Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGrower
Re: Cakes are stalling! Help!
    #305639 - 04/30/01 09:54 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I have this problem a lot. How can I remedy the situation? I guess I should add a tad more water next time. Puscle, do you know?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
Re: Cakes are stalling! Help! [Re: Grower]
    #305690 - 04/30/01 10:09 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Are you baking them dry? A most common mistake is heating jars in a dry environment. 85 degrees is fine, as long as it`s in a closed and humidified box, cooler, terrarium, etc. Even living in a dry climate will slowly dry out the jars. If you`ve got these bases covered, I`d suggest an increase in water content.

Offlinebeanie
Loc: Arizona
Re: Cakes are stalling! Help! [Re: puscle]
    #305698 - 04/30/01 10:27 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Do I have to worry about colonizing (the speed or success rate) if I live in a dry environment. Temps here lately are 90-100 and humidity about 20%. We keep the air about 78-80.
I just innoculated some jars. Do you have any suggestions on a good place to store them? What should I look for while they are colonizing to tell if they are drying out. Should I still let them colonizing fully? I use 1/2 pt jars and brf/verm with pf spor.

Yeah 100 degrees already- its gonna be a hot one this summer

--------------------
FREE SPORE RING!!!

Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Re: Cakes are stalling! Help! [Re: beanie]
    #305704 - 04/30/01 10:36 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, see at low humidity they will dry out. All you need is a rubbermaid or cooler with perlite humidification. Beanie, how long has it been since innoculation? That yellowish stain is usually the first sign of drying, also, condensation on the inside of jars. That water doesn`t end up back in the cake, it evaporates.

Offlinebeanie
    #305716 - 04/30/01 11:02 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I innoculated them feb 26th
I think they were ok while colonizing but about 2 weeks after putting them in the cooler they started turning colors and shriveling up
I started with perlite.
So I though I should spray a couple times a day and that really didn't do anything. I got a temp and humd gage (i know they are not always completely accurate but I needed something) and put saran wrap over the top to make it a better seal- That seemed to make it REAL humid. All this in about a 2 week time frame. So about 4 weeks after putting them in my cooler. They still showed no signs of pinning. So I got fed up one day and took the saran off and stopped spraying and all of the sudden one cake started pinning. That one is doing ok put they are small. One cake hasn't done a thing. The other cake is just starting to turn a little blue. I think I might have let them colonize to long and they started to dry out. I also dropped the temp for about 2 days to about 68-70 and now that there is some growth should I increase it a little. The first time I grew it was in a average temp and humidity climate and I had no problems at all. Being here has thrown me off a bit.
I know this is alot to read thank you for all your help

--------------------
FREE SPORE RING!!!

Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
    #305735 - 04/30/01 11:51 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, I had the same problem with cakes. My suggestion: crumble and case, you won`t see fruit for a couple weeks, but when you do, you should see a nice flush.

Offlinebeanie
    #305746 - 04/30/01 12:01 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Will I have to worry about contamination if I do that? Would I need to sterilize. Would I crumble and cover for a little bit or can I just put them back in my perlite setup. Thank you for all your help

--------------------
FREE SPORE RING!!!

Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
    #305766 - 04/30/01 12:29 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Ok, here goes, by the way all this can be found in the grow/find section. Place 3, 1/2 pint cakes in a ziplock, smush `em up into marble sized crumbs, (your hands on the outside of the bag. Lay the crumbs into a clean 7 X 7 cake pan covered by damp verm. Tamp them down lightly, to even the surface. Cover with 1/2 inch of damp verm. Verm is usually clean right out of the bag, but if it`s been sitting around your kitchen, your better off steaming it in a double boil (covered) for one hour. You want the verm damp, not dripping. Place your cake pan in a ziplock, seal it and poke a few holes with a clean fork. After about 5 -7 days the mycelia should break thru to the surface. At this time, transfer your casing to your terrarium. Mist the surface of your casing once daily, lightly. I should mention that while your casing is colonizing (in the ziplock) you may need to mist once or twice. Dry substrate can soak up a lot of water. Avoid too much water, you want the casing to be moist, like the ground after the morning dew. Now,once pins appear (about a week) STOP misting. Wet pins will and do cause aborts. Fresh air 2-3 times a day. Contams are always a threat, still, with verm you can get an easy 3 flushes.
You`re welcome!

Offlinebeanie
    #305797 - 04/30/01 12:56 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

puscle, I will give it a try today. Thank you so much for all of your advice. I will keep you updated :)

--------------------
FREE SPORE RING!!!

Offlinebeanie
Cakes are stalling-UPDATE [Re: beanie]
    #311514 - 05/07/01 04:42 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

well a sad day... my first attempt at casing was a failure :(
I thought the smell was funny a couple of days ago and sure enough the GREEN MONSTER moved in. Did you hear, shhh it was contams. Not to get discouraged though, I will prevail. I have more colonizing on the way! Thanks to everyone who lended advice :) I'm sure I will need more

--------------------
FREE SPORE RING!!!

Offlineemptyhouse
Stranger
Loc: Canada
    #311674 - 05/07/01 07:43 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

How can water evaporate from the jars if they are sealed? My jars are being kept at 77-82 F, humidity of around 40%. Is there any need to increase the humidity during the incubation?

InvisibleBrownPastures
old hand

Loc: here
Re: Cakes are stalling! Help! [Re: emptyhouse]
    #311689 - 05/07/01 07:55 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

sometimes , condensation is normal... it all depends on how good you are at mixing and preparing cakes and/or substrate... if you have probs with condensation take the tape of those holes(if you still have it on ) and turn the cakes upside down... gravity should do the rest... if your cakes are too dry ...well... it all comes down to how you mixed your substrate.. even if your enviroment is dry you should try over-compensating for that... remember that practice makes perfect... the rules that are in all the teks are not set in stone... that is why there are so many of them... peace and good luck

go fish

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix