Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Calling all computer nerds HELP me!!!!!
    #3118622 -

I got a new 80gig hard drive and its fuckin up. In the BIOS it can see that its 80gigs, but when i go to make a partition it is saying its only 12 gig. I have the evrything connected right and the pins are set at master. So, I made a partioton anyways with it at 12gig and in DOS it wouldnt read the c: drive when i tried to format it. This is fucked, i need some help.


--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Calling all computer nerds HELP me!!!!! [Re: barfightlard]
    #3119064 -

maybe upgrade the bios


--------------------
--------------------
We're the lowest of the low, the scum of the fucking earth!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Calling all computer nerds HELP me!!!!! [Re: barfightlard]
    #3119083 -

your bios may need to be flashed....when i installed my 250 gig HD it came with software that allowed me to work around that though


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Calling all computer nerds HELP me!!!!! [Re: Geordi_La_Forge]
    #3119371 -

I think you have old version fdisk, and format. Try Windows XP installer to make partitions and format them. Or try new version of fdisk and format. I don't think you have to flash your BIOS.

Edit: I found this, updated fdisk should be here
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;263044

Edited by Glimmung (09/10/04 04:31 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Calling all computer nerds HELP me!!!!! [Re: Scarfmeister]
    #3121045 -

thanks

I got it working, but the computer started fucking up even more than it already was. I thought the HD was the proble, thats why I got the 80gig instead. All the installers were running really slow, internet was fucking up, and problems with the USB controller. So I was gunna format it again but fdisk wouldnt read all of it still, so i tried to install xp from the cd like i did the first time and it gives me some error now too.

Do you think the motherboard is fucked???


--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
. [Re: barfightlard]
    #3121355 -

.

Edited by Yrtlzmo (02/04/13 09:31 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Calling all computer nerds HELP me!!!!! [Re: barfightlard]
    #3121689 -

Could be a few things:

Situation A.  Add a new HD to your system and you are putting more stress on your power supply.  Things can "go wrong" when it is stretch to its limits.  Things like IDE controller issues, random reboots, etc. 

Situation B.  If you originally came up as 12 gigs it sounds like you have an older motherboard.  Earlier motherboards had some size limitations on hd's (usually it was 8 gigs but thats not necessarily concrete).  Upgrading the bios might have helped but of course its not necessarily going to fix it completely.  Essentially your IDE controller hates your new drive.

Situation C.  If things are running slowly it may be that the drive is incorrectly formatted.  Some tools will absolutely stuff up your hd (I had a western digital drive that formatted to 100% bad sectors).  I would format it in windows (not the best but atleast it does an ok job.

This could very well be a mixture of all of them.  I would suggest you test it this way.

- Borrow a better power supply (I don't know whether thats feasable) and see how it runs.
- Put the old drive back and test things out, see if the problems go away.

If these two do not do anything then I would say you motherboard does not like controlling this new drive.  Then you have a decision to make :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Calling all computer nerds HELP me!!!!! [Re: utopianglory]
    #3122389 -

Nothing wrong with the power supply, its a new 480W. The old HD runs a bit faster, but the internet still wont connect sometimes and the computer just shits itself out of nowhere and runs really slow. The motherboard is about a 4 year old IBM with an intel chipset and everythign is on-board.


--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
. [Re: barfightlard]
    #3123961 -

.

Edited by Yrtlzmo (02/04/13 09:31 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Calling all computer nerds HELP me!!!!! [Re: Yrtlzmo]
    #3126925 -

bump.....btw the system uses a P4 and DDR


--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Calling all computer nerds HELP me!!!!! [Re: barfightlard]
    #3127037 -

Clean the system out good...if it's that old it could be jammed full of dust and just overheating. When I had heat problems it fucked up my intarweb.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Calling all computer nerds HELP me!!!!! [Re: kronnyQ]
    #3127047 -

It came out of the box 2-3 years ago. And was just put in a new case, so it's clean.


--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* HELP! Music geeks/computer nerds! You pwn me. GnuBobo 1,278 14 10/27/04 04:05 AM
by GnuBobo
* Computers.. xXScYtHeXx 896 9 06/12/04 05:07 PM
by xXScYtHeXx
* Computer Problems
( 1 2 all )
Mushie_Man 2,559 20 12/22/04 07:26 PM
by BitterPill
* Sometimes I fight with my computer. Little Shroom 2,411 17 07/24/03 03:45 PM
by oDin
* Your first computer
( 1 2 3 all )
HagbardCeline 3,530 41 01/11/04 04:00 PM
by justsmurfy
* Computer Problems (Hard Drive Fault) Mushie_Man 741 4 12/16/04 12:51 PM
by Vvellum
* Hey nerds...I need your help! CherryBomM 465 4 10/05/04 09:41 AM
by baraka
* question about the F.B.I and computers
( 1 2 all )
Fucknuckle 2,943 31 08/12/04 11:24 PM
by Fucknuckle

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
1,348 topic views. 9 members, 17 guests and 99 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.027 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 14 queries.