Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Perlite, pH Test Strips, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinesoShroomHungry
Stranger

help! ROOT ROT ON PEDRO!!!
    #3107705 - 09/08/04 01:05 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

i've recently planted some pedro cuttings, and one in particular has gotten real bad root rot *its nearly black on the cutting location* but theres a phat taproot that has sprouted, so its alive...the top is yellowish, maybe sunburned? it's bright in socal...i only water maybe once a week if that so why am i getting rot?? are there any methods to help cure rootrot? thanx!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMaverik
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: West
Re: help! ROOT ROT ON PEDRO!!! [Re: soShroomHungry]
    #3107723 - 09/08/04 01:13 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Are you sure it's rot? Is it soft? Rot isn't really caused by too much water, but rather lack of air so I suppose it's possible if the soil isn't very porous. Also check your soil pH. Acidic soil encourages rot. You want your soil pH to be 7.5-8.5 If the tissue is soft and mushy then you need to cut all the damaged tissue away.

--------------------
~ Dead to the Core ~

OfflinesoShroomHungry
Stranger

Re: help! ROOT ROT ON PEDRO!!! [Re: Maverik]
    #3109861 - 09/08/04 09:12 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

yeah its kinda mushy...although maybe its just scabbing up...i used "supersoil" and some play sand on a 5/1 ratio, a "cactusguy " told me this was the best mix, rather than the actual cactus soil *boggles me* he said cactus mix burns it , too many chemicals...maybe i need some perlite or vermiculite??so do i cut off the rotted part, but leave the taproot? *it took so long to grow!* and i've got some "superthrive" and some "dip ' n' grow" ...do i just soak the cutting in this root hormone and plant it directly or what? there going outside at a friends house so using pots is pretty much out of the picture, there gonna stay where they go...thanks for the patience its greatly helping me!!!

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
Re: help! ROOT ROT ON PEDRO!!! [Re: soShroomHungry]
    #3109917 - 09/08/04 09:22 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

pull it out, let things dry up good and see if that black mush hardens up.

If it doesn't, go to where the black mush turns back to green, then go a little further up and cut that all off with a good clean knife. Don't replant int he same soil, perhaps microwave your soil 1 minute for each cup of soil you have. Allow your cactus to callus up, and replant it.

edit: oh yeah, you want some perlite in there, like maverick said, anaerobic conditions facilitate more rotting.

Edited by neuro (09/08/04 09:24 PM)

OfflineMaverik
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: West
Re: help! ROOT ROT ON PEDRO!!! [Re: neuro]
    #3112870 - 09/09/04 11:56 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Neuro is right pull it out, let it dry, etc. I'm not sure what all you have to work with as far as soil ingredients but it sounds like you could use a looser mix. If you are in SoCal your mix should be dry in 2-3 days. If you just have the sand and soil mix em at maybe a 1:1 ratio. If you can add perlite or something else that gives the soil more texture even better. I'm currently using 1 part topsoil, 1 part compost, 1 part 3/16" screened limestone chips and .5 part sand and about a teaspoon of powdered dolomite lime for each pot. The lime gives the cacti lots of Ca. and Mg. which they need and basifies the soil a bit. Don't worry about superthrive or root hormones, I haven't noticed that they help rooting at all.

--------------------
~ Dead to the Core ~

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Perlite, pH Test Strips, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden