Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
How Thick To Make Substrate
    #2941403 - 07/29/04 04:24 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I guess my question is more of when does yeild start flattening off. I know more substrate equals more shrooms but I'm thinking you might not notice a difference of 12 inches to 8 inches thick. The substrate is rye and I have some giant containers (were fruiting chambers) that fit perfectly on a shelf I have. Thats been converted into a martha stewert closet and I'm thinking of cutting the old chambers down but not sure how thick I should lay on the substrate. Space is at a premium and colonized jars arent. Basically trying to squeeze as much shrooms out of my fruiting chamber is the problem. At some point though I'm sure more substrate isnt going to make a difference.

I was thinking 4-6 inches with a 2 inch casing (coir and verm) what do you all think?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefelix
 User Gallery

Re: How Thick To Make Substrate [Re: scatmanrav]
    #2941426 - 07/29/04 04:30 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

that's about how much i've used...more around 2-4 actually and 1 inch of top casing layer. make a couple different sizes.

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

InvisibleMycoCakeEater
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Re: How Thick To Make Substrate [Re: scatmanrav]
    #2941450 - 07/29/04 04:35 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

You can really use as much substrate as you want. Its really just pesonal choice and how long you want to sit and wait for the thing to colonize. I mean you can colonize an entire rubbermaid tub full of poo and straw but it would take longer to colonize depending on how much spawn you used. Mathematics.......

I use 1 part spawn to 4 parts substrate.

If i needed it to be faster I could change 1 of 2 varibles

1. Increase the spawn
-or-
2.Decrease the amount of substrate

Also, more substrate=more mushrooms,more flushes

And yes there would be a difference in yeild between 8 and 12 inches of substrate.
:cool:

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How Thick To Make Substrate [Re: MycoCakeEater]
    #2947812 - 07/31/04 08:39 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Ok after a little more measuring and such..wanted to ask a little more in depth.

1) Which is better, if you have the same amount of substrate..to make it twice as thick or twice as wide. So 4in x 6in and 4in tall or 8in x 6in and 2in tall. Basically a question over surface area vs thickness.

2) Will there be twice as many mushrooms for twice as thick substrate or not quite twice as many, 1.5 times maybe? Something like that?

3) How about twice as much surface area? If its the same thickness. Twice as many 1.5 times as many?

Thanks for the help guys, just trying to maximize my production :smile:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract