Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDigitalDuality
enthusiast

Wal-Mart Fight Pits Unions Against Value Lovers
    #3173265 - 09/24/04 02:25 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

LOS ANGELES ? Wal-Mart (search) has the lowest prices in town and is loved by those who shop there but seemingly hated by everyone else, particularly grocery unions (search) who think the chain will trample their business.

Wal-Mart plans to open 40 supercenters in California and 240 stores nationwide. Meanwhile, a coalition of unions, anti-sprawl and living-wage activists formed a 527 political action committee and share a blueprint to challenge Wal-Mart's hope to expand in other communities.

"Superstores have been trying to sell us the story they're good for the community. We're here to tell you, we're not buying it," said Ed Reyes, a Los Angeles city councilman.

Tired of being battered, blistered and beaten up in the California media, Wal-Mart ? a non-union chain ? announced Thursday that it was fighting back. It bought full-page ads in the state's major newspapers to counter critics who claim the stores' low wages and poor health insurance (search) actually costs state taxpayers $86 million a year in medical and welfare (search) payments.

"Our critics say we pay minimum wags with no benefits. That is absolutely not true. We pay competitive wages," said Cynthia Lin of Wal-Mart.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,133382,00.html

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleLe_Canard
I AM NOT A FISH!

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: Wal-Mart Fight Pits Unions Against Value Lovers [Re: DigitalDuality]
    #3173464 - 09/24/04 03:49 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Ha! Competitive wages?? I guess so if you think minimum wage is competitive. I'd like to see the Walmart fat cats live off that!

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Wal-Mart Fight Pits Unions Against Value Lovers [Re: Le_Canard]
    #3174252 - 09/24/04 11:27 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I'm not sure what the company actually pays new people, but minimum wages are payed to entry level non-skilled workers, not everyone at the company gets paid the same. Should a kid just out of high school with no verifiable work experience, no track record of dependability and a sorry ass education from the public school system get paid like someone who's been working at the company for eight years?

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: Wal-Mart Fight Pits Unions Against Value Lovers [Re: DigitalDuality]
    #3174377 - 09/24/04 12:03 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

these guys have been getting shut out in LA.

ban ban ban

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion