Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
A goofy movie with a neat message!
    #3240840 - 10/11/04 12:25 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Have you seen Ground Hog Day with Bill Murrey? If not, here's the short of it. It's about this egomanic self centered prick whose a reporter sent to lame town to cover the ground hog festivites. He falls for a fellow reporter and turns her off immediately.

The jist of this movie is, the next morning and every morning there after he keeps waking up to the same day, ground hog day.

For a while, he becomes and even bigger prick once he beleives it'll all be forgotten as the same day will just repeat itself again. He becomes careless and then, just wants to kill himself. He spends weeks throwing himself off cliffs and in front of trains and keeps waking up to the same day.

Then FINALLY, he comes back to thinking of the girl. He wants to share his love with her. So, each day there on, he goes for it, taking note of where he makes mistakes and then keeps correcting them. Day by day, he turns into this wonderful guy that everyone just loves, including the girl. He created the ideal day, by making new choices.

Finally, he wakes up the day after and starts a new life as a new and improved man.

I was relating this to the looping a lot of you talk about feeling caught up in. I was relating this to how I believe we come back and relive the same time lines over and over making new choices until we wake up from the looping to a new day, a new life, as new and improved people.

There is more symbology in this movie to relate to and work with then I can mention. If you see what I am seeing, it's a fun movie to play with as a reflective mirror.

The moral to the story is when he started wanting to live and wanting to share in love with others that the process of making new choices out of love began, finally breaking him from the looping.

Even if at first, the motive was selfish, by the end, he became a genuinely caring selfless person. Just wanted to share this.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: A goofy movie with a neat message! [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #3241012 - 10/11/04 12:58 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Ground Hog Day rocks. The lesson it contains shows thought on the part of the writers in a big way.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #3241099 - 10/11/04 01:20 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Even if at first, the motive was selfish, by the end, he became a genuinely caring selfless person.

Doesn't practically every hollywood comedy have a similarly saccarine moral in the end?

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: A goofy movie with a neat message! [Re: Phluck]
    #3241133 - 10/11/04 01:27 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I'd have to think about the sacharin moral in all comedies. To me, it wasn't about the quote you dropped. It was about choices and getting out of looping type patterns by making new ones out of caring about something other then yourself.

there was so much woven into that movie, I can't sum it up.

When I first saw years ago when it came out, it was just an entertaining movie to me, and one that rocked as hue said.

Then last night, I was talkin with the hubby about coming back to the same life and making mistakes and new choices blah blah blah and he said, " That sounds like ground hog day" Then a ton of symbology flooded in and I wanted to post on some of it.

What's even interesting to me is that once you start to recognise, universal paterns, you start seeing them behind all sorts of stuff.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineStinky
Toaster ofPop-tarts

#3241611 - 10/11/04 03:13 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Man, Groundhog Day is great, besides the whole philosophy part, I think its so fucking funny. It always cracks me up when the two old women dance together at the end, for some reason.

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
    #3242096 - 10/11/04 08:26 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

That movie is a classic, I must admit. I always loved the incredibly unique storyline.. it just has one of those catches that makes you love seeing what's gonna happen next.

It's important to note, there are SO MANY movies and books out there trying to deliver these same subtle metaphors that most people overlook. One of my favorite past-times is watching children's movies on the comedown of a trip. They always hold these deep metaphorical values that come screaming out at me due to the sped-up state of the old pattern detector. It's truly awe-inspiring.

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
    #3242098 - 10/11/04 08:28 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

gettinjiggywithit said:
What's even interesting to me is that once you start to recognise, universal paterns, you start seeing them behind all sorts of stuff.

Indeed! Some people think I'm crazy for picking up on "universal patterns". I pick up these (for lack of better words) "templates" that I find various situations fit into identically. It's hard to explain, but basically the content will be different while the "lay out" will be the same... sometimes scaled up or down drastically.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #3242565 - 10/11/04 12:59 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Another movie with a self transcendant theme that borders on being spiritual, I think, is "The Nightmare Before Christmas". Examine the lyrics to Jack's first song.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: A goofy movie with a neat message! [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #3242750 - 10/11/04 02:00 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I havn't seen that one yet hue. I'll look for the next time I'm at block busters. Thanks.

jaques,

So you saw the movie, understand the underlying patterns as templates of sorts in a morphegenic field.

I wan to ask you, at what point, do you think he made a template change.

I don't want to inflence what comes from you, because I want to hear thoughts other then my own being bounced back so I don't want to throw out my ideas on when and what it could be just yet. But if you need something to work with, I'll throw them out.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology