol is evenly dispersed on the inner surface of the bag. When the sterilization time is over, wait a few minutes for the pressure to build down to ambient. Then take a clean, folded cloth or thick gloves, open the cooker and transfer the (burning hot!) jars to the bag. Roll the rest of the bag together, so you get it pretty airtight. As the hot air in the jars is cooling down and its volume decreases, fresh (contaminated!) air from outside is drawn in. This setup will accomplish that the contaminants from the air set down on the wet bag surface and don't come into the jars!

---------------------------------------
kickme.to/mushrooms

Offlineegghead
veteran
Loc: Milky Way
    #324851 - 05/24/01 05:09 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

GC.. The pressure cooker should have instructions regarding how full you can fill it. Since pressure cookers are all different, it's safest to just follow the manufacturers recommendations. So while there's nothing wrong w/ stacking the jars, per se, doing so may cause and 'over full' situation in the PC.

* Contributor to the Free Spore Ring

--------------------
Where there's skill, there's a better way..

Offlinenestafy
Loc: Hawaii
Re: Safe to stack in pressure cooker? [Re: Anno]
    #324894 - 05/24/01 08:02 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Anno ->
Won't the plastic bag melt ? like a garbage bag or what ??

InvisibleGreat_Cthulhu
enthusiast

Loc: R'lyeh
Re: Safe to stack in pressure cooker? [Re: egghead]
    #324895 - 05/24/01 08:05 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately there is no manual to be had for this pressure cooker..it's a fairly older model. As for the Lysol bag deal...is that absolutely required? Perhaps the vermiculite would filter the incoming air as the jars cooled? I do not know... I have read a great deal but nothing beats experience.

--------------------
"That is not dead which may eternal lie..and with strange eons even death may die."
Vote Great Cthulhu for President. Why vote for a lesser evil?

Invisiblesynaptic
    #324902 - 05/24/01 08:13 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I have a similar pressure cooker. Can only fit 3 half-pint jars on the bottom and 3 more if I stack.

I was really concerned about them moving around and whatnot but it worked just fine. I just put three on the bottom in a pyramid configuration and three on top rotated 60 degrees (so the jars on the top rest on the jars on the bottom).

3   2

6   4

Make sense?

Be very careful taking out the hot jars. I used tongs last time and if one had slipped, scalding hot water would have splashed in my face. I didn't mess with the lysol bag stuff.. just left the aluminum foil taped to the jars and removed the next day. No contamination in 24 jars with 15-20min cooking time (timed after the pressure regulator started rocking) at 15psi.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Safe to stack in pressure cooker? [Re: nestafy]
    #324912 - 05/24/01 08:30 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

...Won't the plastic bag melt ? like a garbage bag or what ??

No, if you take a polypropylene(PP) or polyethilene(PE) bag it won?t melt. Garbage bags are often PP. At least in Europe.
I take a normal plastic shopping bag.(PP)

---------------------------------------
kickme.to/mushrooms

Edited by Anno on 05/24/01 10:32 AM.

Anonymous

Re: Safe to stack in pressure cooker? [Re: Anno]
    #324959 - 05/24/01 09:56 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

You can stack them and you can also set them on the counter to cool. I've never had any problems with either.

Take a trip to the Spore Lab @:
http://www.SporeLab.com
email: getspores@sporelab.com

Offlineshizifty
enthusiast
Loc: tdot
Re: Safe to stack in pressure cooker? [Re: ]
    #325362 - 05/24/01 06:08 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I second that. the steam and pressure is what sterilizes, and jars out of the water sitting on top of other jars still get the full treatment. cool them on the counter if you have foil covering the lids or even better, youve taped the innoculation holes before or after sterilizing. and thanks for the tip Anno!

----------------------------------------------------------
I was already skilled with the production apparatus and accomplished as a dj in addition to my rapping status

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------
creatures of the forest sing along with my chorus

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale