Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

MagicBag.co Shop: All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag, Contam-Resistant All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlinepsikooz
Stranger
Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Damnit... music doesn't work anymore [Re: abhi]
    #2159755 - 12/04/03 10:10 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Dude it sounds like you need to take a break. If i were you id go live in the forest in a cabin with nothing but a radio and a phone for a couple weeks. When you get back youll be a new man.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Damnit... music doesn't work anymore [Re: PeachMan]
    #2160344 - 12/05/03 01:35 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I go through periods like this. Sometimes I'll go for as much as a month without picking up my guitar, but then, one day inspiration comes to me again and I start writing again. You'll come around. I always do.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineBurning_Skies
Midnight toker
 User Gallery

Loc: Denver
Re: Damnit... music doesn't work anymore [Re: silversoul7]
    #5320139 - 02/20/06 02:21 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I think that you've just fallen into routine. I make a point of not doing anything that I can't explain the reasons for to myself, and when I feel stuck in a rut, I ask "then why do I keep doing (problem activity here)?" Usually the answer I come up with is "cause I have to." Don't let yourself think like that, man. don't practice for a couple of weeks, and when you want to practice again, ask why. if you say anything but "cause I'm out of practice" / "It's what I do" then go back at it like you just got out of prison.

Anecdote time!
I play the drums, and I've been in and out of folk and metalbands for the past couple of years. When I got kicked out of a band a week ago, I was crushed. They said that "I just didn't fit" I didn't want to practice, or even see a pair of drumsitcks again in my life. so I chucked my sticks at my stereo amp (I didn't wnat to hear music for a while. read: ever) and, lo and behold, my throw got a pair of 9A custom-lathed drumsticks stuck in the mic jack. so I went rummaging around my housew for something to get that fucker out of there, that's a vacuum-tube amp, vintage 1964! So I'm looking for a saw and a corkscrew when I tripped over a guitar case. I paniced, hoping that I didn't hurt it (I hit HARD) so I opened it up. It's a crappy japanese replica of a '72 gibson special, and I've never played anything sounding remotely like music on it.

I can't play the guitar. but that gave me an idea, so when I got the drumstick out of the mic jack, I plugged in the guitar and looked up the tab to Immigrant Song. I can't sing, either, but I did my "best" to play the song. Haven't played the drums with a band again, but now I'm temping for this one punk band whose guitar player (plays worse than me, according to the demos and his bandmates) has a broken wrist. I expect to get a good 4 months out of this job, and it really helped my feelings of patheticness (is that a word?). So I would say find an environment that lets you totally forget your band for a little while whilst you explore a different path. you shuld start feeling like you want to go back after some time.

--------------------

In the teachings of Zen, the beginner's mind is the most restful, the most aware. As we age, we lose that mind, the mind of the child. David Blaine once said "A little baby doesn't need magic, for it already lives in a world of astonishment, wonder, and discovery. For one fleeting moment, that is what magic does for the rest of us." Well, that is what psychedelics do for me, but over a longer period of time. So before you go regulating what I take into my body, keep that in mind.
I will break the laws of the ignorant bigots who seek to stop me from experiencing a higher conciousness.

OfflineDerelict
Stranger Danger
Loc: Appalachain Mountains
Re: Damnit... music doesn't work anymore [Re: Burning_Skies]
    #5328632 - 02/22/06 04:54 PM (18 years, 29 days ago)

Peachman, you said it works again. What changed? Did you take a break? I ask because I find myself in a similar predicament. (band, growing fan base, loathing of once-loved songs).

--------------------
We are here on earth to fart around.
Don't let anybody tell you any different.
-Kurt Vonnegut

InvisibleThin White Duke
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Damnit... music doesn't work anymore [Re: PeachMan]
    #5329057 - 02/22/06 07:17 PM (18 years, 29 days ago)

Even John Lennon needed a break from music.

It'll come back to you :thumbup:

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
Re: Damnit... music doesn't work anymore [Re: Thin White Duke]
    #5331326 - 02/23/06 11:34 AM (18 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

It'll come back to you

Maybe it already has. This thread is three years old and Peachman hasn't posted here in a year.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

InvisibleThin White Duke
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Damnit... music doesn't work anymore [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #5332133 - 02/23/06 03:41 PM (18 years, 28 days ago)

/sigh

Why do people go looking through years old posts and reply.

Invisiblebudsicle
s?igh?tsee?r

Re: Damnit... music doesn't work anymore [Re: pattern]
    #5335061 - 02/24/06 02:17 PM (18 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

pattern said:
Sounds like your passion has become your job. Try a vacation for a week or two.

^^ seconded

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

MagicBag.co Shop: All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag, Contam-Resistant All-In-One Grow Bags