Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineSilven
Male

Loc: El Mexicano
Wow my boss.. wants my opinion?
    #3221911 - 10/06/04 08:37 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

So after a year and a half of sitting around being ignored by management, I asked for a raise and submitted my overly stacked job responsibility listing, just two days later the management team has me sitting in on meetings?

I was told that my request would probably go through for a pay raise but not to the degree I asked for (bummer), but now I'm kind of curious as to if they are moving me into a position of power  :evil: since they are asking and using my opinions.  I have even been placed in charge of a database design team (wow!) and am currently running two of our in house promotions.

I mean, not that anyone really cares, I'm just amazed that all my bitching is finally seeming to pay off! :smile:

The other thought that has crossed my mind is they are giving me more responsibility to make me "feel important" to lower my want for a raise, kind of trying to pacify me and keep their money in their pockets.  I don't know though, our general manager is too hard to read.

- Silven :mushroom2:

--------------------
What do you bring to the table?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibletrendalM Happy Birthday!
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: Wow my boss.. wants my opinion? [Re: Silven]
    #3221916 - 10/06/04 08:41 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

You're getting screwed, my friend :smirk:

You asked for a RAISE, so what do they do? They give you some extra money (though not what you feel you deserve) but also give you a lot more responsibility. More responsibility = MORE WORK. So really they just gave you more work to do and will pay you a little extra for the more work you have to do. :wink:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflinePhychotron
Crazy Mofo
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In A Forest Of Colossal F...
    #3221924 - 10/06/04 08:44 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

yep, basicaly, they get you to work harder if they know you 'feel' responcible for things, but dont pay you what its worth.

how much do you make, and how much did you ask for?

--------------------
On a mission to prove that the truth gets you no where.
They tried the truth, It didn't work. Then they wrote the bible. 

Only the foolish fear the inevitable.

OfflineKidShelleen
watch thesensations
    #3221946 - 10/06/04 09:02 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

The way to the top of the ladder isn't fast or easy.  If they paid you more for doing the same work, they would view you as a liability and they would show you the door when things got rough.  Paying you more AND giving you more responsibility means they consider you critical to the operation.  That means job security and eventually more money.  Much more money.  Stay the course and in a few years you will be making much more money and be in a position to delegate the work you don't like.  And the dopes who demanded more money without more responsibility will be in the same position they were five years ago - or they will be gone entirely.

Also, now that you have been brought into the management loop, they are going to quickly see how good you really are.  There will be time later on to ask for more money - after they are fully aware of how lucky they are to have you.

You should be very happy with the results you got.  Besides, if they had given you all the pay increase you asked for, you would now be thinking that you didn't ask for enough, right? :tongue2:     

KS

--------------------
"Who would be free themselves must strike the blow" -Lord Byron

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
    #3221948 - 10/06/04 09:02 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

more responsibility will probably make your job more interesting and make you feel better about yourself even though you might have to do some extra work. if you get payed extra that's a plus, especially if you like your job :cool:

OfflineSilven
Male

Loc: El Mexicano
Re: Wow my boss.. wants my opinion? [Re: KidShelleen]
    #3221959 - 10/06/04 09:12 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

KidShelleen what you said makes sense.  I hope that you're right.

I do graphic design and proposal drafting for new prospective accounts, and now I have the above mentioned duties tacked on as well.

I get paid $11, and was promised a raise last year but never saw it.  This year I asked for a $2 an hour raise, and my manager said they will see about $1.25 right now and he may see about another small raise at the end of the year or when I have the Access Database completely constructed.  (This makes me think it's like a test or something along these lines).

But to be honest $11 an hour for graphic design is pretty lame, although it's not like I'm doing 3-d graphic design, I know that graphic designers usually pull in 30 - 50k.  I also have my Access Developement Expert certificate, and database design also isn't cheap, some of the extensive excel work I've had to do for them in the past year and a half would have been rather expensive as well if they would have had to hire outside the company to have it custom designed.

I would probably have better luck going solo on some of this stuff now that I have a lot of proposal design experience and know some of the competitor rates in my area... hrm, it's just a possibility I guess :wink:

- Silven :mushroom2:

--------------------
What do you bring to the table?

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
    #3221985 - 10/06/04 09:29 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

You ask for a raise, your boss says ok, then gives you more responsibility, I'd say management sees a lot of potiential and right now is kinda their own little trial period. 

As kid said, just keep doing good, in no time, you will have the full $2 raise, and probably much more.

Good job man. :thumbup:

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Jump to top Pages: 1