Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
The I Ching
    #2280981 - 01/28/04 01:53 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

The I ching is the oldest known liturature in the east's history, and is said to have been written at the dawn of civilization. Supposodly, the I Ching, is an ancient book written around 2000bc. The i ching has been reguarded as Chinas most sacred and elusive text. With many things in it considered coded. The main purpose is to go deeper into the force called Tao, or the life force/spirit, whatever. It also touches on subjects like Yin(female) and Yang(male) aspects of the Tao. It is consulted as a means of divination, and is said to reveal great mysteries to those who seek it with clear purpose and non self ambitious concerns. Many people think Confusious added to it, but he says " I merly acted as a scribe to copy and translate the I ching" or roughly that... So anyways, has anyone like shroomism or markos or others looked deeper into the I ching, and tried to make some sense of it? It wasent translated into english until the late 19th century, or so I found out. Why was such an ancient and knowledgeful book of wisdom and secrets unknown to most americans and the world until late in time? What can we learn from the pages and divination methods, which were said to be interpreted from the back of a divine turtle shell, which was a means of ancient divination in the olden days considered very acurate and tested by those who knew how to interpret it. Lets uncover some of the secrets behind this text. Please feel free to add any knowledge of the subhect you have gained in your time.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineVulture
Pursuer ofWisdom
 User Gallery

Loc: SC
Re: The I Ching [Re: 2Experimental]
    #2281076 - 01/28/04 02:16 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

my friends dad has a book called the dragon or something like that...the western mans guide to the i-ching. Is enormouse and i was goin to read it but it was too deep for me at the moment...being in the middle of a couple other books right now...but ill remember to check it out since i havent herd much about it before.

--------------------
Work like you dont need the money.

Love like you never been hurt.

Dance like nobody is watching.

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
    #2281081 - 01/28/04 02:18 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

So anyways, has anyone like shroomism or markos or others looked deeper into the I ching, and tried to make some sense of it?

Instead of relying on these individuals to supply you with your thoughts, may I suggest that you look deeper into the I ching and formulate your own opinion. 

If you have done so and are looking to discuss your ideas with those people, disregard this post. :laugh:

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: The I Ching [Re: SpecialEd]
    #2281195 - 01/28/04 02:42 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

"Instead of relying on these individuals to supply you with your thoughts, may I suggest that you look deeper into the I ching and formulate your own opinion. "

lol thats kinda a cheap shot, but I agree. I wasent saying they were the divine source of info on all things spiritual and I would use thier words to form how I think, rather, asking opinions from everyone who posts here, including the former mentioned.

So...

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
    #2281210 - 01/28/04 02:46 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

It wasn't intended as a cheap shot, it's just that Shroomism's "The aliens are coming" thread turned into a discussion about people swallowing ideas whole. I apologize if that was below the belt.

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: The I Ching [Re: SpecialEd]
    #2281229 - 01/28/04 02:49 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

kinda funny me and my friend who posts here refer to shrromery people and their ideas in conversations, and sometimes when im high they make alot of sense!! so now that this thread has been hijacked, i'd like to bring it back to its former subject of the I Ching and what knowledge we can gain!

Invisibletruekimbo2
Cya later, friends.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ny Flag
    #2284308 - 01/29/04 02:31 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

The i-ching is a very nice attempt at fitting all situations into a framework of understanding that is condusive to acting in the most tao way possible.
when you've made a thourogh study of all the hexagrams, and how the energy flows bettween them its supposed to help you be able to recognise those patterns of energy in everything and act accordingly.

--------------------
You can check the last post in my journal for contact info.

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #2286436 - 01/30/04 07:00 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

(one of many online points to consult the oracle)
www.facade.com
~
to those who do consult the oracle:
sticks, or coins to determine the lines of the trigrams & hexagrams?
~
it is a way to interact with the world's oldest binary computer program...
~
~

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: The I Ching [Re: gnrm23]
    #2287295 - 01/30/04 01:59 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

___
- - -
___

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #2287399 - 01/30/04 02:49 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I just tried this yesterday, me and Kaiowas did it following the biorhythm link... Facade, I think, like grnm posted. I actually found it pretty damned accurate, and so did he... we both think it fit our question regarding our life paths pretty damned accurately.

Amazing stuff, nonetheless...
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Loc: Comfy chair in my lounger...
Re: The I Ching [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2288227 - 01/30/04 08:58 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I found this I ching site recently for readings - I like it a little better than facade because it gives you the reading in plain english rather than "it would be unwise to cross the great stream" or "it would be advantageous to see the great man".

http://www.wejees.net/wejeesi-chingreading.html

--------------------
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

"Being bitter and hateful is like drinking a vial of poison and hoping the other person gets sick" FreakQLibrium

"My motto from here on out is: If someone or something (including me) in my life is conducting themselves in such a way that they can be seen on Jerry Springer, it's time to take out the garbage!!! When you stop taking their behaviour personally and see their antics as a true reflection on their character, it becomes absolutely nauseating." Anon. on abusive relationships.

OfflineVulture
Pursuer ofWisdom
 User Gallery

Loc: SC
Re: The I Ching [Re: gnrm23]
    #2288536 - 01/30/04 10:56 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

gnrm23 said:
(one of many online points to consult the oracle)
www.facade.com
~
to those who do consult the oracle:
sticks, or coins to determine the lines of the trigrams & hexagrams?
~
it is a way to interact with the world's oldest binary computer program...
~
~

so am i supposed to ask it a question or something?

--------------------
Work like you dont need the money.

Love like you never been hurt.

Dance like nobody is watching.

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
    #2288852 - 01/31/04 01:30 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

The main problem with the I Ching is that it's a translated text. You need a good translation. The most common version in the english language was translated from old chinese to new chinese to german to english. This is bad.

There's one called the complete I Ching, translated by a man named Alfred Huang. Alfred is his anglicized name. He's a Chinese daoist who studied the I Ching with an I Ching master for many years and then went on to become a university professor in China. I believe this is a better source than a translation by a German who didn't believe the book held any merit beyond being an interesting book for a scholar to translate. I guarantee that if you compare the knowledge and wisdom in Huang's translation to any other translation out there you'll agree with me. It completely outshines the other books, so check it out.

As for my opinion of the I Ching, I believe using it is an excellent way to communicate with yourself. All reflective divination systems are good for this. You get advice from a part of you that can be pretty hard to hear most of the time. This is why open-endedness is key to the I Ching, and one of Huang's criticisms of earlier english translations is that some hexagrams are too specific.

Fact: Take a piece of heated bronze and touch it to an ox or a turtle shell so it cracks and repeat a thousand times. Now analyze the pattern of the cracks with a computer that can interpret them mathematically and you will have 8 basic cracking patterns, the same number as the fundamental 8 trigrams of the I Ching. Funky eh? They know this from archeologists digging and then analyzing tons of these pre-I Ching divination "tools".

Offlinegotmagog
searching fortruth andlogic...

Loc: Europe
    #2875335 - 07/10/04 03:57 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

The I Ching is amazing!!

I am usually a skeptic about such stuff, but I tried it 2 weeks ago. And the reading I got was 100% accurate, amazing! This is some magic, I still don't know how to explain to myself why it works!

But it works!

Offlineeve69
--=..Did Adam and ...?=--
Male User Gallery

Loc: isle de la muerte Flag
    #2875356 - 07/10/04 04:28 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Crowley also made a translation of the Iching which is pretty fascinating.

--------------------
...or something

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
Re: The I Ching [Re: gotmagog]
    #2875641 - 07/10/04 09:42 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

This is some magic, I still don't know how to explain to myself why it works!
It works because the text is so completely open-ended that it can be interpreted any number of ways. Because of this, it reflects hidden parts of your mind (subconscious) to your conscious mind.

Alfred Huang's translation The Complete I Ching is by far superior to all others. I got it a few years ago and anyone who uses the I Ching I know who reads this version drops all others and gets the huang version.

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #2876294 - 07/10/04 04:29 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I have used the I Ching for many years and it is amazing. A few years ago I had come to a lull in my life, just smoking a lot of weed and watching tv, hanging with friends, etc. I used the coin method and got the "standstill" hexagram three times in a row which perfectly described my situation at the time. The final time I got that hexagram there was a moving line and it said that standstill was coming to an end. Shortly after that, my life started moving again.

I use it two or three times a year to get a feel for where my life is at at that time.

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

Edited by Jellric (07/10/04 04:31 PM)

OfflinePanoramix
Getafix
Male

Loc: Everywhere else
    #2876839 - 07/10/04 09:56 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, I've gotten myself a little I Ching setup of old bronze coins and it's some pretty amazing stuff, I've spooked myself out with its accuracy a number of times.  The translation I've got in-house is pretty lousy though...

"It works because the text is so completely open-ended that it can be interpreted any number of ways."  Yeah, that's pretty much what it's going for.  Kinda tricky to reduce the Tao to specifics, really.  Though it's not like it's totally ambiguous vaguery, either.  Most of the hexagrams are fairly topical, and they tend to only present themselves in appropriate context..  Not to mention that I've wanted to toss a specific hexagram and then proceeded to do so 5 times in a row (18 coin tosses per hexagram).  That was the spooky stuff, I had to hide under my bed for a while after that and compose myself.

"it is a way to interact with the world's oldest binary computer program"
Heh heh, yeahhh...  :grin: :smirk: I like that. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

--------------------
Don't worry, I'm wrong.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: The I Ching [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #2877015 - 07/10/04 11:23 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Mixomatosis said:

Alfred Huang's translation The Complete I Ching is by far superior to all others. I got it a few years ago and anyone who uses the I Ching I know who reads this version drops all others and gets the huang version.

Good, because I just ordered this off amazon.com.  :smile:  Can't wait until I get it.

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
Re: The I Ching [Re: MOTH]
    #2877050 - 07/10/04 11:37 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Good, because I just ordered this

good work I wouldn't touch any other translation after checking out Huang's.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds