Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

Loc: Aotearoa
Your Symbol
    #3086893 - 09/03/04 10:35 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I am interested in how we as humans use various symbols to represent different ideas / systems / beleifs, etc. I thought it would be cool to have a post where you can say what your 'favourite' symbol is, and what it means to you. By 'favourite' I mean anything from something you find asthetically attractive, to one that 'sums it all up' for you, or it can just be one that you particularly identify with for whatever reason. It can be any symbol, whether it is a commonly used one or if you designed it yourself, thats fine. It would be extra cool if people could post a pic of the particular symbol they are talking about.

Allright, I'll start the ball rolling. I know this may seem like an ultra cliche choice, my favourite symbol is, without a doubt, the yin-yang.

This symbol is something that has grown on me. It seems like every day, it grows more and more significant. To me, it represents contrast and duality, which can occur on many different levels. Fundamentally, it represents the two simplest aspects of reality - infinity and nothing - which I see as unified into one within the yin-yang. I beleive that it is these two fundamental properties (infinity and nothing) which are giving rise to the reality we are experiencing now. We are the interference pattern of these properties interacting. Everything contains both properties and neither of the properties can exist without each other as a point of reference, a contrast to allow perception.

To get a better grip of my 'interference pattern' theory, think of a fractal image. Incase you don't know what a fractal is, here is a part of one of the better known ones, the mandelbrot set.

A fractal image is literally of infinite complexity - you can zoom in on it forever and still not reach 'the end'. The way that they tie in with the yin-yang is the way in which they are created. A fractal is made from a simple mathematical formula, in the case of the mandelbrot set it's . The arrows on the = sign means that it goes both ways. Anyway, basically each part of the image is a point which has a number, and when the formula is applied to the point multiple times, it will always either shoot up to infinity, or shoot down to zero. The black areas of the fractal is where its gone to zero, and the coloured areas are where it goes to infinity. The colours of a fractal are arbitrarily assigned, and they represent the speed at which the equation goes to infinity (how many times the equation has to be applied before it maxes out).

So basically a fractal just goes to show that the yin-yang isn't all 'black and white' but can infact allow for infinite complexity. Another thing to think about is digital code - the battle of the 1's and the 0's.

Basically to me the yin-yang just sums it all up. Whenever I get into a deep trance state or major philosophical thought track, it always seems to come back to the yin-yang. However I haven't decided yet if this is 'it', or if there is an additional force in there somewhere, which caused the interference pattern to emerge in the first place rather than infinity and nothing simply 'being' in one pure eternal moment (which could actually be happening as well as this, or we could be headed back that way).

OK so I guess you can tell I like the yin-yang a lot and I can talk about it for hours so I should probably stop here for now...I just recently also designed a 'supersymbol' which is a combination of several symbols that I might post sometime soon.

Oh and if you didn't understand what I was on about with the yin-yang, maybe try having a strong dose of your chosen psychedelic substance, and then have a hit of nitrous while you're peaking :wink:

And if you want to check out some more images of the mandelbrot set, check out these two links:
http://www.jimloy.com/fractals/mandel0.htm
http://www.few.vu.nl/~feenstra/mandel_gallery.html

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Your Symbol [Re: zee_werp]
    #3086912 - 09/03/04 10:39 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

OfflineSource
Remainder of anUnbalancedEquation
Male

Loc: Outer Darkness
    #3086940 - 09/03/04 10:49 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I'm drawn to simplicity and non-categorization. My symbol would have to be a circle. Looking for something to put around my neck as a necklace, the only thing I could think of that would 'represent' me was a metalic disc with nothing engraved on it. I like it because it stands for nothing and everything.

I am also fascinated with all that is encoded in the pentagram. Containing phi, fractal-like in it's never ending nesting ability and containing the harmonics of music, it represents the seed blueprint of the universe and life.

--------------------
What you're searching for is what's searching.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Your Symbol [Re: Source]
    #3086944 - 09/03/04 10:51 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Wow... I was trying to describe a symbol that embodies me, and after typing up a large description I notice Source's avatar above. That pertty much sums it up...

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #3087102 - 09/03/04 11:26 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

If I was going to choose a symbol that best represented me and my thoughts on life, it would probably the yin/yang symbol. (Does it have a name??)

It is interesting to see how "opposites attract" seem to be the standard for the universe. Even Stephen Hawking said that things go in pairs, when at the edge of a black hole, the (negative?) member of the pair will jump in, leaving the positive member alone to have to go find another partner. Something like that.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
    #3087140 - 09/03/04 11:34 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Metatron's cube, from which can be derived all the Platonic Solids.

OfflineSource
Male

Re: Your Symbol [Re: DoctorJ]
    #3087255 - 09/03/04 11:58 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Hey DoctorJ,

Did you know that if you combine three golden rectangles (based on phi) so they intersect eachother along the planes of the three dimensions you get the 'skeleton' from which all five platonic solids can be created (in three dimensions!) by drawing strings from corner to corner?

