Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Sourcing oats
    #29606467 -

I just ordered my last pre-made grain bags and am currently researching whole oats.
In my area there's only a tractor supply co and a rural king.
Are producers pride whole oats suitable for mycology use? Google says they don't have any preservatives but may contain traces of glycosphate.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Sourcing oats [Re: fruit2323]
    #29606470 -

My suggestion try millet. While I don't usually buy much from them one thing I will say is northspore has a pretty good deal on a ten pound bag of dry organic millet. Prolly the easiest grain to prep too.


--------------------
🍄❤️ fellow shroomer fam."be the change and kindness you want to see in this world"🙏🏽❤️
Noobies guide: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/28501530#28501530
Instapot Ez grain Tek:https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/29586605

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Sourcing oats [Re: LeoHale420]
    #29606477 -

That's where I've been getting my bags...I got the whole boomr bin setup and am hooked. Lol
I'm switching to doing my own jars and pasty ez dialed tubs to scale up but also keep things cost effective. Have you noticed any major differences in production amount between 5 grain or single grain spawn?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Sourcing oats [Re: fruit2323]
    #29606560 -

The one thing I'll say is don't buy pre-hydrated stuff. Everytime I've had failure it was pre-hydrated coir and pre-prepped/hydrated grain.
Me personally I recently switched from popcorn to the dry millet grain and it's been not only easier to prep but I noticed faster colonization speed as well for most of my cultures. As far as the five grain bag vs single idk.
If your asking because of the pre hydrated five grain bags you got, I'd say the difference between will be more from hydrating and prepping the grain yourself vs trusting pre-prepped than any other factor.
Best way to test that out imo would be to make your own multi grain and single grain jars then compare results with the same culture.


--------------------
🍄❤️ fellow shroomer fam."be the change and kindness you want to see in this world"🙏🏽❤️
Noobies guide: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/28501530#28501530
Instapot Ez grain Tek:https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/29586605

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Sourcing oats [Re: fruit2323] * 1
    #29606564 -

Also you'll LOVE the pasty EZ dial tubs. I use one for my big grows alongside a bunch of shoeboxes. It's truly set and forget. I'm gonna be breaking mine out for an Enigma grow here soon.🤙🏽🍄🩷


--------------------
🍄❤️ fellow shroomer fam."be the change and kindness you want to see in this world"🙏🏽❤️
Noobies guide: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/28501530#28501530
Instapot Ez grain Tek:https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/29586605

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Sourcing oats [Re: LeoHale420]
    #29606567 -

I got a good deal on a big bag of whole oats which turned out to be whole corn but whatever! got a ton of weevils in there too but the price is right.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Sourcing oats [Re: stringerdell]
    #29606575 -

Is there a "we sell a bit of everything store" type of hardware store near you? If they sell hobby gear they might sell horse riding gear and supplies which is where I got my oats. Meant for horse feed but it's whole oats which is what you want.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Sourcing oats [Re: Turvenuija] * 1
    #29606594 -

I always use premium horse oats from Rural King :shrug:


--------------------
"The earth is a very small stage, in a vast cosmic arena.
Our posturing’s, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that
we have some privileged position in the universe, are challenged.
To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one
another, and to preserve, and cherish, the only home, we've ever known."


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Sourcing oats [Re: fruit2323]
    #29606598 -

fruit2323 said:
Are producers pride whole oats suitable for mycology use? Google says they don't have any preservatives but may contain traces of glycosphate.



PP oats work fine. And, for what it’s worth, almost all vegetation contains traces of glyphosate. Even certified organic stuff.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Sourcing oats [Re: fruit2323]
    #29606629 -

Awesome. Thank you all for the replies. The PP oats are 18 bucks for 50 lbs so I'm just gonna run with that for now. Yall are the best!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Sourcing oats [Re: fruit2323]
    #29607022 -

fruit2323 said:
Awesome. Thank you all for the replies. The PP oats are 18 bucks for 50 lbs so I'm just gonna run with that for now. Yall are the best!



I got a 50 lb bag of triple washed oats and I stopped rinsing before boil because the water was crystal clear. I just pull off the floaters before I boil and it’s worked amazing. No issue’s at all so far and have grain for days!!


--------------------
*Not a therapist - Do not take advice from me

Be nice. You are loved. You deserve happiness. You are not alone.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Sourcing oats [Re: JoeTherapist]
    #29608202 -

I’m going back to triple cleaned oats. I’m finishing my wheat, tried it and I don’t see any better growth than oats.  It needs a lot of washing when I could be using the time for other tasks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Can Potassium hydroxide be used instead of hydrated lime? musher_420 1,447 7 01/05/07 12:28 PM
by musher_420
* Tracing back the source of contamination TaoinShrrom 1,174 2 07/05/03 11:35 PM
by factory81
* Peat Moss and Hydrated Lime...Casing questions. Vhal 11,388 16 08/31/05 07:46 AM
by blackout
* hydrated lime lovechild 3,803 15 02/16/03 01:38 PM
by lovechild
* dolomite lime vs. hydrated lime e7c 6,120 2 05/24/03 10:03 PM
by fugu
* Hydrated lime instead of limestone bassplayer74 2,559 5 02/04/02 05:25 PM
by puscle
* Question about hydrated lime? lovepalace 517 1 05/27/05 04:59 PM
by HippieChick
* HYDRATING & PASTEURIZING BULK SUBSTRATE PROPERLY
( 1 2 3 all )
agar 34,559 41 02/10/18 12:20 PM
by Crymsyn

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
149 topic views. 10 members, 86 guests and 135 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.017 seconds spending 0.003 seconds on 14 queries.