Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineTasty_Smurf_House
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Shitty job, not enough time, and going no where
    #3040287 - 08/23/04 04:34 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I don't know where to start on this one. I feel like I'm going no where fast. I've had this job for almost a month now, and already I'm sick of it. I can't stand it. I hate my job and everyday I'm there I'm uncomfortable and I want to quit. It's also not a whole heck of a lot of money, and although I don't require all that much, what I'm making just doesn't cut it.

Finding another job let alone a job with better pay is next to impossible. For those who don't know, I have my bridge and septum pierced, and I won't take them out. Well the septum I could, but I really don't want to, and it doesnt matter because my bridge isn't healed yet and I wont be able to take it out for quite a while. I have no post secondary education, all I have is my high school, and my marks in that were quite poor.

When I was younger my parents were always like "Do what you want. You're smart and you can do anything you want" and all that. They had plans for me to go to university but I did so shitty in school I don't think i'd even be able to get in. I thought about re-taking some high school courses to get my marks up. I know I could do great in school, but for some reason I cant. I always have problems doing things. Mostly in english. In many classes I cant focus or pay enough attention, and then in stuff like english I usually don't answer questions because they arn't black and white like in math or science. It's always a grey type of thing and I don't want to sound stupid and be wrong and it just makes school very difficult for me.

So what I want to do is music. It's what I love. Even working in a record store wouldn't be that bad, but it's difficult to get hired there. Many people want the job and people rarely quit. But I want to do something in music. I want to further myself musically and become a really great musician, it would add meaning to my life and I know I would be happy doing it.

So what does my dad tell me? "Music?! You can't make money in music!". Ever since he's came to the realization that I'm not going to be going to university he wants me to become an electrician. It's a trades job, you make ok money, and there will be a huge need for trades people soon.

But I want to do music! And with the job I have now I don't make enough money to be able to pay for good lessons and have enough time commit myself to music to the point that I would like to. I work nightshifts, and I usually sleep a decent amount because my job is just manual labor. I throw big boxes and shit around and am always walking and shit and sometimes after work I walk an hour home. I've lost some weight which I'm happy about, but it's physically draining. Not only that but I hate it so much and since I feel like I'm going nowhere fast, it's mentally draining. It's just consuming my soul and I hate it and then when my dad says something like I can't get anywhere with music it's horrible.

What the hell should I do?!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleadrug

Re: Shitty job, not enough time, and going no where [Re: Tasty_Smurf_House]
    #3040295 - 08/23/04 04:36 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Be an electrician who is in a band.

InvisibleAbstractHarmonix
Love is like a train...
Female

Loc: The Sea
    #3040354 - 08/23/04 04:50 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

No worries my good friend!

All you need to do is throw yourself into another situation.  When ever I get sick of my job, the people around me, my location, the weather, whatever, I just pick up and leave.

If you don't give a shit about your material possessions, eating three meals a day, and not wiping your ass then you should travel. There are many wonderful wondering wanders out there (like myself :smile: )who are living each day for the air that we breath.  I live each day to wake up to the trees, and to the endless sky abroad.

I refuse to wake up each day to a job of which I feel compelled to recieve a pay check.  Do that for a month or two, then ride the fuck out for a month or two.

About your job, unless you have no bills, simply wait for another offer.  If you dont have bills, pick up a trade and ride out.

A few years ago, my father told me the same crap about music.  I was involved in many commercial art projects around my community, and was known for my watercolors, and when my dad found out i was quitting all my art classes to excel in music, I got my ass chewed out.

When persuing music, you must be careful.  Right now i am looking for the right music school.  i was accepted to Stetson university, whihc is a mainly music and law school in Florida, but i declined.  Florida first private university, over 20,000 dollars per year.  Sick.  So I said fuck that.  I have 3 college credits as of right now, and one of those is Music Theory.  this is an imperative class for music education enhancement. 
Music is definitely not an easy way out, and requires many hard and demanding classes for a degree.  And becareful, when persuing music as a profession, sometimes it is just better left as a hobby.

I am currently looking for a music school, anywhere in the world.  I have a couple scholarships and big dreams.  We will see where it takes me.

I get the feeling from your post like you are stuck...If this is so, you should just take off and see the world.  Or go somewhere new, check it out.  try to find a job in another location.

Liberate yourself!  dont be afraid to do what you want.  We are young, and the family is strong.  Karma takes care of us my friend.  the rest of your destiny is up to you....

Much love my friend.  Hope your mind eases itself with time, and with whatever decisions you plan to make for yourself...AND never ever let anyone get you down about your desires.  If music is your bag, then GET IT!  Dont let anyone tell you it isnt worth it, or there is no money in it.  Passion doesnt scream for money, and thats why there really isnt money in it.  And if you are true to music, money aint nothing but a thang.

-Ares

--------------------
A plethora of music aspirations control my temptations of future revelations beyond "now". The percussion, and the heart beat of my love and devotion. The rhythm goes beyond, prying into the third eye, releasing the creativity held so far inside. The melodicies, through the out of tune pianos and broken classical guitars...there lies a beauty. A beauty as prevelent as the fire inside. To release these energies is pure ecstacy, to deveop these gifts is sacred. The vocality, so pure as can be, shying away from herself, lies within me. For the underlying serenitity, this is what I live for. I plea for harmony, and nothing more. Music equals love. Creation of love leads to the procreativity of the World, and it's spirals and puddles prevailing.

OfflineTasty_Smurf_House
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Shitty job, not enough time, and going no where [Re: AbstractHarmonix]
    #3040388 - 08/23/04 04:59 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

The only problem is I need money to help me further my music.

Anonymous #1

#3040411 - 08/23/04 05:10 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

my advice is to go for the vocational training. get a trade skill. music is great for many things, but making a living generally ain't one of them. hell, really getting into making music is probably going to cost you money, but there isn't anything wrong with that as long as you have a real source of income (unskilled labor is not one of them).

Love is like a train...
Female

#3040441 - 08/23/04 05:23 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Why? Go to your local educational institute and sit in on some classes. Find a friend doing music, and hook up with them. Do you need money for the instruments? There are always mad deals on slightly dysfunctional instruments and such...money is just paper my friend. Just paper...

--------------------
A plethora of music aspirations control my temptations of future revelations beyond "now". The percussion, and the heart beat of my love and devotion. The rhythm goes beyond, prying into the third eye, releasing the creativity held so far inside. The melodicies, through the out of tune pianos and broken classical guitars...there lies a beauty. A beauty as prevelent as the fire inside. To release these energies is pure ecstacy, to deveop these gifts is sacred. The vocality, so pure as can be, shying away from herself, lies within me. For the underlying serenitity, this is what I live for. I plea for harmony, and nothing more. Music equals love. Creation of love leads to the procreativity of the World, and it's spirals and puddles prevailing.

OfflineTasty_Smurf_House
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Shitty job, not enough time, and going no where [Re: AbstractHarmonix]
    #3040588 - 08/23/04 05:59 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I have instruments. But I want lessons for drums so I can learn to play them well, and I want bass lessons to improve on that. I'm not too worried about guitar, it's my third concern right now. I don't know. I don't care about making a shit load of money, I just want to be able to do what I like which is music, even if it just barely gets me by.

Love is like a train...
Female

#3040630 - 08/23/04 06:10 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

You dont need lessons. there are lessons on the internet, and practice by yourself and with other people all the time. You can self teach mmang! the tools are free and everywhere on the web, in the library, public education, etc! YEAH!

--------------------

OfflineBarbi
Plastic Person

#3040667 - 08/23/04 06:22 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

your dad speaks of the 'cold harsh reality' of the world that most kids out of highschool dont want to see.

There is no money in music unless you areone in a million int eh right place at the right time.

You need to sit down and decide if you really want to be making 7 bucks an hour at 40 years old or not.

OfflineTasty_Smurf_House
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Shitty job, not enough time, and going no where [Re: Barbi]
    #3040792 - 08/23/04 06:57 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

No. You've missed the point entirely. Go back to OTD.

OfflineBarbi
Plastic Person

#3040836 - 08/23/04 07:07 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

No I didnt. I'm backing up the reality of your situation. you either deal with life and follow the rules, or deal with the consequences of choosing otherwise.

In your scenario, you either get a real job and a trade to support your music hobbies until hopefully you one day 'make it' Or hav a series of shitty jobs for the rest of your life while trying to make it, and be 40 making 7 bucks an hour.

Invisibleentheoindole
Seāð Wīdfarend
 User Gallery

Loc: Eormensyll, Vīnland
    #3040892 - 08/23/04 07:18 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I love music. I've been playing guitar since I was 13. I can pick alot of things up by ear. I sang for a band in my late teens and early twenties. Now I am nearing the end of my twenties.

I grew away from the guitar and found a new love; the sitar! Music is the greatest form of art to me! But it is not something I would want to cheapen by making it a commodity. That's just my opinion though...

Music is art, just let it flow. Don't force it! If you do you will only be disappointed and frustrated! Take your dad's advice; find some way to make money; work sucks, trust me I know! But the way this world is organized you don't have much of a choice.

Give yourself some time to grow into your artform. If you can make money doing it, GREAT! But don't let that be your soul purpose for creating art! It won't be sincere or true to your inner-being...

Music is a noble pursuit! It brings joy to so many people. And is so flexibly plyable! Not like any cut and dried product that corporations try to sale you! (This is why I hate MTV so! They cheapen music tremendously!)

Work hard and play harder! One day your dreams will manifest in to being and all of your hard work will make more sense to you!

OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

Re: Shitty job, not enough time, and going no where [Re: Barbi]
    #3040945 - 08/23/04 07:26 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

No I didnt. I'm backing up the reality of your situation. you either deal with life and follow the rules, or deal with the consequences of choosing otherwise.

In your scenario, you either get a real job and a trade to support your music hobbies until hopefully you one day 'make it' Or hav a series of shitty jobs for the rest of your life while trying to make it, and be 40 making 7 bucks an hour.

I have to agree with mndfreeze.Even if you make it big in music these days,.you're still broke.So many music stars end up filing bankruptcy.The world is cold and harsh once you become an adult.If you want to follow your dreams go for music but expect to starve and generally not make it.If you're lucky you may just barely scrape by.Or else your only choice is to work a regular job with steady reliable pay.I personally have alot of freedom.I work for myself and I do just fine.I fix comps part time for a meager living.Enough money to get by well enough but not too much work time that its bothersome.

I am only fortunate to do what I do because I have many many years of experience and knowledge with comps.I have a good trade skill.granted I could easily work for a company and make about 20 dollars an hour but Im definitely not the 9 to 5 type.

At the least find a balance between something you enjoy and something that pays the bills.

--------------------
Do not desire to reach a high level.Rather work without thought of reward to iron out flaws and impurities in one's self for the sake of one's self.When one has done this one needs not to desire anymore. http://www.lifeforceonlinestore.com/yc/

OfflineTasty_Smurf_House
Stranger
 User Gallery

#3042753 - 08/24/04 03:02 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I've decided to work a bit less and get music lessons and play during the day while looking for a different job. That should give me something to do.

OfflineCaRnAgECaNdYS
Tool's groupie
Female User Gallery

Loc: Billy Howerdel's closet Flag
Re: Shitty job, not enough time, and going no where [Re: UnenlightenedOne]
    #3042961 - 08/24/04 05:46 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

UnenlightenedOne said:
Quote:

I have to agree with mndfreeze.Even if you make it big in music these days,.you're still broke.So many music stars end up filing bankruptcy.The world is cold and harsh once you become an adult.If you want to follow your dreams go for music but expect to starve and generally not make it.If you're lucky you may just barely scrape by.Or else your only choice is to work a regular job with steady reliable pay.I personally have alot of freedom.I work for myself and I do just fine.I fix comps part time for a meager living.Enough money to get by well enough but not too much work time that its bothersome.

I am only fortunate to do what I do because I have many many years of experience and knowledge with comps.I have a good trade skill.granted I could easily work for a company and make about 20 dollars an hour but Im definitely not the 9 to 5 type.

At the least find a balance between something you enjoy and something that pays the bills.

I agree with both.
Sometimes you have to accept reality as is!

--------------------

The secret to being funny is to say smart things stupidly, or is it stupid things smartly? Whatever..it's not rocket surgery...or something like that.

OfflineTasty_Smurf_House
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Shitty job, not enough time, and going no where [Re: CaRnAgECaNdY]
    #3045113 - 08/24/04 04:41 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Someone who devotes all her time to an online message board, who constantly checks her ratings, post whores, flirts with everyone, and starts up online relationships on a whim, is trying to tell me about reality.

Guess who has a job? Me.

Go get a job and spend some time with your kids.

OfflineBarbi
Plastic Person

#3046067 - 08/24/04 08:10 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

:wink:

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #3046073 - 08/24/04 08:11 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

That last post was uncalled for. She did nothing but agree with two other posters. Are you going to slam them as well?

If you weren't looking for people's input on your situation, why post here in the first place?

pinky

--------------------

OfflineTasty_Smurf_House
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Shitty job, not enough time, and going no where [Re: Phred]
    #3046177 - 08/24/04 08:39 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

No, because she's doing it to be a bitch, trust me.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #3046205 - 08/24/04 08:46 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

And someone who was paying their first visit to this forum would reach the conclusion that she was doing it to be a bitch rather than to reinforce advice given by others?

The forum has rules. It would probably be a good idea to abide by them, don't you think?

pinky

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom