Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

Re: Life in a mushroom camp,,,
    #304722 - 05/07/01 08:12 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

All the mushroom pics will be seen on the Gallery page, coming in the next day or so.

Take a trip to the Spore Lab @:
http://www.SporeLab.com
email: getspores@sporelab.com

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineegghead
veteran
Loc: Milky Way
Re: Life in a mushroom camp,,, [Re: ]
    #311329 - 05/07/01 12:50 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Cool. My ID guides have many species, but only one (maybe two) pics of each. I have the Simon & Schuster, Dorling Kindersley and the Stamets Psilocybe guides. Will these do for a trip to a place like this?

Were the pickers working for companies or were they just other mushroom enthusiats? Is the land you harvest from government property? How did you find out about it?

Would this be similar to the "mushroom adventures" that are listed in the back of GGMM? In one of the indices there's a list of travel agencies w/ mushroom hunting oriented vacations.

Looking forward to seeing your harvest pics.

--------------------
Where there's skill, there's a better way..

Anonymous

Re: Life in a mushroom camp,,, [Re: egghead]
    #311936 - 05/07/01 11:30 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

You won't really need the Psilocybe book, aside from maybe a couple of obscure species, you won't find any cubensis or azures or any of those warmer weather and dung loving species up north. What we look here for is primarily one specie: Tricholoma magnivelares, the Pine mushroom or Mastutake. This is the big ticket mushroom. There are also a few other species we pick and they are all easily viewed and identified at the various dealers. Those buyers can id most any mushroom you bring them.

I have been harvesting Pine mushrooms with hundreds of other independent pickers for 10 years around the province. The trip up north was like a pilgrimage to the Holy Land of mushrooms.
The other pickers were mostly experienced foragers, many had just returned from the Yukon where they had been harvesting morels. Some head to other areas of the province depending on weather and other factors, it's amazing what they know...' this lake is popping, this valley is due, we're leaving for a 200 mile trip first thing in the morning..'
Then they follow the 'wave' down the coast, picking there way down until it's Feb in California. Then they drive there huge mobile homes to Mexico for a couple months before heading back to the north to start the cycle over again. It's a nomadic life ;and one thats a hell of an experience!
It's mosty Crown land but now some native bands are charging if you are on their land.

I'll have the Gallery of over 80 species of mushrooms any minute, until then, here is last years trip up north, including a few pics of big Pines!
http://www.sporelab.com/junction.htm

OfflineAzure
old hand
Loc: California, USA
Re: Life in a mushroom camp,,, [Re: ]
    #312856 - 05/09/01 12:44 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Hey Captain,
Just for academic purposes, there's no "s" at the end of magnivelare. Also, Nice pix! Those look like they smell good...like that unique smell you can't describe accurately with words.

Anonymous

Re: Life in a mushroom camp,,, [Re: Azure]
    #313623 - 05/09/01 11:35 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I think your right but check this out, in the Audobon Society Pocket Guide to familiar Mushrooms, 1st printing 1990, in the index, they have it spelled with an 'S'! I think I doubled checked my spelling using this book and copied their error!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom