Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Money Matters

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Toothpaste

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
thinking of doing the unthinkable - need advice
    #3129592 - 09/13/04 03:05 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

It's something I promised myself I would never do. It's something I am totally against, however every day its looking like a better option.

Joining the military.
the main reason I never joined when I turned 18 was (I rationalized with myself) because I didn't want to cut my hair. I still don't want to cut my hair. That may be a petty reason but hey.. I love my long hair.
There are other more important reasons thought, such as my stance towards the military.

But I am struggling to make ends meet. er.. have been for a while now. I've been living on my own since I was 16, work full time to afford the basic necessities of rent and utilities and whatever food I can get, which is little. Currently I am in debt up to my eyeballs, have no car insurance (I drive everyday) and I don't realistically see how I am going to make it through the next couple of years, let alone months, financially. My teeth are slowly breaking, as I am long overdue for having the wisdom teeth removed (about 2 years) because I can't even come close to affording dental insurance. The landlord is selling the house here in a month and I have nowhere to go. Frankly, I don't care if I live in a tent in the woods, as long as I still have my band and music. At least that way I would save a lot of money in rent.

Which is the other issue, I've been in a band for 7 years and we still haven't recorded our first album. Well we are looking at a studio next week, that I hope we will be able to pull the money out of our ass somehow, but really.. music is the only thing I really care about.. I'll buy bass strings before I buy toothpaste or toilet paper.

So I don't have the time or money to go to college. I couldn't afford it even if I was still working full time, and if I was working full time, I wouldn't be in school.. get it?

I was thinking about maybe signing up for a computer technology training course, as that is something I am interested in, can do it at night after work, and getting certified would help me get a good job.. there are tons of IT jobs around here. But that also costs money which I don't have.

So I'm down to what I *think* is my last option to gaining financial security.. joining the military. It's free, free training, free skills, sign-on bonus, financial security, etc. I know I would be good at it.. but I just can't talk myself into it.

Is there another way? Must I shave my head and become one of THEM. I've always hated them, being surrounded by them everyday, but now it seems like the only way. It doesn't help that I live in the richest part of Northern Va outside DC, surrounded by people who are financially secure, usually because they are in some branch of military or government. I wish this was the 30s, then I would just get into organized crime. But I'm thinking about joining the fucking government/military/indutrial complex, and the only reason is for the money.. and that sickens me, just a little bit. would someone please slap some sense into me? What's a better way to make lots of money in your spare time? Something.. anything, and no, I can't sell drugs. But I am thinking about robbing banks.

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
Re: thinking of doing the unthinkable - need advice [Re: Shroomism] * 1
    #3129660 - 09/13/04 03:18 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

my advice is dont do it

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

OfflineCaRnAgECaNdYS
Tool's groupie
Female User Gallery

Loc: Billy Howerdel's closet Flag
Re: thinking of doing the unthinkable - need advice [Re: Shroomism]
    #3129681 - 09/13/04 03:22 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Long hair is hot!

A man who has direction in life is hotter. I think this would be a great opportunity for you!! It will definitely lead you to bigger and better things! My opinion....go for it! :thumbup:

--------------------

The secret to being funny is to say smart things stupidly, or is it stupid things smartly? Whatever..it's not rocket surgery...or something like that.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: thinking of doing the unthinkable - need advice [Re: barfightlard]
    #3129684 - 09/13/04 03:23 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Well that's solid advice for sure..
But what would you suggest for someone who works 45+ hours a week and still only has enough to barely scrape by.. in a place where barely scraping by doesn't cut it. One step forward... three steps back kind of thing.

I would move, but I have attachments here.

--------------------

Offlinelovingwench
green horn

Loc: off the dusty road
    #3129688 - 09/13/04 03:24 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Dude you do not want to do this. I recently have a friend that just graduated out of college this past spring. His study was journalism. He was having a tuff time finding any type of work, so he ups and joins the National Reserve. I don't know if maybe he was thinking this was a good way to get his foot in to the journalism field or what. I was totaly shock. This was so out of charcter for him. He's always been very active hiking, camping that sort of thing so I think maybe he thought he could handle it. Now some 3,4 months later he is finding every which way he can to get discharged. He's already went on medical leave for a bad ankle, however he had to go back. So now I think his next plan is to start crapping and peeing himself, so he looks like he's had a nervous break down. I personally don't think it is the physical aspect but the mental that he is having a hard time excepting. They try to take every part of you that is an individual and turn you in to a sheep. Don't be a sheep!

Don't let "them" fool ya into thinking it is a mean to an end of hard ship or what ever. They may make you some great promises but when it comes down to it they won't deliver. Instead of college money you will end up with some kind of health problem because of the stuff they pump into you and expose you to. Just go out and talk to some vets, Vietnam, Desert Storm, or vets that are coming back now. Do a little more research to. Not just going to goverment sites, because of course they our going to make it sound good.
Good luck with you decision. I hope you find the right path.

--------------------

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
    #3129690 - 09/13/04 03:24 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

have no car insurance (I drive everyday)

The best advice I can give you now is you stop driving or get yourself car insurance. If something happens you could be in dept for the rest of your life and that's something you don't want...

I hope you figure things out soon and get back on track. *me beams good karma your way*

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
    #3129705 - 09/13/04 03:27 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Damn Aquarius. Heh, I'm in a similar situation, maybe a year or 2 behind ya, but I am tryin to stay one step ahead of "reality"... I'm in Ohio right now, having successfully started a travel circuit that's not complete yet.. On to NC, GA, and SC within the next 2 weeks.

How do I fund it, you ask? Well, by any means possible. I got a job in Indiana for a few months and saved up a little bit, but I gotta admit I wouldn't be able to do this if it wasn't for friends and family. For instance I'm stranded right now and asked my grandparents to wire me enough money to make it back to FL.

So... this isn't going to last forever for me. I need to figure this money thing out. Am I destined for temporary jobs and temporary homes for the rest of my life? I guess it's either that or go to school for something. I havn't even gotten my GED yet, heh. Dropped out of HS a few years ago.

But I know, above all, that I will NOT join the "armed forces". FUCK THOSE ASSHOLES! !@#)!@)!@_#!#$Y!

But if you MUST, I hope you can survive intact, Shroomism. Cuz I have a feeling that from the moment you go in, you will be surrounded by the most judgemental, closed-minded, robotic buncha fucks that this country could find.

That's my advice anyway. Uh, wait I didn't give any.... Hmm, I would advise like a technical school or just get a temp job and take off to where no one can find you, get your band and go to the woods and hold nocturnal metal raves.. you may have to go to Canada for this.

Good luck brother. Hey I'll be heading south soon, like in a few days, from Columbus OH to Charlotte NC. If you are in between those 2 locations, let me know.

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

Anonymous

#3129710 - 09/13/04 03:27 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

dont join the reserves, army, or marines

thats my advice

im joining the coast guard.

OfflineBarbi
Plastic Person

#3129712 - 09/13/04 03:28 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
Well that's solid advice for sure..
But what would you suggest for someone who works 45+ hours a week and still only has enough to barely scrape by.. in a place where barely scraping by doesn't cut it. One step forward... three steps back kind of thing.

I would move, but I have attachments here.

You should move somewhere cheaper to exist. Get out of the big clusterfuck cities.

If you join the military, you are moving anyways :P

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
    #3129713 - 09/13/04 03:28 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

You can't find any lower rent housing in your town? Maybe move to a smaller town right close. I wouldn't join the military unless I was absolutely fucked and would be living on the streets. Things will work out for ya.

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

#3129717 - 09/13/04 03:28 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

i hate the american system

--------------------

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #3129720 - 09/13/04 03:29 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

i dont know how much money u need to make....i mean can u find a roomate?? i was existing fairly comfortably makiing $9 an hour 40hrs a week working 3rd shift at a hotel...it was easy money, plus i could do school work while at work....apply at local hotels  :confused: or even better i was making $10 an hour as a car porter at a dealership. as long as u can drive stick, its usually an ez job to get

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
    #3129728 - 09/13/04 03:31 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

i came as close as you can come to joining the navy out of high school. i didn't because of my conscience. i was going to be programming trajectories for nuclear missiles from a sub. i am ever so glad that i decided not to go. my reasons were the same as your altho i hadn't weathered life yet.

i understand your dilemma but keep this in mind; this is a VERY bad time to be joining the military... altho, those who serve active duty get the best benfits and shit when they get out.

Anonymous

Re: thinking of doing the unthinkable - need advice [Re: debianlinux]
    #3129748 - 09/13/04 03:34 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

bad times indeed
thats why i wouldnt join the reserves, army, air force, or marines..

and id still think about not going in the navy because of it..

so i went with the coast guard

coast gaurd actually saves lives..

and fights the evil war on drugs!  :evil:

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: thinking of doing the unthinkable - need advice [Re: lovingwench]
    #3129752 - 09/13/04 03:35 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Believe me.. you don't have to tell me horror stories, I've heard enough.. having many friends in military families and my mom marrying into one, I'm the last person you would have to talk out of joining the military, which is why the fact that I'm thinking about it scares me. I live two miles from the CIA HQ, 7 miles from DC, 25 miles from Quantico.. believe me, I know the fucked up shit that goes on. I know about the vaccines and all the nasty evil underhanded shit they do. But as far as them making promises and not delivering.. I dont see that.. everyone I know who is in the military is pretty well off, they get paid well and dont stress over money all the time.

That's why its such a mind fuck for me. I disagree with the miltary, I do not read government propoganda, I have SEVERE problems with authority and people bossing me around, and I have even bigger problems with bullies who like to interfere with human free will. So now that I think about it more, it's probably a bad idea, as I would probably get discharged during boot camp when I try to knock out a drill instructor or something. Or I could fake conform and gain a high rank so that I could infiltrate the system and rip it apart from the inside, but they'd probably have me killed way before then.

--------------------

InvisibleLoosifa
none
 User Gallery

Loc: England (South) Flag
    #3129760 - 09/13/04 03:36 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I don't think you'll be happy there.  What about the Fire Dept. or paramedic, or Peace Corps, or Medecins Sans Frontieres.  Noble professions, and I'm sure a couple of them pay well.
Happiness is more important than money.
Actually, are you sure you want to take advice from someone who works at McDonalds??!!  Maybe I best be very quiet..... :blush:

--------------------
LURK

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
    #3129761 - 09/13/04 03:36 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I read some good things here that might help shroomism :thumbup:

If you really don't want to go to the army try to find another option as hard as you can! I you join you will regret it probably and be worse off than you are now.

moving to a cheaper place and the rest KingofTheThing and bellylard said sounds good to me, lot better than joining the army. But maybe this isn't possible for you, I don't know your exact situation...

OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
    #3129779 - 09/13/04 03:39 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

>So I don't have the time or money to go to college. I couldn't afford it even if I was still working full time
-This is a big mistake. You can always win scholarships and take out student loans, I know it seems a little dicey, but as soon as your out of collage you can land a better job...

Either that, or quit your band and get a second job... which is something you'll have to do anyway if you get stationed offshore. You should also look into the controversy, apparently the army can extend how long you serve indefinantly.

Anonymous

Re: thinking of doing the unthinkable - need advice [Re: TheShroomHermit]
    #3129815 - 09/13/04 03:44 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

no the army cannot just extend how long you serve..

you sign up for how many years you want to and sometimes you may have to reenlist or lengthen your contract.. but only if YOU want to..

i am prolly gonna have to extend my coast guard contract as soon as i get out of A school because you have to have a minimum number of years in for each job..

but even after youve gotten out of the military they can call you back in if they need you in times of war.. depending on how long youve been out.. i think after like 6 years or something they cant call you back
theyve been doing this a lot recently.. theres guys who are like 50 years old or so getting called back

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Re: thinking of doing the unthinkable - need advice [Re: ]
    #3129828 - 09/13/04 03:46 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Actually I think they CAN extend it indefinately. :wink:

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Toothpaste

General Interest >> Money Matters