Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Another Danger to Florida's Shroom Hunters: The Red Widow
    #3061415 - 08/28/04 09:29 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

ame across this pafge today and thought i hsould mention it.

One time in a field near Jacksonville in 1979, I came across a group of shrooms on a cow pie next to a large rock. I turned the rock over to phtograph the shrooms and there int he bottom of the rock in a small crevic e was a Black Widow Spider.

Well here is one which is probably even worst.

The Infamouse Florida Red Widow Spider.
Check this dude out.

This is as cool as muy semens project papers.

http://www.petbugs.com/caresheets/L-bishopi.html

mj

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineshroomaster
journeyman
Re: Another Danger to Florida's Shroom Hunters: The Red Widow [Re: mjshroomer]
    #3061602 - 08/28/04 11:03 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I have experienced the same thing. My brother and I used to pick this field in the panhandle of FL and almost every cowpie had a blackwidow underneath, no exaggeration. If we found one we found 50. Our fingers came very close a couple times to a black widow. From then on I never turned over another pile of shit with my hands. The moist environment underneath shit seems to be perfect habit for these bastards. I see them all the time in Florida and most people don't even realize how common they really are.

OfflineLeablas
Loc: Florida, USA
Re: Another Danger to Florida's Shroom Hunters: The Red Wido [Re: mjshroomer]
    #3062008 - 08/28/04 01:12 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Eeek! I hate the thought of being near a fast, poisonous spider at any times. Being someone who intends to start hunting in the near future, what precautions can I take to insure highest safety during hunts against natural dangers like spiders and snakes?

You'd think the danger of eating poisonous mushrooms was enough, now you gotta worry about being killed by insects hiding in the very spot where one finds mushrooms.

Offlinesuperblingtheory
ghettogepetto

Loc: Omnipresent
Re: Another Danger to Florida's Shroom Hunters: The Red Wido [Re: Leablas]
    #3062238 - 08/28/04 02:38 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Leablas said:
Eeek! I hate the thought of being near a fast, poisonous spider at any times. Being someone who intends to start hunting in the near future, what precautions can I take to insure highest safety during hunts against natural dangers like spiders and snakes?

Don't touch them! :lol:

Not too common actually- and btw- black widow spiders favor dark humid environments under rotting wood mostly and under rocks- cow patties would be wrong for their environment.  This spider is rare and the sand is not so terribly common to pickeing you'd find yourself ass-deep in it.  Snakes suck in Florida though- they just plain suck- they are everywhere- I've encounterd gators in Florida near farms and on them too- not cool- hunting at night can be hazardous in this respect in a swampy place or with lakes/ponds where you are signifigantly treading the edge- the bottom fucking line is- keep both eyes open for more than shrooms out in any natural environment- smokey the bear says- "only you can prevent getting your ass chewed on by wildliife." :eek:

--------------------

Guts and danger, Airborne Ranger...

Invisiblewandrnshaman
old hand
Loc: Pinellas Co, FL
Re: Another Danger to Florida's Shroom Hunters: The Red Wido [Re: Leablas]
    #3062791 - 08/28/04 05:17 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Leablas said:
Being someone who intends to start hunting in the near future, what precautions can I take to insure highest safety during hunts against natural dangers like spiders and snakes?

spiders-watch where you put your hands and wear long pants w/shoes
snakes-stomp, snakes feel the vibrations and usually retreat

Offlinethearmedforces
Disco Shroomerat 4:20

Loc: Atlanta, GA
    #3062836 - 08/28/04 05:32 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Haha, watch out for those spiders. eeks.. spiders freak me out.

--------------------

"It is only those who do nothing who make no mistakes."
-Peter Kropotkin

OfflineWorf
Lt. Commander

Loc: Final Frontier
    #3062929 - 08/28/04 06:12 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

superbling, black windows habitat are my window wells in the basement. They make their nest right out the window and you can look at their cool bellies. They are all over the place in utah.

Offlinesuperblingtheory
ghettogepetto

Loc: Omnipresent
Re: Another Danger to Florida's Shroom Hunters: The Red Wido [Re: Worf]
    #3062956 - 08/28/04 06:18 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah- now I've seen them in windowsills too I must admit!

--------------------

Guts and danger, Airborne Ranger...

Invisiblewhiterasta
Day careobserver
 User Gallery
Loc: Oregon
    #3063748 - 08/28/04 10:47 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

got bitten by a black widow when a kid(10yrs old). bit on the back of the hand lifting an old car hood. got REAL sick. Bad cramping in my abdomen and muscle spasms.Ended up in the hospital a day,IV's and such. sick for about three more days and then just tired for a week.Wouldn't want to do it again fo sho.
Here in O we don't have many Black Widows some white widow( :wink: ), instead we have Hobo spiders. Their venom is similar to the Violin spider and causes painful very slow healing ulcerations prone to infection.Nope don't much care for spiders except the fuzzy jumping kind.Too many scifi movies :lol:
WR:wexican:

--------------------
To old for this place

Offlinetheocean06
Yeah, I've donefour already...

#3063854 - 08/28/04 11:21 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

A little off topic here but take a look at this tarantula

http://www.petbugs.com/caresheets/T-apophysis.html

:eek: :whoa: :eek: :whoa: :eek:

That is one HUGE tarantula...would not want to come in contact with that mama jama :crazy2:

--------------------

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.            - Hendrix :bow:

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #3069403 - 08/30/04 01:53 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

yeah that spider right there looks like a little badass.

i remember being shown one one time by a friend that caught it outside his apartment.
he is born and raised in florida and called it a "jamaican brown widow"
he said it was more poisonous than a black widow,

ive never seen a black or brown or red or any kind of Widow-spider in a cow pasture before.
im sure they are out there though.
i believe it about there being thousands of them in some fields.

ive lifted thousands of patties, seen a couple spiders but never a poisonous Widow...

Offlineshroomaster
journeyman
    #3070100 - 08/30/04 04:41 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

superbling the environment under cow shit is perfect. it's moist, humid and dark just like under a rock or otherwise. it's not the wrong habitat if they're found there often and where I live in FL this is the case. they also frequent corners of porches outdoors and similar environments. they are everywhere in FL, don't be fooled and be careful.

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: Another Danger to Florida's Shroom Hunters: The Red Widow [Re: shroomaster]
    #3070519 - 08/30/04 06:38 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

peo0pel should also realise this is a very rare and endangered species. please DO NOT kill it, just avoid it. although it is very toxic, it should not cause death to healthy people. black widows often dont. you also have a good amount of time to get to the hospital. i have been looking for years, and have never been able to aquire any.

anyways please please do not kill this rare northa american gem.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: Another Danger to Florida's Shroom Hunters: The Red Widow [Re: kadakuda]
    #3072177 - 08/31/04 01:37 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Is it really that rare? Honestly?
When I lived in Tennessee I came across them quite frequently. One of the most memorable times was when I flipped one of those things people use at the bottom of gutter drains over (disperses the water away from the house I guess). Here was a HUGE black widow, upside down on her web with the classic markings just inches away from where I grabbed the plastic thing. I freaked out, that spider was the size of a silver dollar (legs)... If I ever had a fit of arachnaphobia, it was then... I mean, I could have touched it...

I remember another time my father spotted one crawling on the ground. He went to stomp on it and missed. It crawled on his shoe but he flung it off. We were all laughing so hard at him. It looked like "nothing to lose" when Tim Robbins shoes caught on fire...

On another note, when I lived in Tennessee my boyfriend caught a brown recluse spider that was crawling right next to me, inches away from my head on my chair. I was just sitting there watching TV when suddenly he ran over and ripped me out of the chair. I didn't know what the hell was going on until he pointed it out to me. Damn was I glad he was there... He kept it in a small jar and took it to college the next day and had it identified, and kept it as his pet spider until it died. They say those spiders don't like humans, and generally hide in dark humid places (reclusive). We caught two total at that apartment over the few years that we lived there. I don't think the ones that inhabited our apartment were as shy as they say. I am so glad to be out of there...

Then, while I was in the Smoky mountains last month, I bent down to clear the leaves away from a mushroom and I was bitten by this little tiny spider. Apparently it had used the mushroom for making his web, as he crawled right off my hand and retreated into the web that was attached to it. The bite was irritating and painful for the whole day, but was fine when I awoke the next. Felt sort of like a bee sting, but not quite that bad... Just more irritating, like a burn...

I really dislike spiders, but I know they have their place in nature...

--------------------
To give is to live...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order