I created a model out of cardboard and string to test it out and it works.

Phi must be hidden in metatron's cube.

Edited by Source (09/03/04 12:02 PM)

OfflineSource
Male

Re: Your Symbol [Re: Seuss]
    #3087266 - 09/03/04 12:00 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------
What you're searching for is what's searching.

InvisibleMellowMood
Dreamin Man
Loc: in the vast
    #3087636 - 09/03/04 01:39 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

:hippie: 2 fingered peace

--------------------
"Im a dreamin man
yes thats my problem
I cant tell when im
not being real"

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Re: Your Symbol [Re: Source]
    #3087908 - 09/03/04 02:44 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Source said:
Hey DoctorJ,

Did you know that if you combine three golden rectangles (based on phi) so they intersect eachother along the planes of the three dimensions you get the 'skeleton' from which all five platonic solids can be created (in three dimensions!) by drawing strings from corner to corner?

I created a model out of cardboard and string to test it out and it works.

Phi must be hidden in metatron's cube.

very interesting. 

more evidence that the flower of life is the source of all form. 

but remember, there is more to the universe than form :wink:

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

#3087949 - 09/03/04 02:53 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Excellent :laugh: I feel you (and I, and many others who reached this same conclusion by themselves) are correct in these beliefs.

The simplest force that categorizes reality into neat constructs is differing oscillating fields forming over-lapping layers which most likely resembles a large infinitely complex fractal. Fractals mimick the Universe and so therefore all is a fractal. Absolutely beautiful imperfect perfect chaotic order.

BTW, my avatar symbol is an old Samurai family crest that I feel represents the concepts of yin/yang and the Unison between mind, body, and spirit spiralling to the source.

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.

Edited by psyka (09/03/04 03:01 PM)

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

Re: Your Symbol [Re: psyka]
    #3087995 - 09/03/04 03:10 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I showed Merkaba these, and I think they get the point across better than words:

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind

Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

#3090491 - 09/04/04 07:00 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Cool stuff so far people :smile:

That Metatron's cube looks interesting, but I don't think I fully grasp its meaning without a bit of further explanation. What are platonic solids, and how are they derived from Metatron's cube?

And psyka, thats a nice avatar symbol, I've seen that around before and noticed its resemblance to the yin-yang, I pondered that version for a while and I think that the addition of the 3rd segment is interesting...so is that symbol meant to be 'held within' the yin-yang, as in those three sections are somehow under the influence of it, or is there more to it than that?

Also your signature pic is an interesting one, reminds me of crop-circle style symbols. Whats up with the multicoloured spiral / rings?

And as for the plant pic, yeah that is sooo great how plants have fractal forms...here in NZ the native bush is filled with some pretty interesting fractal designs, you can especially see it in the shilouette of the treeline, and of course all the crazy ferns etc. Theres a sycamore tree outside my bedroom window and its branches look just like the 'antenna' bits in a mandelbrot set - its groovy!

InvisibleClean
the lense
Male User Gallery

#3090507 - 09/04/04 07:19 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

ferns and sumac are the shit.

for a symbol i choose infinity ...

or perhaps ....

:smirk:

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Re: Your Symbol [Re: Clean]
    #3090636 - 09/04/04 09:03 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Hail Eris!

All Hail Discordia!

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

Re: Your Symbol [Re: DoctorJ]
    #3090807 - 09/04/04 10:14 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Fn0rd! Hail Eris! :laugh:

To zee:

It is the seed of life. It symbolizes my waking journey through life as I become more spiritually aware. The red, green, and blue (our perceivable light spectrum components) spirals all condense to a focal point of light which symbolizes the source of creation. I hope to one day be able to fully understand the nature of the Universe and this source and blossom into a fully enlightened being.

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #3091106 - 09/04/04 11:57 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I couldn?t choose just one symbol... so hence, I?ve created my own symbol:

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

Re: Your Symbol [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #3091173 - 09/04/04 12:10 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Niiiice one bruvva!
That seems to be coming along similar lines as the so-called 'super symbol' that I designed the other day which I'll post once I get around to scanning it.
Whats the 'M' representing?

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #3091259 - 09/04/04 12:35 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Hmm.. I look forward to seeing this Supersymbol.

The 'M' is the astrological symbol of the Scorpio... Which, is what I am. Now if you'll excuse me, I have people to pinch and things to sting.

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
Re: Your Symbol [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #3091808 - 09/04/04 03:29 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

this symbol is the flower of life, from which many things can be derived.  it is found all over the world, in different cultures and in different times.

you can fit the tree of knowledge and many other symbols in here.  sacred geometry kicks ass! :smile:

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder