Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinephishytrip
Gillious Supreme
Male User Gallery

Loc: AZ, USA
Im going to see a psychiatrist....opinions please?
    #3821430 - 02/23/05 09:20 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Ive been really considering going to see a psychiatrist lately because of the way ive been feeling. Im also considering going on drugs. I have been, for the longest time, against these guys and the drugs because I think you should be able to cope with yourself and figure shit out on your own. But, lately ive been having these awful feelings about twice a day that I think are panic attacks (?). Ive been in 2 serious car accidents that were very life threatening, and i dont know if anyone has been in a serious condition before were you feel like your trapped, cant move, like your about to die. One of the last car accidents took half my wrist off and I cant use my hand anymore. But i keep feeling that feeling of death, Ill lose my breath, Ill get dizzy and it feels like my heart sinks into my stomach. So these feelings, I dont know what they are, but theyve been getting worse and they are starting to piss me off.....so may I have your opinions about my situation? Thanks.

--------------------
Eram quod es; eris quod sum

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: Im going to see a psychiatrist....opinions please? [Re: phishytrip]
    #3821448 - 02/23/05 09:24 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

My opinion is to see a therapist before going to a psychiatrist. A psychiatrist is there for one thing only...to drug you up. They don't help you try to learn to deal with your problems. Do you want your panicky feelings to maybe get resolved or do you want to just hide them behind a veil of medication?

By all means, if your quality of life is that bad you should get on meds. BUT, I'm saying talk to a therapist first. Or maybe even combine psycho-therapy with meds for optimum results.

All the psychiatrists I've seen were absolute fuckers, interested in one and one thing only: making the drug sale.

I have however, seen many good therapists who are sincere and genunine about their desire to help their fellow man.

The choice is yours, but I would go for therapy before turning to medication. Or at least do both.

Invisiblemoog
Stranger

#3821451 - 02/23/05 09:25 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

sounds like you have post-traumatic stress from the last accident?

If it's for PTSD I'd see a doctor, but if it's depression I would avoid the doc.

Offlinephishytrip
Gillious Supreme
Male User Gallery

Re: Im going to see a psychiatrist....opinions please? [Re: MOTH]
    #3821468 - 02/23/05 09:29 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I was thinking about combining the both, therapy and medication. Its just these fellings I get are seriously awful. And I guess with everything out nowadays, I dont have to deal with them

--------------------

Offlinephishytrip
Gillious Supreme
Male User Gallery

Re: Im going to see a psychiatrist....opinions please? [Re: moog]
    #3821478 - 02/23/05 09:31 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Its not really depression, although I think everyone is depressed by something in thier life. I think It might be PTSD, but the feeling only last a couple of minutes and comes once or twice a day.

--------------------

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Re: Im going to see a psychiatrist....opinions please? [Re: moog]
    #3821479 - 02/23/05 09:32 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Phishy, I've been going to a psychotherapist for a while which I think is much more healthy than going to a psychiatrist simply because the general trend in psychiatry these days is to prescribe prescribe prescribe. What you want to do is test the waters and find a therapist who gets you talking and to take a mind-over-matter approach to the situation, unless you feel like you seriously need medication.

I started seeing my therapist because of severe writer's block but over the past two years it has evolved into just a sort of rhythmic thing. It's nice to have a room you feel comfortable with where you can go and talk to someone same time every week, someone who you feel isn't judging you and is truly interested in hearing you talk yourself through things but also who talks to you. I don't have one of those therapists who sits there with a pad - that's unnecessary, in my mind. We talk about everything from films to books to my father to my girlfriend to LSD to marijuana and CONVERSE, and that's what you need. A lot of people will say "your psychiatrist shouldn't be your friend." Well, bullshit. He needs to have a certain objective distance from you, yes, but he needs to be your friend to a certain extent too.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Offlinephishytrip
Gillious Supreme
Male User Gallery

Re: Im going to see a psychiatrist....opinions please? [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #3821498 - 02/23/05 09:38 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Im a very social, out-going and open person. If im havintg a shitty day, my friends know about it. I talk alot about my problems with everybody but these feelings are getting stronger. i think I like booze so much is because my thoughts become a freeway even more so than they already are. i hate the fact of going on meds, but im really considering it.

--------------------

Offlinetheorganicdomino
Psychedelic ZenBuddhist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Here & Now
    #3821504 - 02/23/05 09:40 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

At least go to a doctors to get an opinion - sounds like you've had it bad, and (as the song says) that ain't good.

My unprofessional opinion is that you have post traumatic stress - try to find if there is any specific thing which triggers these bad feelings. Try to have a pattern of counteractive measures to combat these feelings, some relaxation exercises, or yoga/meditation breathing techniques are excellent for combatting panic attacks.

I used to suffer very badly from panic attacks, personally I found the natural methods of control much better in the long run than pharmaceutical - but don't rule that out - different people need different solutions

Speak to close friends and family about the problem.

Be proactive, sounds like you really want to tackle this - so you're halfway there already!

--------------------
"You've got to get hold of the thread of marching time, pull the fuck thing down, get on the end of it and pang yourself to the infinitude of absolute mind"
Ken Campbell - Furtive Nudist

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced" - Aart van der Leeuw

Offlineagr8fulchick
Feed Your Head!

Loc: Stranded in Iowa
    #3821507 - 02/23/05 09:40 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I'm so sorry to hear about your hand! That sucks alot :frown: I ran my left arm through a chop saw in highschool, and it took over two years of physical therapy to get me up and running again, not to mention a lot of pain and 5 operations. If you think that your flashback-type shocks are related to that, I'd talk to your medical doctor and see what he/she recommends you do. My doc happens to be very good, and they are smart people who know alot of other people in medical fields. If it's a medical thing, they can get you some good drugs for it, and then you won't have to spend all the extra money on quacks.

I personally think that post-traumatic shock flashbacks are something that you do need to work out on your own (drugs won't help unless you actually have a chemical imbalance, they'll just mess you up more and make you feel weaker). You need lots of support from family and friends and the assurance that everything is going to be ok (because it is).  :smile: :heart: :smile: :heart: :smile:

On that note, I've been to a few shrinks myself (I was in perfect mental healthy, my parents just freaked out) and all of them were crap except for a Christian councelor. Now, I'm not saying that you have to be a Christian to go to one, but he was the only one genuinely interested in working with me and not giving me drugs, and he didn't even stress or mention Christian philosophies. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk about anything, we all go through hard times :smile:

I'd recommend taking lots of vitamins E and C also, they help with scarring :smile:

:goodluck:

--------------------
Life's a journey. Take the scenic route.

:sun: :heart: :heart: :sun:

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Im going to see a psychiatrist....opinions please? [Re: agr8fulchick]
    #3821516 - 02/23/05 09:42 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

My best therapist ever was a Methodist paster. I LOVED that man. He was so patient and considerate and always made me feel valued when we talked.

Unfortunately, he moved to another town so I had to stop seeing him.

But he was really fantastic. I miss him actually.

Offlinephishytrip
Gillious Supreme
Male User Gallery

Re: Im going to see a psychiatrist....opinions please? [Re: agr8fulchick]
    #3821547 - 02/23/05 09:51 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

thanks for the advice everyone, i appreciate it. Im off to another class....later!

--------------------

Offlinebelowground
    #3821642 - 02/23/05 10:18 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

my ex had frequent panic attacks due to PTSD. i'll tell you what we figured out worked for her.

meditation.

yes, i know it may sound like a nonchalant homeopathic answer, but give it a shot. she would go somewhere, preferably outside with a fresh breeze, and concentrate on breathing regularly, in deep breaths. remember that no matter what it feels like, you ARE in fact getting enough oxygen. remember that the key factor in defeating a panic attack is, of course, being relaxed for a period of time. not simply forcing yourself to "control" it.

don't medicate yourself. therapy is one thing, but medication is something of an "easy way out" with a situation like this. give it a shot, hope it works for ya.

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #3821671 - 02/23/05 10:29 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

EllemyshShade said:
My opinion is to see a therapist before going to a psychiatrist.  A psychiatrist is there for one thing only...to drug you up.  They don't help you try to learn to deal with your problems.  Do you want your panicky feelings to maybe get resolved or do you want to just hide them behind a veil of medication?

By all means, if your quality of life is that bad you should get on meds.  BUT, I'm saying talk to a therapist first.  Or maybe even combine psycho-therapy with meds for optimum results. 

All the psychiatrists I've seen were absolute fuckers, interested in one and one thing only: making the drug sale. 

I have however, seen many good therapists who are sincere and genunine about their desire to help their fellow man. 

The choice is yours, but I would go for therapy before turning to medication.  Or at least do both.

I couldnt have said it better myself.

Your daily attacks sounds like anxiety attacks. They can manifest themself in MANY ways. I have had them in the past. Meditation helped me most(and smoking pot :wink: ) The PTSD sounds right also. My wife has PTSD, drugs wont help with that only therapy.

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

#3821927 - 02/23/05 11:32 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

EllemyshShade said:
My opinion is to see a therapist before going to a psychiatrist. A psychiatrist is there for one thing only...to drug you up. They don't help you try to learn to deal with your problems.

That is, in most cases, untrue. I've run into my fair share of psychatrists, (given that I'm so sane that I'm actually insane) and there can be a world of difference from one guy to the next. Some psychatrists are medication pushers, but any psychatrist who "gets it" knows that medication is just one of the approaches to psychological wellness.

Psychatrists are the same thing as a therapist except that they also have a medical degree which allows them to treat psychological problems with medication. Most will have some form of psychotherapy combined with medication management. Often times they're put into the situation of managing only a person's medication simply because there is such a high demand and low number of people to be able to do that.

But I think the important thing is whether they actually have empathy combined with an understanding of how to help someone look deeper into themselves. I personally think therapy can be an incredibally healing experience for anyone. A lot depends on the person giving the treatment (and the person getting the treatment as well).

BTW, the idea that people should solve their problems on their own is actually the role a psychologist/psychatrist plays to allow people to figure things out for themselves. I'd highly recommend seeing someone Phishytrip, because from the symptoms you're describing, it sounds like working with someone you trust would be very helpful.

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Im going to see a psychiatrist....opinions please? [Re: Twirling]
    #3821958 - 02/23/05 11:39 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Twirling said:
Quote:

EllemyshShade said:
My opinion is to see a therapist before going to a psychiatrist. A psychiatrist is there for one thing only...to drug you up. They don't help you try to learn to deal with your problems.

That is, in most cases, untrue.

It was true in the DFW area. And in my experience. Obviously not every single psychiatrist will be like that but every one (and I've had several) that I've run into was indeed all about the drugs.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#3821979 - 02/23/05 11:44 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Of course, that might've just been the paranoia I was going in there for treatment for. :wink:

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

#3822046 - 02/23/05 12:00 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm sure your experince was valid. I've run into quite a few myself. I just wanted to clarify that many psychatrists also do the therapy thing as well.

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Im going to see a psychiatrist....opinions please? [Re: Twirling]
    #3822094 - 02/23/05 12:15 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

That MAY be true, but I agree with EllemyshShade. I have been to several and EVERYONE of them was pushing another DRUG in my face. I have tried MANY different combinations of Rx. I finnaly quit all the Rx(the side effects can be HELL) and now I just smoke pot and am doing MUCH better. My therapist helped me MUCH more than the Rx.

Meditation is a WONDERFULL tool to help keep your mind(and body) in balance.

Most mental issues are emotional not chemical. If you have some kind of chemical imbalance, a drug may be helpfull. If its emotional then a therapist is the answer.

Basically....go to the therapist FIRST. If he/she thinks you may have a chemical imbalance they can reccomend a psychiatrist.

--------------------
Live for the moment you are in now
Don't be bogged down by your past
Don't be afraid of what lies in your future

Jump to top Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom