Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

Loc: Aotearoa
Possible prevention of cacti winter root rot
    #4509661 - 08/08/05 04:40 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Hey peoples

I was just chillin in my back yard with a spliff earlier, and looking at my cacti. Right now it is the middle of winter here in the South Island of New Zealand, with temperatures between -8 and +10 celcius, and relatively frequent damp spells. Yet my cacti have never suffered root rot or any other 'dampness during dormancy' kind of problems.

Now maybe I have just been lucky, but in my stoned state while looking at the cacti I realised that I have semi-intentionally been letting small weeds grow in the cactus pots during their dormant times.

Usually when the cacti are actively growing I regularly weed out the plants that inevitably pop up in their pots. But I was thinking that if you let them grow there in winter, I'm talking just small weeds, don't let em get TOO big, that they may absorb the surplus water in the pots thereby preventing root rot.

Now like I said I may have just been lucky to not get root rot but as far as I can tell letting a few small weeds grow with a cactus while its dormant doesn't seem to cause it any harm at least. And might even help it out!

PS anyone had mushrooms growing from their cactus pots before? Last year I had repotted one of my cacti with a soil mix from a local native plants nursery. During the winter time some very funky little shrooms grew out of it, I think they might have been native NZ ones though I didn't ID them 100%. And a friend of mine who had quite a woody soil mix had a couple of subaeruginosa grow out of his cactus pot in autum, kind of like MJ's pic the other day. Anyway that was just a little anecdote for the sake of having a ramble.

Good day sirs and madams!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTrunkspace
Televangelist

Re: Possible prevention of cacti winter root rot [Re: zee_werp]
    #4510700 - 08/08/05 02:18 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I might try that next winter, sounds very interesting. My Pedro started to rot last winter, but it seems to have recovered.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract