Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Found some lobsters, have some questions
    #3220723 -

Hey there,

I found some lobster mushrooms! I understand they are yummy and will be testing this theory soon. In mushrooms demystified it's written that these are a parasitic species that engulfs mushrooms like lactarius and russulas. This sounds bizarre. Please elaborate if you know anything. This makes sense that I'd find them cause there are a ton of russulas everywhere.

What I wonder is what happens when the lobster mushroom consumes a poisonous mushroom? Can you get poisoned? In M. Demystified Aurora speculates on this point and concludes that poisonings almost certainly don't occur from this, or at least hasn't been recorded. In All the Rain Promises and More he doesn't even mention this possibility. Do you know anything about this? Sounds like it's safe, but I'm.. paranoid? Not really, more curious if there's been more research on this.

Also, there are so many around in the woods here, much more than I can consume while the shrooms are still good. Do they taste good dried? Should I cut em up, dry 'em and eat 'em all winter? I'll post some pictures when I get my film developed, should be soon. In the meantime, got anything to say about lobsters?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Found some lobsters, have some questions [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #3220858 -

You have to be very careful to know the host species. You can get poisoned and ill if you arent' careful. At least this is MY understanding.

There are quite a few short stalked white russulas popping up on my land that have been parasitized into Lobster Mushrooms this year for some reason. The science end of it still baffles me...because it actually changes their FORM. No gills anymore, color, etc. Very odd indeed.

As to their taste. Delectible! More body than a Chanterelle. Full flavor. Great with chicken!

You'll have to wait for the real brainy ones for further details. They still astound me. (the brainy ones AND the mushrooms! )

L


--------------------
"You must be the change you want to see in the world."
Mahatma Gandhi

Edited by freedomseeker (10/05/04 10:30 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Found some lobsters, have some questions [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #3222078 -

Here's a little of the science end of it.

http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/aug2001.html

Here's a good page to read for your reference.

http://www.bluewillowpages.com/mushroomexpert/hypomyces_lactifluorum.html

Makes you MORE paranoid huh!?? Toxicman suggests cooking one teaspoon well and trying that to see if there are any reactions. I've been doing that on any new species this year. Good thing to do.

I also followed his suggestion of leaving one or some of the mushrooms in the frig for ID if there is a problem. I go one step further and write the time, type, and which mushroom I am testing on a pad and leave it on or under a small bowl with some of the cooked mushroom I'm checking out.

So far...no trouble. One Agaricus made my GI track kinda busy for an entire evening with rumbling and gurgling. I decided not to eat any quantity of that variety.

Forgot to talk about how to save them. One good method is to saute them in some butter until they are 2/3 or so cooked and put them in plastic bags or containers in the freezer. At least that's how I deal with Chanterelles.

I'm gonna go snag more of mine.

Just make sure to scan the area very well to see what is actively growing near them. It shouldn't be too difficult to decipher what the host mushroom is.

Good luck! .....and staying a little or a lto paranoid will keep you alive. No shame in that!

L


--------------------
"You must be the change you want to see in the world."
Mahatma Gandhi

Edited by freedomseeker (10/06/04 10:31 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Found some lobsters, have some questions [Re: freedomseeker]
    #3222111 -

Thats how my friends gandma preps her chanterels. She does this butter and onion sauce with a lil creme added. She then thickens it with some flower. Then throws it in the deep freeze.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Found some lobsters, have some questions [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #3222719 -

Lobster Mushrooms are a parasitic fungus that consumes a mushroom. Although several mycologists recommend identifying the host mushroom, that would be difficult for a professional, and I am unaware of *any* poisonings from them.

Freedomseeker's description of the method for trying new mushrooms is right on. I'm glad somebody does it that way.

Lobster Mushrooms are well preserved by drying, and that is the most common method. Other methods will probably work fine, too.

Happy mushrooming!


--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Found some lobsters, have some questions [Re: ToxicMan]
    #3224268 -

Quote:
I am unaware of *any* poisonings from them.



That's really cool to know!

Also drying them to preserve them sounds like a great plan since their texture is so substantial!

Yes Toxicman...I HAVE learned from you!  SEE......you are helping humanity by answering our questions!  :flowers:

L


--------------------
"You must be the change you want to see in the world."
Mahatma Gandhi

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Found some lobsters, have some questions [Re: ToxicMan]
    #3224541 -

Thanks for the hints guys. As there are lots of these lobsters kicking around, I'm going to do my best to identify what they may have chosen as their host, and then, because they are so big and meaty I won't need a ton of individual shrooms to have a winter's supply so I'll test a little piece of each one and then dry them all up in a nice organized way. It's good to know that actual recorded poisonings from these mushrooms haven't surfaced, maybe they just happen to consume edible mushrooms or maybe they denature the poisonous aspects of mushrooms as they alienize them. Either way, lucky for us but I plan to proceed cautiously..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Found some lobsters, have some questions [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #3224701 -

Here in Colorado they seem to pretty much exclusively parasitize Russula brevipes.

Part of the problem is that Russulas are very difficult to identify even when they are in prime fresh condition. After being parasitized all the features one might use to identify them are destroyed.

Other than identifying specimens that are only half parasitized I don't know how you would do it.

Happy mushrooming!


--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Uber Chanterelle find(PICS)
( 1 2 all )
Gumby 6,432 25 07/16/03 01:17 PM
by eric_the_red
* Lobsters, Blewits, and Sacred Gyms shroomydan 2,167 18 08/22/04 08:36 PM
by shroomydan
* lobster mushrooms? TomJoad 5,892 7 07/14/03 08:07 AM
by Anonymous
* Chanterelles and other mushrooms(lots of pics) Gumby 4,729 11 06/23/04 11:30 AM
by bongoboy2000
* Need ID help in the Chanterelle family. Lizard King 3,880 17 06/20/03 08:48 AM
by GGreatOne234
* Lobster Mushrooms mattx 10,201 8 02/11/06 10:14 AM
by eris
* Pan subbs and a few questions(PICS) Gumby 5,287 13 08/03/03 04:43 PM
by Gumby
* Possible Chanterelle, Please Help ID Anansi 3,382 8 10/13/03 02:58 PM
by ToxicMan

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: ToxicMan, karode13, inski, Alan Rockefeller, Duggstar, TimmiT, Anglerfish, Tmethyl, Lucis, Doc9151, Land Trout
1,402 topic views. 0 members, 5 guests and 51 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.025 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 16 queries.