Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
various whole grains, anyone tried these?
    #867213 - 09/06/02 12:49 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Went looking for rye berries today, didn't find any. Found hulled millet, hard wheat berries, soft wheat berries, quinoa. Anyone tried these, and had success?

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
Re: various whole grains, anyone tried these? [Re: Raadt]
    #867272 - 09/06/02 01:37 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Read the whole grains section of the FAQ. Jesus...

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Re: various whole grains, anyone tried these? [Re: mickey_rourke]
    #867323 - 09/06/02 02:23 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

where exactly in the faq does it say if people have had good success with hulled millet, or wheat berries. I'm aware you CAN use them, i was asking results. Jesus, read the post.

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

OfflineRaadt
nicht

#867327 - 09/06/02 02:26 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

not to mention, there is no specification if hard or soft wheat works best. You can answer though, since the answer is so easily accessible in the FAQ  :grin:

--------------------
Raadt

OfflineNeonBlack
enthusiast
    #867339 - 09/06/02 02:34 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I've had great success with hard wheat berries.  As a matter of fact, some is just finishing colonizing in spawn bags.  One went a little too fast actually so I threw it in the fridge to let the other bag catch up.  Also, I just got back from buying some Scott's 3 in 1 compost and big roasting pans. I had to make sure I was well stocked with supplies for when they are finished.  :grin:   

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Re: various whole grains, anyone tried these? [Re: NeonBlack]
    #867346 - 09/06/02 02:37 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

ah, something helpful. Thank you, i'll go buy some tomorrow.

You have a specific grain/water ratio? or do you just simmer?

--------------------
Raadt

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
    #867351 - 09/06/02 02:42 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

In reply to:

where exactly in the faq does it say if people have had good success with hulled millet, or wheat berries.

Are you saying that you cannot take information presented and draw your own conclusion? The following is directly from the whole grains section of the FAQ. I will post the link at the end of this reply:
    You can use almost any grain as long it?s in its whole form. Rolled grains are not suitable.
    The most widely used is rye(=rye berries), but also wheat, millet(with husk), millet based birdseed(finch seed), whole oats, sorghum...
    You should use organicaly grown grain if available, although animal feed quality grain will also work.

http://shroomery.org/faq/faq.php?display=faq&nr=113&catnr=5&prog=1&lang=en

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

OfflineRaadt
nicht

#867368 - 09/06/02 02:52 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

again, i was asking results. I was unaware if you could use hulled millet - do you know? I was also asking if anyone had used soft or hard wheat, and which they had better results with, as any sensible person capable of processing information would have understood. I am aware you can use a plethora of substrates. I myself have, people have colonized dog food, and newspaper. That does NOT mean that those substrates have good fruiting results, or are fast or anything of that sort.

I was looking for a bit MORE information, than what i've already read. (the faq, some substrate recipes, etc..)

I know aliens tek uses quinoa, but i don't know if people have used it alone and had decent fruting results.

I know you're getting quick with the faq gun, now that you're an mod.. but seriously, just read a post before you reply and try and make someone feel belittled, or stupid. I've been reading these forums for probably as long as you have, and was looking for a quick answer, not a smart ass reply.. giving me no more information than the FAQ. Which of course, I have read. Ad nauseum.

thanks.

--------------------
Raadt

Edited by Raadt (09/06/02 02:56 PM)

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
    #867374 - 09/06/02 02:55 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Your orginal post stated: Went looking for rye berries today, didn't find any. Found hulled millet, hard wheat berries, soft wheat berries, quinoa. Anyone tried these, and had success?

LOL...Looks to me that you wanted information concerning wether or not any of the above listed grains would work. The FAQ answered your question. Enough said.

--------------------

OfflineRaadt
nicht

#867380 - 09/06/02 02:58 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Okay, I guess in order to appease those incapable of looking past the obvious. I'll be more in-depth with my questions.

--------------------
Raadt

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
    #867390 - 09/06/02 03:03 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

It's hard to misinterpret "Anyone tried these, and had success?" as meaning "What was the performance like using -insert grain here- versus -insert grain here-?" I guess we're supposed to be mind readers here. Right? LOL

--------------------

Edited by mickey_rourke (09/06/02 03:04 PM)

OfflineRaadt
nicht

#867395 - 09/06/02 03:06 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

No, but success is measured in degrees.

Some people may have had good luck colonizing a certain grain, and poor fruiting results. There's a reason rye and millet seem to be the standard, and i'm not experienced enough to know why. So I was asking for results. Or degrees of success. Yes.

Mind reading, i don't know. Just analysis and critical thinking.

--------------------
Raadt

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
    #867397 - 09/06/02 03:08 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

State your intentions more clearly next time and you'll avoid coming across as a newbie. :wink:

Good luck! 

--------------------

OfflineRaadt
nicht

#867399 - 09/06/02 03:10 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

ok

--------------------
Raadt

OfflineNeonBlack
enthusiast
    #867405 - 09/06/02 03:15 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I just simmer the grains. It a whole lot easier than trying to get the water ratio right. I could never quite get it perfect. I saved some of the water that I simmered the grain in and sterilized it. I'm planning on using that to do a little liquid culturing of the biggest fruit. About the FAQ, I think it is silly to be so uptight about it. Just because something is in there does not mean that it is not worth having another discussion on it to get people's recent experiences and opinions. A little human imput and experience can be much more helpful. People need to be careful about becoming too dogmatic about the FAQ and making the mistake of assuming that it is an infallible source of knowledge. Questions are always worth asking.

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Re: various whole grains, anyone tried these? [Re: NeonBlack]
    #867429 - 09/06/02 03:25 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

thank you neon. your input has been quite helpful, i'll buy my wheat this weekend.

I wasn't trying to be an ass, mickey. Sorry. I just get frustrated to see that when i've been cultivating long enough to not get that. It's my fault, though.. for being unclear with my question. I get annoyed with the posts of repetition too.

I was actually most curious about unhulled millet. But... whatever= )

--------------------
Raadt

Offlinehenryp
Refugee from the Group W bench

#867936 - 09/06/02 10:01 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Don't sweat it dude...........

Unhulled millet works great. Get it at a nursery or pet food store (or get birdseed that's MOSTLY millet). Use about 225 ml millet to 150 ml water in quart jars, just add the seed and water and pressure cook (oh, if it's got some kind of coating on it you'll have to rinse that off first.....) Works great every time. My cat has done more than 50 jars this way and hasn't had any contamination, the water content is about right, and mycelium eats it like candy.........

--------------------
"You do know how to whistle, don't you, Steve?  You just put your lips together and.....blow"

Edited by henryp (09/06/02 10:03 PM)

InvisibleDaBeerLover
Stranger
    #868022 - 09/06/02 11:31 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

hey buddy.

I had a hard time finding rye around here so i tried half of my jars with white wheat berrys. and the other half with some finch seed. with the same strain . there was a big difference. the ones that grew on the wheat were small and twisted looking but had good potency. the ones on finch looked better and grew bigger.

i still need to do more work with wheat. so i would recomend finch seed.

best of luck

DaBeerLover

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation