Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Culinary Arts, Gardening and Brewing

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Delicious Bacon, Hot Sauce

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblesucklesworth
Lick me where Ipee
Loc: If I was up yer ass you'd...
Mac N cheese - homemade only
    #3222088 - 10/06/04 12:09 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

1 (8 ounce) package elbow macaroni
1 (8 ounce) package shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1 (12 ounce) container small curd cottage cheese
1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil, add pasta, and cook until done; drain.
In 9x13 inch baking dish, stir together macaroni, shredded Cheddar cheese, cottage cheese, sour cream, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. In a small bowl, mix together bread crumbs and melted butter. Sprinkle topping over macaroni mixture.
Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until top is golden.

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa
 User Gallery

Re: Mac N cheese - homemade only [Re: sucklesworth]
    #3222101 - 10/06/04 12:15 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I like serving it with stewed tomatoes. I also like ham tossed in the mac n cheese.

I want some!

--------------------

Offlinefelix
this and that
 User Gallery

#3223002 - 10/06/04 03:45 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

does this come out like the creamy mac n cheese?

my friends mom used to cook us a huge pot of macaroni and cheese. she didn't bake it. it was way less creamy and more string-cheesy..if that makes sense. i'm trying to figure out how to make it like that. her's wasn't orange colored either, i think she used mozarella.

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

OfflineStonedShroom
OG shroomerite
 User Gallery

#3236181 - 10/09/04 01:07 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

yummy

I like to chop up those red hot links and add it to mac n cheese

--------------------
We are not human beings going through a temporary spiritual experience.

We are spiritual beings going through a temporary human experience.

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
    #3245109 - 10/11/04 11:11 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

that sounds sorta yucky. i like velveeta mac and cheese. when i put non process cheese in my mac, it gets all stringy.

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
Re: Mac N cheese - homemade only [Re: felix]
    #3245744 - 10/12/04 01:23 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I like the stringy white cheese version also, I have no clue what type of cheese it was.. probably mozzarella like you mentioned.

--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

Invisiblesucklesworth
Lick me where Ipee
Re: Mac N cheese - homemade only [Re: eris]
    #3246574 - 10/12/04 10:07 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

many white cheeses get stringy, my old man used to use swiss and mozz - nice and stringy

--------------------

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
    #3260868 - 10/21/04 05:25 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

she could have used cheddar. real cheddar is white, they just dye it 'cause most people like yellow better than white.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Offlinefelix
this and that
 User Gallery

Re: Mac N cheese - homemade only [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #3261219 - 10/21/04 06:46 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

wow i didn't even know that...

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Re: Mac N cheese - homemade only [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #3261773 - 10/21/04 08:47 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

you can thank big companies like kraft for that crap. Not to mention american cheese, real cheese that has been processed the fuck out of and then individually wrapped, what a load of crap.

OfflineOrangeVWCamper
"Tie Dye'dBandit"

Loc: Florida
Re: Mac N cheese - homemade only [Re: daussaulit]
    #3264669 - 10/22/04 02:38 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

All this talk is getting me hungry.

Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 45º parallel
Re: Mac N cheese - homemade only [Re: OrangeVWCamper]
    #5968999 - 08/16/06 11:59 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

OrangeVWCamper said:
All this talk is getting me hungry.

haha yeah, baked macaroni is key. Mustard is what makes it delicious in my opinion. :smile:

--------------------

I am incapable of conceiving infinity, and yet I do not accept finity.
- Simone de Beauvoir -

InvisibleIrradiated_Feces
doomedgeneration
 User Gallery

Loc: Great White North
Re: Mac N cheese - homemade only [Re: snoot]
    #5969057 - 08/16/06 12:25 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

bingo! Mustard is definetly the key ingredient. Pasta of your choosing, chopped chunks of cheddar(preference) and a slathering of mustard all stirred up on the stovetop.

Invisiblesucklesworth
Lick me where Ipee
Re: Mac N cheese - homemade only [Re: Irradiated_Feces]
    #11432405 - 11/11/09 01:12 PM (7 years, 29 days ago)

I made this last night - the bacon mixture really makes the dish

Ingredients
Kosher salt
1 pound elbow macaroni
4 cups milk
2 or 3 sprigs thyme
4 cloves garlic, smashed and divided
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
5 1/2 cups shredded sharp white Cheddar
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
4 slices bacon, cut crosswise into thin strips
1 large onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, smashed
Leaves from 1/4 bunch fresh thyme

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the macaroni and cook for 8 to 9 minutes, until al dente. Drain.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

In a small saucepan heat the milk with the thyme sprigs and 2 garlic cloves. Melt the butter in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly, to keep lumps from forming. Strain the solids out of the milk and whisk it into the butter and flour mixture. Continue to whisk vigorously, and cook until the mixture is nice and smooth. Stir in the 4 cups of the cheese and continue to cook and stir to melt the cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Add the cooked macaroni and the parsley and fold that all in to coat the macaroni with the cheese mixture. Scrape into a 3-quart baking dish and sprinkle with the remaining 1 1/2 cups cheese. Bake for 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.

While that bakes, heat a saute pan. Add the bacon, render the fat and cook until crispy. Add onion, garlic and thyme leaves and cook for about 5 minutes to soften the onion. Season with salt and pepper.

To serve, scatter the bacon mixture over the mac and cheese. Use a big spoon to scoop out servings, making sure you get some of the smoking bacon mixture on each spoonful.

--------------------

OfflineLiquidSmoke
My title's cooler than yours DBK

Loc: S.A.G.G.Y.B.A.L.L.S.
    #11432542 - 11/11/09 01:34 PM (7 years, 29 days ago)

duuuude

the bacon topping is absurd  (in a good way)

--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 45º parallel Flag
Re: Mac N cheese - homemade only [Re: LiquidSmoke]
    #11432732 - 11/11/09 02:07 PM (7 years, 29 days ago)

Cream is essiential for quality mac and cheese, we've experiemented alot at work, and we've found the best way to make mac and cheese, is to produce a very velvety fondue first, by fine mincing onions, swet the shit out of those in butter, splash with white wine, add a splash of paprika, a bit of strong dijon, reduce, make a roux from a decent amount of flour. Then add depending on how much you make, we make it 4qts at a time, add however much cream, reduce for a second. Then mix in lots and lots of cheese, good quality chedder, not anything dry aged. You can expirement with cheeses, we've made everything from 12cheese crazyness to bacon and smoked gouda. Different cheese require different amounts of cream, and prep times. Takes a bit of practice, but it makes for awesome mac and cheese. Take a glop of the fondue, splash of cream, heat up in your saucier, fold in cavatappi pasta. Gratin that shit, with a bit of bread crumbs and finely diced apple smoked bacon, and course ground peppercorns. mmmfcheese:boobs:

--------------------

I am incapable of conceiving infinity, and yet I do not accept finity.
- Simone de Beauvoir -

OfflineGetTheFuckOut
Long Gone.
 User Gallery

#11433160 - 11/11/09 03:17 PM (7 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

sucklesworth said:
I made this last night - the bacon mixture really makes the dish

Ingredients
Kosher salt
1 pound elbow macaroni
4 cups milk
2 or 3 sprigs thyme
4 cloves garlic, smashed and divided
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
5 1/2 cups shredded sharp white Cheddar
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
4 slices bacon, cut crosswise into thin strips
1 large onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, smashed
Leaves from 1/4 bunch fresh thyme

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the macaroni and cook for 8 to 9 minutes, until al dente. Drain.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

In a small saucepan heat the milk with the thyme sprigs and 2 garlic cloves. Melt the butter in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly, to keep lumps from forming. Strain the solids out of the milk and whisk it into the butter and flour mixture. Continue to whisk vigorously, and cook until the mixture is nice and smooth. Stir in the 4 cups of the cheese and continue to cook and stir to melt the cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Add the cooked macaroni and the parsley and fold that all in to coat the macaroni with the cheese mixture. Scrape into a 3-quart baking dish and sprinkle with the remaining 1 1/2 cups cheese. Bake for 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.

While that bakes, heat a saute pan. Add the bacon, render the fat and cook until crispy. Add onion, garlic and thyme leaves and cook for about 5 minutes to soften the onion. Season with salt and pepper.

To serve, scatter the bacon mixture over the mac and cheese. Use a big spoon to scoop out servings, making sure you get some of the smoking bacon mixture on each spoonful.

that sounds friggin awesome

--------------------
<
I have logged in this once so that I can set the "last seen" feature up.  let the faggots flow forth into OTD and have it.  Its funny how they all grew nuts after I left.  I'm not here, I'm not reading, but I urge you all to keep melting down over me.  I know, I hurt alot of people, and they deserved it.  epic win for me, epic fail for you. 

ythan, you rock dude.  i feel that my time at the shroomery was very positive and enjoyable, but this site is no longer for me. im not mad or upset or disappointed, i just want no part in a pg rated faggot festival.
<

Invisiblesucklesworth
Lick me where Ipee
Re: Mac N cheese - homemade only [Re: GetTheFuckOut]
    #11433365 - 11/11/09 03:42 PM (7 years, 29 days ago)

I used a hunk of NYC double cream white cheddar and an aged irish white cheddar.  The irish was a little grainy but the taste was awesome.

I was honestly a little nervous about the bacon mixture cuz I'm kinda plain jane - but it definitely took it from great to spectacular

--------------------

OfflineGetTheFuckOut
Long Gone.
 User Gallery

#11434516 - 11/11/09 06:18 PM (7 years, 28 days ago)

im going to have to give this a try

thanks plain jane.

--------------------
<
I have logged in this once so that I can set the "last seen" feature up.  let the faggots flow forth into OTD and have it.  Its funny how they all grew nuts after I left.  I'm not here, I'm not reading, but I urge you all to keep melting down over me.  I know, I hurt alot of people, and they deserved it.  epic win for me, epic fail for you. 

ythan, you rock dude.  i feel that my time at the shroomery was very positive and enjoyable, but this site is no longer for me. im not mad or upset or disappointed, i just want no part in a pg rated faggot festival.
<

Offlineboygenius
strangler

Loc: Middle of no-nuthin'
    #11436857 - 11/11/09 10:44 PM (7 years, 28 days ago)

Best Mac-n-Cheese EVER!  It takes some work and is kinda spendy (by mac-n-cheese standards), but absolutely worth it.

Use block American cheese from the deli counter—prewrapped slices of American cheese will result in a drier mac and cheese.

Serves 8 to 10. 
Ingredients
3–4 slices hearty white sandwich bread , torn into large pieces
8 tablespoons unsalted butter , 4 tablespoons melted
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Salt
1 pound elbow macaroni
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 (12-ounce) cans evaporated milk
2 teaspoons hot sauce
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon dry mustard
2 cups shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
1 1/4 cups shredded American cheese , (about 5 ounces)
3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Instructions

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Pulse bread, melted butter, and Parmesan in food processor until ground to coarse crumb. Transfer to bowl.

2. Bring 4 quarts water to boil in large pot. Add 1 tablespoon salt and macaroni to boiling water and cook until al dente, about 6 minutes. Reserve 1/2 cup macaroni cooking water, then drain and rinse macaroni in colander under cold running water. Set aside.

3. Melt remaining 4 tablespoons butter in now-empty pot over medium-high heat until foaming. Stir in flour and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture turns light brown, about 1 minute. Slowly whisk in evaporated milk, hot sauce, nutmeg, mustard, and 2 teaspoons salt and cook until mixture begins to simmer and is slightly thickened, about 4 minutes. Off heat, whisk in cheeses and 1/2 cup reserved pasta water until cheese melts. Stir in macaroni until completely coated.

4. Transfer mixture to 13 by 9-inch baking dish and top with bread crumb mixture. Bake until cheese is bubbling around edges and top is golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Let sit for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.

Make Ahead: The macaroni and cheese can be made in advance through step 3; since the pasta continues to absorb moisture, adjustments must be made to avoid a dry filling. To do so, increase amount of reserved pasta cooking water to 1 cup. Pour filling into 13 by 9-inch baking dish, lay plastic wrap directly on surface of pasta, and refrigerate for up to 1 day. The bread crumb mixture may be refrigerated in airtight container up to 2 days. When ready to bake, remove plastic wrap, cover macaroni mixture with foil, and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle bread crumbs over top, and bake until topping is golden brown, about 20 minutes longer.

--------------------
"It's too nice of a day to be stupid indoors"  ~ Ren

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Delicious Bacon, Hot Sauce

General Interest >> Culinary Arts, Gardening and Brewing