Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinediscman1
journeyman
10 grain cereal-List of suitable substrate grains?
    #3225848 - 10/07/04 12:13 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Ever since I started this hobby, I have been eyeing a bag of 10-grain cereal I have... I wonder if it would work well?

It has all kinds of stuff in it.. corn, rye, wheat, triticale, oats, barley, soy beans, brown rice, millet and flax seed.

It is coarsly ground. Is it bad to use "broken" grains?

I was thinking about whipping up a couple of jars as an experiment, using a combination of the WBS/rye/pf teks.. soak, simmer, mix with vermiculite(since it would clump).. I dunno.

Thoughts?

Christ, I haven't even gotten done with my first batch yet.. The itch to experiment is strong in me.. lol

Edited by discman1 (10/07/04 12:20 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineiluan
Keep your stickon the ice.
Male User Gallery

Loc: lookin at crazy in the re...
Re: 10 grain cereal-List of suitable substrate gra [Re: discman1]
    #3225858 - 10/07/04 12:19 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Well my friend just mixed in some total cereal into his WBS about 1/3 Total cereal to 2/3 WBS, he didn't think the cereal would work alone because it would become a big glub of mush.  Let ya know how those turn out  :cool:

--------------------
Remember..if the women don't find ya handsome,they should atleast find ya handy!

I do what i can with what i don't have!

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Re: 10 grain cereal-List of suitable substrate gra [Re: iluan]
    #3226144 - 10/07/04 01:58 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Have you tested the cereal to see how much moisture it can hold? I would take whatever you normally use for substrate, lets say brf, weight out a certain amount, simmer it like you would rye or wbs, then weigh it again. Then do the same with your cereal. That should give you a rough estimate on how much moisture it can hold. The verm will help with moisture levels a lot, but if it is not holding any in itself it will dry out and not colonize. Also this will allow you to see how much the cereal will break down. Myc can colonize on almost anything as long as it can get the water and food from it that it needs, even books or cardboard. You could even chop up the box it came in and colonize on that for that matter. Also make sure the cereal is all natural. You never know what chemicals they put in there to preserve it, some could be anti-fungal or something else that would hinder colonization, and there could of course have been chemicals sprayed on the plants during growing that might hurt it. Most of the oats and grains in there seem to carry what is needed to feed the myc, as a matter of a fact the high level of carbs should be good for it to colonize fast. You could add some honey or karo to speed it up a bit with sugars that break down fast but supply quick spiking energy. The barley in it should help with that also so it might not be needed. The broken grains will cause some moisture issues and will cause the myc to break it down quickly which will cause it to run out of food sooner by burning through it early on. It also stops air from getting in there, but once again the verm should help with that. You could even try putting cheerios in there to help with that depending on how fast they break down and chemicals in them. Clumping can be avoided with a few drops of jet dry. The soap-like substance in it coating everything not only stops it from clumping but helps fight off contamination. In theory though it could work.

Just remember when experimenting, tossing stuff in a jar and trying it out is anti-productive. You will lose lots of time, useful spores, jars that could be used in that time for growing and possibly introduce contamination to your incubation chamber. The key is to understand myc. What it is, and what it needs to live.

That being said. With understanding, I say experiment with anything and everything you can find that should work. You never know what the next best substrate will be. Your local supermarket is full of great substrates, you just have to know what to look for. Anyone from the newest of newbies to a seasoned veteran could find it, as long as they know what they are looking for. Following the rules is for dealers, knowing why the rules work is for innovators.

Also never give up. If you know the ingredients will work (as these should) and they don't then keep playing with the recipe until they do. Then perfect them, or post the results and allow everyone else to help you prefect them.

--------------------
Never Judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes, because then you are a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
Re: 10 grain cereal-List of suitable substrate gra [Re: MadHatR]
    #3226248 - 10/07/04 02:50 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the supportive post. :smile:

It seems to me if you could get the recipe down pat, it could be excellent.. It has such a wide variety of food sources in it, it could end up being pretty good. The trick will definately be getting the right consistency, since it isn't a powder like BRF(so it isn't going to coat the vermiculite), yet it would definately need some sort of aerator or it would become a block of goo.

I'm definately going to look into it more.

Perlite is an excellent aerator, but it doesen't really hold any water.... Hmm....

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
    #3226390 - 10/07/04 04:59 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

NP, I have made a substrate out of everything from grapenuts to oatmeal, so I know it can be made to work. It is just that grapenuts or oatmeal did not produce the results desired equal to the cost.

Keep experimenting man, and the best of luck to you.

Please post colonization times and fruits compared to usual teks along with brand names if/when the results are positive. Glad to see another supporter of alternatives.

--------------------
Never Judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes, because then you are a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offlinemockeylock
head
 User Gallery

Re: 10 grain cereal-List of suitable substrate gra [Re: MadHatR]
    #3226502 - 10/07/04 07:46 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I've fruited off of grapenuts before too.  But cereal is so expensive and it didn't work as well as the tried-and-true cheap methods.  I'd avoid it simply due to cost.  My tek could have used some tweaking, but I'm not going to bother. :stoned:

--------------------

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
Re: 10 grain cereal-List of suitable substrate gra [Re: mockeylock]
    #3226655 - 10/07/04 09:11 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

This 10 grain cereal is quite cheap. At 87 cents a pound, it is 1 penny cheaper per pound than BRF. :wink: At least, where I get it.

It is indeed organic.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3226974 - 10/07/04 10:57 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

89 cents a pound? Damn Rye is 53 cents a pound and thats expensive. Popcorns what like 7 bucks for 50 pounds, so that's like 14 cents a pound. WBS is somewhere in that range too. Then theres straw..5 bucks or less for a big ass bail thats gotta be over 50 pounds (and 50lbs of straw is ALOT). Not to mention all of these are quicker and produce more and bigger mushrooms..

So umm whats so hot about this cereal again?

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
Re: 10 grain cereal-List of suitable substrate gra [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3248739 - 10/12/04 07:10 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

:P

Oh well, I still want to try it. I'm still not sure how to go about this, so I'm just going to.. go for it.

I've soaked some of the 10 grain cereal overnight. Now I'm going to simmer it for a bit, and mix in vermiculite until it "looks" right. Granted, I have no idea what "right" looks like.. but I guess we'll see how it goes.

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

#3248760 - 10/12/04 07:17 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I have tried several dozen things. Yours idea will work. Just make sure the substraight is not to wet. A good rule of thumb is if you can squeeze water from it it is to wet. It is better to be a little dry than to wet. It should stick toghter and still fall apart. If that makes any sense then you know what I am talking about.

Good luck

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
Re: 10 grain cereal-List of suitable substrate gra [Re: Fucknuckle]
    #3248775 - 10/12/04 07:22 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Yep...

That's basically how I was going to go about it. I've made about 25 BRF cakes now, so I'm getting a good feel for what the basic consistency should look and feel like.

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

#3248797 - 10/12/04 07:26 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Finch Food bird seed is the very best thing to make cakes from, in the experience of this experimentor.

I use 8 parts finch seed and 2 parts verm. This makes excellent cakes. Soak 24 hour and simmer until seed just starts to split open. Drain very well and continue as normal in the PF tek

Or course I don't fruit cakes anymore I chop them up and inoculate straight Yellow Straw. FUCKING HUGH SHROOMS :crazy2: :thumbup:

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale