Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
Found some lobsters, have some questions
    #3220723 - 10/06/04 12:10 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Hey there,

I found some lobster mushrooms! I understand they are yummy and will be testing this theory soon. In mushrooms demystified it's written that these are a parasitic species that engulfs mushrooms like lactarius and russulas. This sounds bizarre. Please elaborate if you know anything. This makes sense that I'd find them cause there are a ton of russulas everywhere.

What I wonder is what happens when the lobster mushroom consumes a poisonous mushroom? Can you get poisoned? In M. Demystified Aurora speculates on this point and concludes that poisonings almost certainly don't occur from this, or at least hasn't been recorded. In All the Rain Promises and More he doesn't even mention this possibility. Do you know anything about this? Sounds like it's safe, but I'm.. paranoid? Not really, more curious if there's been more research on this.

Also, there are so many around in the woods here, much more than I can consume while the shrooms are still good. Do they taste good dried? Should I cut em up, dry 'em and eat 'em all winter? I'll post some pictures when I get my film developed, should be soon. In the meantime, got anything to say about lobsters?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinefreedomseeker
Crazy old lady!

Loc: Washington State
Re: Found some lobsters, have some questions [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #3220858 - 10/06/04 12:29 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

You have to be very careful to know the host species. You can get poisoned and ill if you arent' careful. At least this is MY understanding.

There are quite a few short stalked white russulas popping up on my land that have been parasitized into Lobster Mushrooms this year for some reason. The science end of it still baffles me...because it actually changes their FORM. No gills anymore, color, etc. Very odd indeed.

As to their taste. Delectible! More body than a Chanterelle. Full flavor. Great with chicken!

You'll have to wait for the real brainy ones for further details. They still astound me. (the brainy ones AND the mushrooms! )

L

--------------------
"You must be the change you want to see in the world."
Mahatma Gandhi

Edited by freedomseeker (10/06/04 12:30 AM)

Offlinefreedomseeker
Crazy old lady!

#3222078 - 10/06/04 12:07 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Here's a little of the science end of it.

http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/aug2001.html

Here's a good page to read for your reference.

http://www.bluewillowpages.com/mushroomexpert/hypomyces_lactifluorum.html

Makes you MORE paranoid huh!?? Toxicman suggests cooking one teaspoon well and trying that to see if there are any reactions. I've been doing that on any new species this year. Good thing to do.

I also followed his suggestion of leaving one or some of the mushrooms in the frig for ID if there is a problem. I go one step further and write the time, type, and which mushroom I am testing on a pad and leave it on or under a small bowl with some of the cooked mushroom I'm checking out.

So far...no trouble. One Agaricus made my GI track kinda busy for an entire evening with rumbling and gurgling. I decided not to eat any quantity of that variety.

Forgot to talk about how to save them. One good method is to saute them in some butter until they are 2/3 or so cooked and put them in plastic bags or containers in the freezer. At least that's how I deal with Chanterelles.

I'm gonna go snag more of mine.

Just make sure to scan the area very well to see what is actively growing near them. It shouldn't be too difficult to decipher what the host mushroom is.

Good luck! .....and staying a little or a lto paranoid will keep you alive. No shame in that!

L

--------------------
Mahatma Gandhi

Edited by freedomseeker (10/06/04 12:31 PM)

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa
 User Gallery

Re: Found some lobsters, have some questions [Re: freedomseeker]
    #3222111 - 10/06/04 12:18 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Thats how my friends gandma preps her chanterels. She does this butter and onion sauce with a lil creme added. She then thickens it with some flower. Then throws it in the deep freeze.

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #3222719 - 10/06/04 02:45 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Lobster Mushrooms are a parasitic fungus that consumes a mushroom. Although several mycologists recommend identifying the host mushroom, that would be difficult for a professional, and I am unaware of *any* poisonings from them.

Freedomseeker's description of the method for trying new mushrooms is right on. I'm glad somebody does it that way.

Lobster Mushrooms are well preserved by drying, and that is the most common method. Other methods will probably work fine, too.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinefreedomseeker
Crazy old lady!

Re: Found some lobsters, have some questions [Re: ToxicMan]
    #3224268 - 10/06/04 08:57 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

I am unaware of *any* poisonings from them.

That's really cool to know!

Also drying them to preserve them sounds like a great plan since their texture is so substantial!

Yes Toxicman...I HAVE learned from you!  SEE......you are helping humanity by answering our questions!  :flowers:

L

--------------------
Mahatma Gandhi

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
Re: Found some lobsters, have some questions [Re: ToxicMan]
    #3224541 - 10/06/04 09:59 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for the hints guys. As there are lots of these lobsters kicking around, I'm going to do my best to identify what they may have chosen as their host, and then, because they are so big and meaty I won't need a ton of individual shrooms to have a winter's supply so I'll test a little piece of each one and then dry them all up in a nice organized way. It's good to know that actual recorded poisonings from these mushrooms haven't surfaced, maybe they just happen to consume edible mushrooms or maybe they denature the poisonous aspects of mushrooms as they alienize them. Either way, lucky for us but I plan to proceed cautiously..

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #3224701 - 10/06/04 10:46 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Here in Colorado they seem to pretty much exclusively parasitize Russula brevipes.

Part of the problem is that Russulas are very difficult to identify even when they are in prime fresh condition. After being parasitized all the features one might use to identify them are destroyed.

Other than identifying specimens that are only half parasitized I don't know how you would do it.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification