Home | Community | Message Board

PlanetSpores.ca
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Presto - 16 Quart Pressure Cooker - Trivet Mod * 4
    #29035587 -

Here's how I do stuff and things...

So I recently purchased the Presto 16 quart Pressure cooker.

So I add the minimum amount of water which is 3 quarts, then I place trivet into PC. When I add my jars to the PC,the water level rises almost to the top of the jar! Can't have that so I went to my local hardware store and bought a stick of aluminium angle.

2" x 2" x 1/8"

I rough cut the shapes to match and sized to fit inside where the 90 degree is up and the widest part of the metal down. Similar to the letter 'A'.


So to prevent scratching and any sort of damage to PC I filed and sanded the rough/sharp edges then covered any contact areas with silicone as a bumper.


So now I filled it up 3 quarts and put my angle pieces in and they rise above the water by at least 1/4"

You can tell by the overhead light's reflection.

Now I place the trivet on top of the metal pieces and as you can see in picture, the level is just below trivet now. You can see the waters miniscus in each hole.


Now the trivet is at the top of the minimum water level for this PC. Jars, tools, media and contaminants alike may now enjoy the full power of pressurized steam...

I hope this helps somebody.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Presto - 16 Quart Pressure Cooker - Trivet Mod [Re: DV8DUG]
    #29035590 -

:yougoodjob:

Seems high effort. I don't even place the rack in mine anymore?


--------------------
The better guide to grow mushrooms.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/8553541

Beware the power of one.  The power of two. The power of many.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Presto - 16 Quart Pressure Cooker - Trivet Mod [Re: DV8DUG] * 1
    #29036048 -

You just stack jars on the bottom?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Presto - 16 Quart Pressure Cooker - Trivet Mod [Re: DV8DUG] * 4
    #29036058 -

I'm sure it works fine, but yeah it looks like overkill.  I just wad up balls of used aluminum foil for trivet standoffs.  I've been using the same foil balls for 3 years now.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Presto - 16 Quart Pressure Cooker - Trivet Mod [Re: PBJ710] * 2
    #29036099 -





--------------------
“All Fungi are edible.

Some fungi are only edible once.”
― Terry Pratchett


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Presto - 16 Quart Pressure Cooker - Trivet Mod [Re: Kloakk]
    #29036135 -

Kloakk said:






What material are your bolts made from? I was worried about using steel components inside aluminum PC. I use a similar method for my workspace and used to use them to raise up cakes in my water tub.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Presto - 16 Quart Pressure Cooker - Trivet Mod [Re: PBJ710]
    #29036138 -

PBJ710 said:
I'm sure it works fine, but yeah it looks like overkill.  I just wad up balls of used aluminum foil for trivet standoffs.  I've been using the same foil balls for 3 years now.



I see where you're coming from that account. Sometimes I just enjoy custom ass shit that does the job perfectly.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Presto - 16 Quart Pressure Cooker - Trivet Mod [Re: DV8DUG]
    #29036555 -

DV8DUG said:
What material are your bolts made from? I was worried about using steel components inside aluminum PC. I use a similar method for my workspace and used to use them to raise up cakes in my water tub.





Stainless, acid resistant steel, I've used it with my brew kettle for 6 years, so far so good :dancer: Oooo nice cake shelf :naughty:


--------------------
“All Fungi are edible.

Some fungi are only edible once.”
― Terry Pratchett


Edited by Kloakk (11/25/24 10:49 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Presto - 16 Quart Pressure Cooker - Trivet Mod [Re: DV8DUG]
    #29036560 -

DV8DUG said:
You just stack jars on the bottom?



I also use small jars but i add atleast 4 inches of water, wont hurt anything but it will keep your pressure cooker from burning out and warping on your stove
On the jiggler for psi I usea quarter on top so it maxes out at 18 psi

Edited by 99.99 (11/25/24 10:27 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Presto - 16 Quart Pressure Cooker - Trivet Mod [Re: DV8DUG]
    #29037247 -

DV8DUG said:
You just stack jars on the bottom?



Yes.


--------------------
The better guide to grow mushrooms.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/8553541

Beware the power of one.  The power of two. The power of many.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Presto - 16 Quart Pressure Cooker - Trivet Mod [Re: vicepope] * 1
    #29038452 -





1 inch a side aluminum square rod.


--------------------
Laminar Breeze

Filter: 24x24x5.875 Koch
Pre: Dupont Ultimate 9600 14x20x1
Blower: 1TDT2

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Presto - 16 Quart Pressure Cooker - Trivet Mod [Re: haniblecter] * 1
    #29038464 -



--------------------
It takes guts to be
gentle and kind

Another way to live

Your ego is your nemesis.
Seek the truth tirelessly,
Even at the cost of your own sanity.
-fiddle_head

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Presto - 16 Quart Pressure Cooker - Trivet Mod [Re: LadysKnight] * 1
    #29038570 -

I just use the rings on my ball jars when I first started. Got some raised aluminum bottoms for this specifically off the Zon for cheap (2 pack).

I can appreciate a custom/DIY approach to anything though. Just don't want people to think they need to over do it

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Presto - 16 Quart Pressure Cooker - Trivet Mod [Re: vicepope] * 1
    #29038579 -

vicepope said:
DV8DUG said:
You just stack jars on the bottom?



Yes.



:justno:


--------------------
It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn
I'm tired do me a favor

I'M A MEMBER FIRST, TC WHEN NEEDED AND MOD WHEN I HAVE TO BE !!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Presto - 16 Quart Pressure Cooker - Trivet Mod [Re: 99.99]
    #29210226 -

Using jar lids to add some lift seems pretty straight forward.

When sterilizing jars, does it matter if some water touches the lower part of the jar? I imagine this is a no-no for bags but jars should be fine.

Also, why add a quarter for 18 PSI when 15 is sufficient?

I'm thinking about getting the 16 quart Presto Canner from Walmart. Any reason not to for someone starting out?


--------------------
Is not what we see or seem but a dream within a dream? -Edgar Allan Poe

:mushroom2:The Hitchhikers Guide to the Shroomery:mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Presto - 16 Quart Pressure Cooker - Trivet Mod [Re: Harpo67]
    #29210268 -

EDIT: DV8DUG, thanks for sharing this.
That's just the solution I need for my PC. However, I need to get a custom made rack as well 😁


Water touching the bottom of the jars = no issues.


I'll be careful to say anything about the bags, but for one you definitely don't want them to suck in water somehow.

I've had bags touching the water, no issues (raised on a rack, to have more than enough space between the bags and the heating element).


Why not add a quarter, if it ups the chance of success by as little as 1%?
Would feel bad, if an entire batch went bad because you didn't bother with the quarter.

It's theoretically comparable to running a 30min longer cycle, higher temps are more effective.

Edited by MycCycle (05/07/25 07:54 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Presto - 16 Quart Pressure Cooker - Trivet Mod [Re: MycCycle]
    #29210274 -

I used aluminum foil balls to raise trivet first time I used PC. Second time though, I got some 3" bolts, nuts, and washers and screwed them into the trivet and definitely prefer it this way!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Presto - 16 Quart Pressure Cooker - Trivet Mod [Re: Kloakk]
    #29480817 -

Ok the Bolts method seems easier and more stable than other methods and cheaper. I'll do this! Thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Presto - 16 Quart Pressure Cooker - Trivet Mod [Re: HydroShroom24]
    #29480857 -

HydroShroom24 said:
Ok the Bolts method seems easier and more stable than other methods and cheaper. I'll do this! Thanks



It works great, just a small thing, get some high temp end caps or use a bead of RTV for the bolt ends, to protect you PC :awesomenod:


--------------------
“All Fungi are edible.

Some fungi are only edible once.”
― Terry Pratchett


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Presto - 16 Quart Pressure Cooker - Trivet Mod [Re: Kloakk]
    #29480884 -

I use a dinner plate to raise mine up a little bit extra


--------------------
~ I used to get high on life, until I realized life was cut with morons ~
* You need 2 wake up and smell the music! *
- We are all computer data in a materialistic world -
| Sometimes you have to lose yourself, to find anything |

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* How to use the presto 6 quart pressure cooker myco_holic 1,866 9 09/24/02 12:02 PM
by myco_holic
* 6 quart Pressure cooker, how many 1/2 jars? pillsbury420 5,522 4 01/27/03 04:50 AM
by pillsbury420
* Presto 12-quart candykid420 1,211 9 08/29/04 05:31 PM
by candykid420
* Pressure Cooker or Canner? punkgod94 2,151 8 10/02/04 09:54 PM
by KaptKid
* how do i use this pressure cooker? downforpot 1,208 7 11/25/01 11:02 PM
by Anno
* Presto 22 or 23 Quart Pressure Cooker Signo 1,945 7 06/14/03 08:03 AM
by Raedon
* Presto a good pressure cooker brand? I_Stain_Blue 1,722 3 06/25/03 08:35 PM
by Raedon
* Re: Maitres 12 quart pressure cooker question? Anonymous 999 2 01/06/00 09:24 PM
by Anonymous

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
616 topic views. 15 members, 184 guests and 245 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.033 seconds spending 0.011 seconds on 16 queries.