Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, pH Test Strips, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibledoktor_alternate
card-carryingAmateurMycologistsAnonymous member
Loc: vancouver
depth of crumbled substrate?
    #1895413 - 09/08/03 07:56 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

ok, ive done a few hours of reading and i cant seem to find a consise, clear answer to this question. some say deep is good, but you should crumble and case, cuz thats good for surface area. so:

suppose, in this hypothetical situation, that i have a limited ammount of colonised substrate. now, do i crumble and case thin, to cover a broad area? or do i keep it thick, so why not straight case in my jars?

i have heard no-one say: you should make it x by y by z as the best ratio. so what do i do? maybe i should just forget about these stupid mushrooms and just go be a squeegee kid for my crack money (pout).

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinetaters
french fried

Loc: the garden
Re: depth of crumbled substrate? [Re: doktor_alternate]
    #1895426 - 09/08/03 08:03 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

i have heard no-one say: you should make it x by y by z as the best ratio.

That's because there is no "best" answer. IME, crumbled & cased PF cakes produce the best with a substrate depth of 1-2 inches, surface area of no less than 30 square inches.

Re: depth of crumbled substrate? [Re: taters]
    #1895650 - 09/08/03 09:24 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

and as casing should be 1/4 of your substrate depth, casing layer should be 1/4-1/2 an inch thick? i thought casing layers should be 1 inch minimum. do you case yours?

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: depth of crumbled substrate? [Re: doktor_alternate]
    #1895695 - 09/08/03 09:39 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

O.k.

The depth deterimines *how many flushes* you will have. However, another consideration comes into play -- how good are you at evenly casing a substrate? It's a lot harder to case a thin substrate evenly than it is a thick substrate.

I ususally use a substrate depth of <1/2" and it gets two or three very large flushes (the third not being so plentiful, but the shroomies are huge!) I think a thinner substrate depth is better if you're good at casing and you're worried about the time it takes to produce colonized substrate, or if you're concerned with area. Professional growers use really large depths of substrate, but they have the ability to do so, and it's probably more economic because you get more flushes per casing. As for the home grower, however, you usually want to maximixe the amount of mushrooms you get in a given amount of time with a given amount of substrate. Less flushes also means less chance of contamination.

If you are not really good at casing, however, you should probably stick to an inch or more. If you attempt to do a thin layer casing remember to crumble it really small and apply the substrate as well as the casing very evenly with little to no shallow parts, or else you'll get a lot of overlay. I always use AT LEAST 1/2" of casing, even if the substrate is a bit thinner. I probably still use about 1/2 inch of casing for 1 inch substrate. For more substrate the 1:4 rule is probably fine.

Another ideal is to fruit at the right time -- cold shock then change temps when the mycelium is *evenly* *poking* through the casing layer.

I hope that helped a bit,

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Edited by micro (09/08/03 09:43 PM)

Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

Re: depth of crumbled substrate? [Re: micro]
    #1897719 - 09/09/03 12:25 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

you might want to consider spawning that cake to poo and straw. It's not much more work and AFOAF had very, very good results. Doubling the yield of his cakes.

--------------------
Everything written above this line is completely false. I am terribly bored and write here to pass time. I do not participate or support any illegal activity.

Re: depth of crumbled substrate? [Re: thisone]
    #1898301 - 09/09/03 03:26 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

yeah, alotta people like poo. i, however, dont particularily like the smell that poo has, and dont really want my apartment to smell like poo. ive heard that even straight vermiculite will work 'just fine'. if its tryptamine content that u want, why not just supplement some rye grain with some indole stuff, like OTC indoleacetic acid? (pH balanced to 7, of course)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, pH Test Strips, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation