Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTaoinShrrom
The Action inInaction

Tracing back the source of contamination
    #1687757 - 07/05/03 11:57 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Hey everyone, first time posting, and a bit sad that my first post should have to be in the contamination section of the forum. I did my first set of PF tek cakes and had a massive contamination problem, only managed to get 1/4 of my jars to the fruiting stage. They have flushed quiet nicely and I am very proud of them. I have created several spore syringes from the batch and am ready to start my next round. My question is, how accuratly can you trace back the source of a contamination? For example if a contaminat starts in the middle of the cake nowhere near an innoculation point can you say it is most likely something that was not killed in sterilization? Or if all the contamination started at the very top of the jar can you say it is most likely a post-innocunlation source, probably horrid blue-green mold spores floating around in the air?

And by the way, this place is great I have greatly exanded both my knowledge and motivation lurking around here.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSev
Astropath
Loc: NY
Re: Tracing back the source of contamination [Re: TaoinShrrom]
    #1687824 - 07/05/03 12:34 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Well, if you wanna be anal, do a batch of control jars.

With half of these, just let them sit on the shelf for a few weeks and see if something develops. If something does, your sterilization is off, or there's some kind of leak in the jar.

With the other half, make 'spore syringes', except just fill the syringes with tap water and PC for 20-30 minutes. After everything cools down, innoculate the other half of the jars that you made just as you would innoculate normal jars, including flaming, etc. If you get something in these jars but not the first set, there's something wrong with your sterile technique.

If -neither- of these grow anything, then the problem was with whatever was in your spore syringe. If you got it from a vendor, complain, otherwise, it could have been on the print or picked up in the process of making the syringe.

--------------------
"Do we want the stars? We can have them. Can we borrow cups of fire from the sun? We can and must and light the world." --"On the Shoulders of Giants", Ray Bradbury

All of my posts are full of fiction and blatant lies.

Offlinefactory81
enthusiast

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ibiza, Spain
Re: Tracing back the source of contamination [Re: Sev]
    #1689191 - 07/06/03 01:35 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

http://fanaticus.fungifun.org/birthday.htm

here you go, should help you trace some things....

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum