Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemorian

newbie question, please don't hurt me
    #2964767 - 08/04/04 02:22 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I'm new, I've been sifting through the shroomery for a few weeks but just signed up today.

I was hoping someone could point in the right direction.

I'm thinking about doing a setup like the PFTek richman's terrerium, but instead of using a humidifier or opening the thing up to spray it 5 times a day, I'd like to make an automated spray system using misting nozzles and a water pump. The nozzles will be aimed at the center of the drip guard. Air flow will be from a tiny blower and a tiny air filter so the thing can just stay closed all day every day. Misting will be periodic throughout the day for variable intervals. Air in surrounding room will be appriate temperature and humidity will be held at around 50-60% using a humidifier.

Reason I don't want to use perlite: I hear it smells bad and its no fun to clean up, and how well does it really scale?

Reason I don't want to use a humidifier shooting into the tank: I just don't want my humid air going through 8 feet of tubing and 4 Coke bottles before hitting my terrariums. Also don't feel like filling it.

Reason I want to use nozzles: Easy to control, and flow is measureable and repeatable. It should also be quite tidy.

My question is, has anyone done this? And if so, can someone point me to a thread where its talked about cause I can't find one. That'd be awesome, thank you.

Morian

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineThe_Cultivator
Self ProclaimedGenius

Loc: ethiopia
Re: newbie question, please don't hurt me [Re: morian]
    #2964806 - 08/04/04 02:30 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

sound a little complicated, you better run the terrarium for a while and work all the bugs out before you actually use it.

but it has potential

--------------------
"So, how long has it been a month?"

OfflineDrone
Derka Derka Derka
Male

Loc: Maryland
    #2964928 - 08/04/04 03:04 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

just use the poor mans pod....
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...part=1&vc=1
simple and automated.

--------------------

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #2965329 - 08/04/04 05:32 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

sure, here's one: :thumbup:

if the link doesn't work, it was the tiny blowers. aim big, start small. do a pftek grow, like  this one

--------------------
buh

Invisiblefungusflip
visionary

Loc: texas
Re: newbie question, please don't hurt me [Re: shirley knott]
    #2965340 - 08/04/04 05:40 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

if you want some ideas for terrariums do a search for a thread in the growlog forum called;my magic box.

--------------------
let it be know, there is a fountain that was not made by the hands of men.

Offlineevilchipmunk
All your nutsare belong tome.

Re: newbie question, please don't hurt me [Re: fungusflip]
    #2965364 - 08/04/04 05:55 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

My perlite is odorless. o.O I suppose if you don't change it now and again it could get stinky.. I'm thinking the only way it could get like that is if it was harboring some sort of nasty contam, and personally I wouldn't try to grow shrooms in a place like that. :P As far as keeping humidity up, it works great for me. It's somewhat of a pain in the ass to clean up, but it's really not that bad, and way cheaper than a humidifier and all that crap. My two cents.

--------------------
George Dubya Bush's Resume.

Offlinemorian

Re: newbie question, please don't hurt me [Re: evilchipmunk]
    #2965757 - 08/04/04 08:01 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for all your responses..... I went and looked at the spinning spiral for a while and now I'm back.

Maybe I'll explain a little better. I intend to follow this tek:

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/3372/pag/4

using the basic growing chamber with the splash sheild and spray bottle method with two tiny mods:

mod1. You see how there is a spray bottle shooting water in the top left corner of one of the diagrams? Now, imagine instead of the spray bottle, that is a misting nozzle hooked up to a small water pump and a timer? Is that such a stretch? Has no one seriously ever done this?

mod2. Thanks to mod1, the terrarium is no long being opened periodically for spraying and obviously C02 will be a problem, so air will be blown in at an appropriate fixed rate using a small fan.

So, you see, not really all that tricky. The first grow, I'll probably follow the Tek verbatim and not add my mods so I can get a feel for growing. I just thought maybe someone had tried a misting setup, after all, its mentioned in both the Stamets books and he sells the little nozzles on his website and includes them in his air circulation systems.

OfflineBufferOverflow
A bit short of abyte

Loc: Texas
    #2966418 - 08/04/04 11:38 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I agree with Drone. The PMP works like a champ!

Filled my PMP with Perlite and went through a couple of growing cycles before I got tired of the clean-up. Wet Perlite tends to stick to everything. Never had any problems with the Perlite getting stinky and water sat in it for weeks at a time.

Switched to expanded clay pebbles before this last grow, and I can already tell that my Perlite days are long gone! The larger size of the pebbles makes handling/cleaning much easier. Humidity generation has never been a problem with either. I use a variable speed aquarium air-pump to tweak conditions in the PMP as needed. Mostly, leave it running on low all the time.

No splash guard in the PMP versus the terrarium would seem to allow easier access to your cakes as well.

Offlinemorian

Re: newbie question, please don't hurt me [Re: BufferOverflow]
    #2966617 - 08/05/04 12:40 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks Butter

Ok, I'm almost convinced of the PMP

How well do the pod type setups work with cased trays? Does the fact that the tray covers most of the pebble surface restrict humidity?

OfflineBufferOverflow
A bit short of abyte

#2967438 - 08/05/04 10:29 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Parkay!

Hehehe, those two f?s do indeed start to look like t?s when you?ve been looking at the screen to long!

My Rubbermaid has tapered sides, and I was lucky enough to find some small kitty litter trays that are long enough to wedge in a few inches above the pebbles. If the trays rested directly on the pebbles they would cover at least 90% of the surface area. The little gap between the trays and pebbles is enough to allow the water to evaporate from the pebbles. At first I was paranoid that condensation from the sides of the Rubbermaid was going to run onto the casings and cause problems, but this has never been an issue. If it had been, I was just going to punch some bolts up higher in the Rubbermaid to support the trays.

Good luck and happy growing.

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #2967813 - 08/05/04 12:32 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I never used a drip shield :goodluck:

:captain:

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever since.

:sun:

Offlinemorian

#2967881 - 08/05/04 12:47 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Oh, holy shit, it is buffer.... Sorry 'bout that, my eyes must be trying to shield my brain from anything computer related. LOL...BuTTerOverflow!

So, do you need a vent with the PMP or is the 3-4 PSI from the pump enough to force air out the cracks in the lid? Also, How big of an aquarium pump? 5000 ml/minute seems to be pretty typical..... so thats about 0.2 CF/M = 12 CF/H so I guess 2-3 CF - volume of contents is the maximum pod size off of one pump for 4-6 air changes per hour. That's pretty reasonable.....

And the pebbles are maintenance free for the whole fruiting run? You just seal the thing up and forget about it other than the sound of the pump?

Sounds pretty bombproof.

OfflineDrone
Derka Derka Derka
Male

Loc: Maryland
    #2968794 - 08/05/04 04:00 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

i think u need to add water once a week. and you should put a hole in the top. magash sujest using a screw and a piece of rubber so you can rotate it over the hole to adjust the size of the hole. this helps control humidity.

--------------------

OfflineBufferOverflow
A bit short of abyte

#2969224 - 08/05/04 05:59 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

An adjustable hole is a good idea, but I just put the lid off to the side as needed. Mostly, the lid is completely on but not clamped tight.

Check this thread out Morian,
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Number=2936272
I think Anno has a great point.

Everyone grows for different reasons and part of the fun for me is doing it by the seat of my pants. I don?t use a temp/humidity sensor. Not sure of my pumps flow-rate either. If I can hunt down the documentation, I'll post it though. Maybe I'm missing out on "optimum" performance but that's not important to me. Getting a single mushroom in spite of myself is the best!

--------------------
All your mushroom are belong to us.

OfflineWorf
Lt. Commander

Loc: Final Frontier
    #2969412 - 08/05/04 06:46 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

e

Edited by Conan The Barbarian (08/04/10 05:56 PM)

Invisiblemycopsycho
Tit Inspector.
Male
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Going Nowhere Fast
Re: newbie question, please don't hurt me [Re: Worf]
    #2969467 - 08/05/04 07:05 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

i'm guessing your talking about hydroton or geolite? unfortunately you cannot purchase these at any hardware store. they are specifically sold at hydroponics type stores or online at hydroponics related sites.

--------------------
I Am The Sickness.

Diploid: I think adults have a right to make stupid decisions and it's nobody else's fucking business.

OfflineBufferOverflow
A bit short of abyte

Re: newbie question, please don't hurt me [Re: mycopsycho]
    #2969554 - 08/05/04 07:28 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Mycopsycho said the magic word, hydroponics. Best try to find it locally cause it?s not too light and would cost as much as the product itself to ship it. Look online for a hydroponics store in your area. Some smoke shops might carry it as well if you have some of those in your area. I picked up 50L of the stuff for under $50. Think it weighed at least 25lb, but I?ve been lifting weights lately so I don?t know my own strength anymore, hehe.

--------------------
All your mushroom are belong to us.

Offlinemorian

#2970486 - 08/05/04 11:33 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Ok, I'm down for the PMP, I'll start on it tomorrow, thanks for the steerage. I just read that whole epic PMP thread, all 20 pages, J*sus..... The one thing I might do that isn't in the PMP thread is use blue LED lighting right in the pod and put the whole thing in a dark closet, very discreet. It sounds like light doesn't matter too much but LEDs are cheap and I have a long standing fetish for them.

Would it be stupid to go directly to cased crumbled cakes or should I try some whole naked cakes first?

Is there an official PMP tek somewhere or is that thread it?

Offlinemorian

Aquarium pump source [Re: morian]
    #2970935 - 08/06/04 03:02 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

This site has a huge selection of aquarium and pond air pumps. I'm eyeing the green one called "outdoor air pump" model 9730. I've seen it on other pages and its supposed to be really quiet. Also, it puts out 0.75 CFM. 0.75 CFM is enough for a few pods I reckon. Scalability! Probably better to have one good pump than a bunch of crap ***mart pumps.

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/listings.categories/ssid/311

It doesn't tell you the ratings on the pumps, but googling the model numbers seems to work fine. I'm only posting this because I had a hard time finding alot of sources with good selections and aquiticeco's prices seem fair compared to others

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #2970941 - 08/06/04 03:08 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom