Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Mass gainers. Tell me all you know please.
    #29670083 -

Hard gainer here and as a last resort I'm looking into whey/cassien powders. I eat plenty of food so this would just be supplemental. I'm not interested in creatine and not a user of supplements in general.
I guess my concerns are with the sugars in these products. Are there any that are Maltodextrin free and affordable? Is it better to buy ingredients individual and make my own?
Very physically active at work and play and I need options besides more solid food. My goal is to add 10 or 15 lbs in fat and more!muscle. Not into cutting and bulking cycle. Just need some gains to stick long term lol.

Your opinions, suggestions and experiences are appreciated.
Thanks people.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mass gainers. Tell me all you know please. [Re: space daddy]
    #29670184 -

just buy a low sugar low carb whey protein powder

* you get what you pay for , most cheaper ones use soya protein

Edited by pugster (09/16/26 10:40 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mass gainers. Tell me all you know please. [Re: pugster]
    #29670229 -

:nowords:

But carbs is where da gains is bro. Protien ain't all that-this I know.
Thanks though

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mass gainers. Tell me all you know please. [Re: space daddy]
    #29670250 -

Personally, my Vitamix has been my best friend. I skip mass gainers - protein powder, oatmeal, peanut butter and banana is a great stack. You can throw just about anything in there and blend for quick calories. I also do a veggie/fruit/yogurt/quinoa blend with my vitamins. Happy gaining!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mass gainers. Tell me all you know please. [Re: space daddy]
    #29670252 -

??? all you are going to gain eating loads of carbs is fat :grin:

most people have no problem getting enough carbs in their diet (as said above, just add oats to your shakes)  , getting rid of it once you realise you have turned into a fat sack of shit is the hard part.

Edited by pugster (09/16/26 12:21 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mass gainers. Tell me all you know please. [Re: pugster]
    #29670739 -

Best gaining is cheapest protein powder 1 scoop into a muffin mix, mix in 8 eggs and 1 cup of skin milk. Bake in a cake pan until its solid.  Eat over 2 days .
Lucky black friday sales on bodybuilding sights will soon be upon us. Last year for 130 bucks I got 15 lbs of whey idolate and 600 fish oil pills. I'm still using it today. Greek yogurt from aldi is a budget friendly opinion too.
https://supplementhunt.com/products/myprotein-impact-whey-protein-5-5lbs?variant=47858164105393&country=US¤cy=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&srsltid=AfmBOorcg6LvsDrNR6cPoGna11R6Gyu8Bhdtibk-Hv78QGhXL4Q3ql-uHAg
Best taste for its sale price since you hate malt.


--------------------
The better guide to grow mushrooms.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/8553541

Beware the power of one.  The power of two. The power of many.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mass gainers. Tell me all you know please. [Re: space daddy] * 1
    #29671187 -

This isn't exactly the advice you're asking for, but as a "hard gainer" who made a big attempt to build mass into my 20's through progressive resistance exercise coupled with whey protein supplements and higher food intake, I ultimately decided that it was a bit ridiculous for me to fight so hard against where my body wanted to be.

Putting on and especially maintaining another 10-20 lbs of lean body mass meant eating and exercising more than I really wanted to.  Building it up was a pain in the ass, but what really wore on me was the ongoing commitment to keeping that physique.  Granted, it stroked my ego when the girlfriend made a swoonful comment about how I looked, but eventually I realized that I liked the result more than I liked the lifestyle I was following to sustain it.

If that's the work you want to put in because that particular end justifies the means, there's of course nothing wrong with that.  For my part, as I got older, I reasoned that I just didn't want to be fighting against my body's natural balance.  When I'm listening, my body tells me quite clearly where it prefers to be, and packing on extra muscle felt like constantly swimming upstream for something that wasn't actually improving my enjoyment of life.

As I got older, I decided focusing on my health span was way more important to me.  I've since resolved to continue regular exercise (i.e. 30-90 minutes of active cardio daily with at least two resistance based sessions per week) alongside a generally healthy and varied diet, proper sleep, and striving to keep my insatiable appetite for altered consciousness through a variety of substance use on a proper leash.

I'll never say that strength isn't important, because it absolutely is. I want to be strong. But being bigger isn't an end in itself for me. I'd rather pursue a level of strength and fitness I can comfortably sustain, as opposed to chasing a physique whose upkeep feels like a chore.

So alongside asking how to add weight, I'd encourage you to consider what your motivations are and what exactly you want out of it, and ultimately whether you actually enjoy the process, because the process is where we spend most of our life's time and energy.

Your mileage may vary, for any number of reasons... :biggrin:


--------------------

--------------------
┼ ··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙·· ┼
...╬π╥ ╥π╬...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mass gainers. Tell me all you know please. [Re: space daddy]
    #29671801 -

space daddy said:
Hard gainer here and as a last resort I'm looking into whey/cassien powders. I eat plenty of food so this would just be supplemental. I'm not interested in creatine and not a user of supplements in general.
I guess my concerns are with the sugars in these products. Are there any that are Maltodextrin free and affordable? Is it better to buy ingredients individual and make my own?
Very physically active at work and play and I need options besides more solid food. My goal is to add 10 or 15 lbs in fat and more!muscle. Not into cutting and bulking cycle. Just need some gains to stick long term lol.

Your opinions, suggestions and experiences are appreciated.
Thanks people.



The mass gainer products are pretty garbage.

The most reliable way to gain or lose weight is tracking your calories in/out. Doesn't have to be exact, doing it for a week or two should give you a decent idea how much is in each meal youre making

There are tons of high calorie foods you can munch on during the day to boost your calorie intake. Add extra olive oil on everything, peanut butter powder in smoothies, butter, eat higher amounts of fatty meat etc

If you're getting enough calories to gain weight you shouldn't have to worry about protein content unless you're eating mostly processed stuff

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mass gainers. Tell me all you know please. [Re: feevers]
    #29672208 -

Thanks to all who took time to respond. I appreciate that.

So I have some good info to consider before going forward.

Thanks.
Be Strong. Body. Soul. Mind. Heart.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mass gainers. Tell me all you know please. [Re: space daddy]
    #29672494 -

So you want to gain 10-15 pounds and you don’t care if it’s fat or muscle? Just making sure I read that correctly

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mass gainers. Tell me all you know please. [Re: Pupenhause]
    #29672844 -

Thanks for reply.

So I've basically reached another plateau in my work-out routine. I'm into fitness for the mental health benefits followed by strength and overall well-being. I'm not looking to be swole. I am pleased with my physique as is. The issue is, I've reached a point where I'm burning more than I'm consuming. Need to maintain at the very least. Also, very active in general and metabolism like hummingbird which plays in
this. I don't want to cut back on exercise but can't eat more. What to do?

(Yeah I know haha, I have "real" problems too though)

Or maybe there's another way to approach this?

Can I just stop progressive overload at this point and max out where I am? Obviously I won't gain more strength, but will any be lost?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mass gainers. Tell me all you know please. [Re: Pupenhause]
    #29672856 -

Pupenhause said:
So you want to gain 10-15 pounds and you don’t care if it’s fat or muscle? Just making sure I read that correctly






--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
personal empowerment for the world

Onehomemission.org
truly make a difference

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mass gainers. Tell me all you know please. [Re: Asante]
    #29672869 -

Asante said:
Pupenhause said:
So you want to gain 10-15 pounds and you don’t care if it’s fat or muscle? Just making sure I read that correctly









Haha smartass love it!

Yeah ice cream works. I won't eat that much anymore though. Sugar bad like crack. For me anyhow.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mass gainers. Tell me all you know please. [Re: space daddy]
    #29672906 -

Sugar in excess is bad for everyone, and excess is over 1 ounce a day.

Mass gainers are bulked up (lol) with carbs, which is just a way to make you pay more for less.

I think its best to get something like sugar free whey with a flavor and use that to make oatmeal. Oatmeal is 13.5% protein anyway, and has all the right carbs. If you make it with sugar free flavored whey mix you get the awesome taste, the high protein and all the amazing health benefits of oatmeal.

Sucralose sweetener often used in those mixes leaves nothing to be desired in terms of safety or flavor.


--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
personal empowerment for the world

Onehomemission.org
truly make a difference

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mass gainers. Tell me all you know please. [Re: Asante]
    #29672926 -

:takingnotes:

Thanks all.

:sunny:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mass gainers. Tell me all you know please. [Re: space daddy]
    #29673827 -

I eat what I want. Probably fairly excessive on the protein and sugar in my case. I went from 145 lbs in the grips of alcoholism barely eating to 175 lbs at 5 years off booze. My ideal weight is probably somewhere in the middle but I'm ok where I am. Lots of booze just makes food run through you I found.

I work construction and am stronger than most of my co workers. I did steroids at TRT level doses only a few years ago and didn't really gain from it. Made me hungrier though.

My absolute heaviest and strongest was after jail. I ate a lot and lifted weights everyday for 100 days. I weighed 186 lbs of mostly muscle on my way out. Could bench press over 200 lbs. My relapse saw me shed 40 lbs then mostly gain it back now. :eek:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mass gainers. Tell me all you know please. [Re: space daddy]
    #29674525 -

space daddy said:
Thanks for reply.

So I've basically reached another plateau in my work-out routine. I'm into fitness for the mental health benefits followed by strength and overall well-being. I'm not looking to be swole. I am pleased with my physique as is. The issue is, I've reached a point where I'm burning more than I'm consuming. Need to maintain at the very least. Also, very active in general and metabolism like hummingbird which plays in
this. I don't want to cut back on exercise but can't eat more. What to do?

(Yeah I know haha, I have "real" problems too though)

Or maybe there's another way to approach this?

Can I just stop progressive overload at this point and max out where I am? Obviously I won't gain more strength, but will any be lost?



You should be eating as much whole food as possible if you want to gain, that’s all there is to it. Mass gainers are great for hitting the extra calories you need if you fall short. Mass gainers are cheaper than protein powder, because it’s gonna go a higher fat and carb to protein ratio. What you can do to ensure you’re getting those calories and that it’s will food, is just make your own mass gainer. It’s not hard and If you stop progressive overload, you’ll stop gaining. But the only way you’ll lose strength/size is if you stop working out and hitting your calorie goals.

What’s you’re weight and height right now and what are you calories and macros at?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mass gainers. Tell me all you know please. [Re: Asante] * 1
    #29674526 -

Asante said:
Pupenhause said:
So you want to gain 10-15 pounds and you don’t care if it’s fat or muscle? Just making sure I read that correctly








That’s a great we to get fat and feel like shit 24/7☠️☠️☠️

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mass gainers. Tell me all you know please. [Re: Pupenhause]
    #29674530 -

That's exactly why I posted it.

"bulking" alone is no good, you want to increase your lean mass, not body fat.


--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
personal empowerment for the world

Onehomemission.org
truly make a difference

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mass gainers. Tell me all you know please. [Re: Asante] * 1
    #29674591 -

To be fair, I always have Ben & Jerry's stocked in the fridge.  And I ain't fat.  Portion control people! :biggrin:


--------------------

--------------------
┼ ··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙·· ┼
...╬π╥ ╥π╬...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Lean Muscle Mass Gainer: Will It Make You Fat? Crystal G 11,159 16 04/16/13 07:12 PM
by Crystal G
* Gaining weight and building muscle and body mass!
( 1 2 all )
cottlestonpie 3,641 20 08/16/09 05:50 PM
by cottlestonpie
* Vegetarian and increasing muscle mass
( 1 2 3 all )
freddurgan 4,801 43 06/09/07 01:02 PM
by Sterile
* Body Mass Index *DELETED* MR14 736 16 01/02/09 09:39 PM
by Grizvok
* The RandalFlagg self-improvement thread
( 1 2 all )
RandalFlagg 3,863 38 12/17/05 07:14 PM
by eligal
* Putting On Weight ( nevermind losing it, some need more : )... ) Mike_yy 1,166 9 06/25/06 02:24 PM
by browndustin
* Whats an protien shake with a good gram/protein ratio? Zardos 1,646 6 01/20/11 02:35 PM
by memes
* I want to get ripped - need advice RandalFlagg 1,235 11 07/20/05 12:45 PM
by Gus

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: CherryBom, Asante, Rose, mndfreeze, yogabunny, feevers, CookieCrumbs, Northerner
398 topic views. 1 members, 3 guests and 9 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.033 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 17 queries.