Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineHerbanShaman
I am the Walrus

Loc: Everywhere and Nowhere
What are the benefits of a thick substrate layer? Drawbacks?
    #3614338 - 01/11/05 09:10 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Due to space constraints my bud has cased with a really thick substrate layer, about 4" thick. I've heard this makes for heavy flushes, is that true? I'd assume it also makes for more flushes. Are there any drawbacks to this? Thanks

--------------------
"There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible. And there is where God lives, where the dead live, the spirits and the saints, a world where everything has already happened and everything is known. That world talks. It has a language of its own. I report what it says. The sacred mushroom takes me by the hand and brings me to the world where everything is known. It is they, the sacred mushrooms, that speak in a way I can understand. I ask them and they answer me. When I return from the trip that I have taken with them, I tell what they have told me and what they have shown me."
-- Mazatec shaman

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblePrisoner#1M
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What are the benefits of a thick substrate layer? Drawbacks? [Re: HerbanShaman]
    #3614349 - 01/11/05 09:12 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

it makes for larger fruits in most cases, cased it should be good flushes as well as larger fruits

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What are the benefits of a thick substrate layer? Drawbacks? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #3614512 - 01/11/05 09:49 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

My thoughts are you want to get as much mushrooms off a given substrate as quick as possible. You see over time chances increase in the favor of contams and the extra flushes IMHO are not close to the sacrificed surface area given up. For instance a four inch deep sub will flush say eight times before contams will in most cases set in, now take that 4in. and spread it out into two 2in. deep subs and you'll get double the shrooms in the same time period basically. This is a over simplification but ya get the drift :wink: I really haven't seen a dramatic size difference between a two and four inch deep sub but I can say for certain I have seen a difference between a 3/4" and a 2" as far as size is concerned. :wink: GL

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

OfflineHerbanShaman
I am the Walrus

Loc: Everywhere and Nowhere
Re: What are the benefits of a thick substrate layer? Drawbacks? [Re: hyphae]
    #3614675 - 01/11/05 10:38 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks, the replies were helpful. I'm not at all worried about quantity though, and definately not about time. If anything having them spread out over time will be beneficial since they are for personal use and usually lots of them get thrown away; I'm not a fan of dried mushies at all.

--------------------
"There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible. And there is where God lives, where the dead live, the spirits and the saints, a world where everything has already happened and everything is known. That world talks. It has a language of its own. I report what it says. The sacred mushroom takes me by the hand and brings me to the world where everything is known. It is they, the sacred mushrooms, that speak in a way I can understand. I ask them and they answer me. When I return from the trip that I have taken with them, I tell what they have told me and what they have shown me."
-- Mazatec shaman

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What are the benefits of a thick substrate layer? Drawbacks? [Re: HerbanShaman]
    #3616929 - 01/12/05 08:42 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Just remember most of the time the reason for a casing to stop flushing is contams not running out of nutes. :wink: But if your not worried then I believe we have our answer. GL HerbanShaman and may your casings flush prolifically and contams stay at bay! :wink:

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation